2014 music police scammers

piewarmer

In our pub today we had a visit from a young lady on a motorbike.

We're not even open yet. She wanted to collect 2,500B for a music lisence.

She had documents from MPC who are actually a genuine company.

We told her we will ring her tomorrow, I expect get a visit from the scammers tonight.

I created this topic again because all the other threads are over 6 months old...

I'll update as required, or maybe someone already has relevant info,

cheers, piewarmer.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up, forewarned is forearmed.

I was waiting myself as its exactly a year ago. Lock shields and keep in mind its not genuine.

Body language and their attitude is the first giveaway, honest companies don't behave unreasonably.

you are a bit vulnerable where you are, get some mates in, keep your tills empty, lock your internal doors, remove cds, from light fingers and never never pay money to a door to door salesman.

Cameras at the ready and prepare for lockdown procedure.

I will give the heads up in the spa community, word needs to spread fast.

Good luck

• Like 1

Somewhere, maybe in the old thread, or through City News, there was a detailed description of what to do if they come knocking. I remember City Life getting on the band wagon and the Police eventually showing some interest. Would definitely be worth being well prepared.

Let's hope some stiff resistance will see them off again (until the inevitable next time).

It does seem odd that they would give you a warning and time to prepare. Their chief advantage is that they take you by surprise with overwhelming force. Is it possible that this is legitimate?

Don't talk out of your backside

Music copyright us governed by the british music industry BMI and EMI.

I am sure you don't play the thai stuff so no worries.

The big 2 are all you need to be concerned about and only if you get a complaint beforehand.

Little chiang mai in the middle of no where is not going to affect copyright and royalty income of lady ga ga or rihanna is it.

How much is a proper license by the way?

If it is the scammers, there is no such thing as a "proper licence". They are going to come up with some excuse to say that you owe money, no matter what.

An interesting article ref the murky world of music copyright law in Thailand, may be of interest to some ..Link provided below

http://www.thebigchilli.com/1/post/2012/09/breaking-the-law.html

How much is a proper license by the way?

If it is the scammers, there is no such thing as a "proper licence". They are going to come up with some excuse to say that you owe money, no matter what.

Do you have personal experience of this? Having the appropriate performance license and them ignoring it?

I have a cunning plan.......

https://musopen.org/?gclid=CJCo77PexrwCFdHLtAodG1AAwg

http://www.openmusicarchive.org/

http://freemusicarchive.org/

http://www.pdinfo.com/Public-Domain-Music-List.php

If it is not copyrighted, you can tell them to Foxtrot Oscar, or ask them to produce their list and show that the current song is on it.

As the saying goes, "Never Bullshit a Bullshitter".

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Somewhere, maybe in the old thread, or through City News, there was a detailed description of what to do if they come knocking. I remember City Life getting on the band wagon and the Police eventually showing some interest. Would definitely be worth being well prepared.

Let's hope some stiff resistance will see them off again (until the inevitable next time).

Here you go - Chiang Mai City News Article

• Like 2

It does seem odd that they would give you a warning and time to prepare. Their chief advantage is that they take you by surprise with overwhelming force. Is it possible that this is legitimate?

The big 2 are all you need to be concerned about and only if you get a complaint beforehand.

Little chiang mai in the middle of no where is not going to affect copyright and royalty income of lady ga ga or rihanna is it.

You have a positive gift for lowering the level of discourse. Maybe not quite so much for common sense. These copyright questions are very complicated.It may be that BMI and EMI have their own offices here. Or, like Grammy, outsource their enforcement to others. If there were any hard informationon that soce in what you just posted, I might be inclined to overlook the nastiness. As it stands. all your posting was good for is bluster.

Are u serious ??? BMI and EMI have no relevance here !!! BMI is not even a record label but EMI is so what's the connection ?

• Like 1

If you read the article referred to by MB1 you will see that music copyrights for international artists do exist in Thailand so your rudeness is just masking your ignorance.

From past reports these guys don't seem to be using the usual modus operandi so either they are a new group of chancers or they do indeed represent MPC. If they are genuine they should be able to give you a list of artists or record labels that they collect for and so long as you don't have them you are okay. The lack of threat or rudeness suggests they may be genuine or just low level chancers rather than the serious mafia-like scammers that were doing the rounds.

If my memory serves me right , Pedr from the old Olde Bell orgainised a group rate for the bars nearby for a one year licence from a company in Bangkok. It may be mentioned in the previous topics. I think it was in the region of a couple of thousand per bar per year. Worth thinking about if it keeps the scammers away.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

By the way, if they are genuine they will be merely trying to sell a licence that technically you should have and they are out to just do that - sell you a licence, with proper receipts and licences of course. Any threats of 20,000+baht fines , police involvement or confiscating your equipment will tell you that they are scammers.

• Like 1

You have a positive gift for lowering the level of discourse. Maybe not quite so much for common sense. These copyright questions are very complicated.It may be that BMI and EMI have their own offices here. Or, like Grammy, outsource their enforcement to others. If there were any hard informationon that soce in what you just posted, I might be inclined to overlook the nastiness. As it stands. all your posting was good for is bluster.
Yes sorry I was the one talking out of my backside.

Last time I am drinking 3 changs !

• Like 1

The lady from MPC (apparently) wanted B2,500...which is well below the market rate if you check their website....hmm

For most bars or restaurants it looks like the rate should be 10,000 per year, so maybe they're being realistic and charging a more affordable rate depending on the establishment. It shouldn't be too difficult to establish if she is genuine or not.

As I said before, I'm sure Pedr organised a discounted rate for the bars around him a few years ago and 2,500 was about the rate. So long as she is genuine it sounds about right and reasonable to me. It would be something to keep the scammers away at least.

http://www.mpcmusic.co.th/en/index.php?menu=tariff

The lady from MPC (apparently) wanted B2,500...which is well below the market rate if you check their website....hmm

Mr piewarmer, we haven't had an update.

You quite rightly brought this to everyones attention last week.

I have forewarned the spa community and we all have our hot herbal balls at the ready. I also have installed a big switch to convert mood and relaxation into a western karaoke at any hint of intrusion.

So what happened? False alarm ,genuine or scammers just stupid enough to arrive at closing time.

• 1 month later...

Lady from RS music came last night at 7:30.

My staff said boss the police are here wanting to see our papers.

So she lies to the staff and only has a scanned ID on a lanyard.

She was stubborn for a few minutes, she got nothing.....

Out the door nearly in tears she went. BF on motorbike outside waiting.

Apparently there is another thread now....

• Like 1

Too bad the other topic was closed. That was the one in a language I can read.

Lady from RS music came last night at 7:30.

My staff said boss the police are here wanting to see our papers.

So she lies to the staff and only has a scanned ID on a lanyard.

She was stubborn for a few minutes, she got nothing.....

Out the door nearly in tears she went. BF on motorbike outside waiting.

Apparently there is another thread now....