Phuket Immigration Nightmare

phuketjock

Sorry to hear Phuketjock you were not happy with the 'wannabee policeman' and 'ticket guards' when you came to extend your visa. Perhaps the following explanation might help.

The reason the Phuket 'wannabee policeman', as you call them. volunteers do what they do is because they are instructed by senior Thai officers to do so and why they insist, the Thai officers i.e , your papers are checked first by the volunteers.. I'll try to explain:

There is something like 100 or more nationalities coming through the door at the Phuket office during the year, some to extend a visa, some to get a retirement, education, marriage, dependent visa, medical extension, B Visa, Court appearance orders, Certificate of Residence tourist visa extension etc etc. and many of these 'wannabee stay in Thailand geysers' don't speak or read English, can't fill out the forms provided, don't understand the protocol of a particular visa, don't understand why they have been fined for overstay, should I go on?. Especially difficult to deal with is the English language difficulty of Italians, Spanish, French, Russians et al, too many to mention here. One advantage the 'wannabee ticket guards have is some are multilingual and can advise in the language of the customer inquiring about his needs.

Before the ticket machine was introduced many farangs who'd been coming for years and those that thought they had everything all in place never bothered to go to the information counter first. They went direct to the back row and waited to spring into action, i.e jump into the first vacant seat of their favourite officer, (often with a gratuity of some kind) and often short sheeting others who had been waiting to be seen much longer. Furthermore and unfortunately it is the case that more often or not many of the forms they presented were not correctly filled out, e.g. not signed , not dated, insufficient bank letters, outdated and importantly the entire package was not collated correctly. That word collated means, I'm sure you understand. they were not in proper order as expected.

This meant the eager beaver farang who thought he's been here long enough to know what was expected each time he came to extend the visa of his choice had to wait while the Thai officer frustratingly put every paper in order, and maybe also for the next farang in line. In the meantime the people who had been waiting a long time to be seen and were displaced in the Que by the eager selfish beaver had to wait even longer. You too Phuketjock admit the officer had to search through your papers to find the TM7. That meant your papers weren't in proper order either.

The 'wannabee' was trying to save you and the Thai officer you were going to sit down to chat with TIME.,and also to make sure you were not disadvantaged by some Que jumper. The ticket machine works, it has increased the daily output of visa approvals, and by the way, the 'wannabee police officers"do the work they do voluntarily, there is no pay, or gratuity, special advantage in doing the work they do, no special visa, buy their own uniforms as required and transportation costs, but they are subject to the unkind words of some who just don't bother to think about or appreciate the work they do. Next time you come, Phuketjock, and if the ticket machine is hopefully still working, you will be asked again to show your papers and hopefully this time you'll understand why. May I respectfully suggest Jock you have a wee dram before you come and by the way don't forget your 90 day report. You'll be asked once more to show your papers for that too.

Edited by PlastikbinLina

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the volunteers in Phuket Immigration are great, although they should be paid IMO.

They are just helpful people. Can you imagine the mayhem if they werent there?

they all retired and don't work = vip for fast extension every year..

I think the volunteers in Phuket Immigration are great, although they should be paid IMO.

They are just helpful people. Can you imagine the mayhem if they werent there?

There was no mayhem when they were not there that is one of the points of my op.

The introduction of the ticket machine has, combined with the know-it-all attitude of

the supercilious volunteers, ( one of whom missed the very document he was supposed

to be checking for in my case if you read my op ) served to do nothing but greatly

compound the little mayhem that may have previously existed.

Well done ticket guards/volunteers clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

try that today with all the russians coming hahah..without the falang-volunteers immigrations officers would need to work their ass off..

Sorry to hear Phuketjock you were not happy with the 'wannabee policeman' and 'ticket guards' when you came to extend your visa. Perhaps the following explanation might help.

The reason the Phuket 'wannabee policeman', as you call them. volunteers do what they do is because they are instructed by senior Thai officers to do so and why they insist, the Thai officers i.e , your papers are checked first by the volunteers.. I'll try to explain:

There is something like 100 or more nationalities coming through the door at the Phuket office during the year, some to extend a visa, some to get a retirement, education, marriage, dependent visa, medical extension, B Visa, Court appearance orders, Certificate of Residence tourist visa extension etc etc. and many of these 'wannabee stay in Thailand geysers' don't speak or read English, can't fill out the forms provided, don't understand the protocol of a particular visa, don't understand why they have been fined for overstay, should I go on?. Especially difficult to deal with is the English language difficulty of Italians, Spanish, French, Russians et al, too many to mention here. One advantage the 'wannabee ticket guards have is some are multilingual and can advise in the language of the customer inquiring about his needs.

Before the ticket machine was introduced many farangs who'd been coming for years and those that thought they had everything all in place never bothered to go to the information counter first. They went direct to the back row and waited to spring into action, i.e jump into the first vacant seat of their favourite officer, (often with a gratuity of some kind) and often short sheeting others who had been waiting to be seen much longer. Furthermore and unfortunately it is the case that more often or not many of the forms they presented were not correctly filled out, e.g. not signed , not dated, insufficient bank letters, outdated and importantly the entire package was not collated correctly. That word collated means, I'm sure you understand. they were not in proper order as expected.

This meant the eager beaver farang who thought he's been here long enough to know what was expected each time he came to extend the visa of his choice had to wait while the Thai officer frustratingly put every paper in order, and maybe also for the next farang in line. In the meantime the people who had been waiting a long time to be seen and were displaced in the Que by the eager selfish beaver had to wait even longer. You too Phuketjock admit the officer had to search through your papers to find the TM7. That meant your papers weren't in proper order either.

The 'wannabee' was trying to save you and the Thai officer you were going to sit down to chat with TIME.,and also to make sure you were not disadvantaged by some Que jumper. The ticket machine works, it has increased the daily output of visa approvals, and by the way, the 'wannabee police officers"do the work they do voluntarily, there is no pay, or gratuity, special advantage in doing the work they do, no special visa, buy their own uniforms as required and transportation costs, but they are subject to the unkind words of some who just don't bother to think about or appreciate the work they do. Next time you come, Phuketjock, and if the ticket machine is hopefully still working, you will be asked again to show your papers and hopefully this time you'll understand why. May I respectfully suggest Jock you have a wee dram before you come and by the way don't forget your 90 day report. You'll be asked once more to show your papers for that too.

"This meant the eager beaver farang who thought he's been here long enough to know what was expected each time he came to extend the visa of his choice had to wait while the Thai officer frustratingly put every paper in order, and maybe also for the next farang in line. In the meantime the people who had been waiting a long time to be seen and were displaced in the Que by the eager selfish beaver had to wait even longer. You too Phuketjock admit the officer had to search through your papers to find the TM7. That meant your papers weren't in proper order either. "

What complete and utter codswallop.

My paperwork was perfectly in order until your hapless "wanabee" got his sticky mitts on them and mixed them all up which is why

he could not find the TM7 form he asked me about which was on the top when I handed the bundle to him.

When I eventually got the number I asked for I had to re-sort the pile for the immigration officer who had, susequently no problem

processing my application.

I am guessing you are a member of the "wanabees" by your staunch defense of their inefficiency?

biggrin.pngfacepalm.gif

I personally have no desire to discuss/reveal my immigration and family matters with a foreign volunteer.

It would be ok if there were Thai Immigration officials to triage customers and control queuing.

Yes, Thai law dictates that I have to deal with Thai Immigration officers to extend my stay here, etc and I am more than happy to do this.

But why should an unpaid foreign volunteer be privy to my most personal of information including, home address, my income, tax paid, children's ages, date of my marriage, etc?

This is an invasion of privacy that I really do not like.

No issues with there being volunteers to help those (mostly tourists) that need help.

"This meant the eager beaver farang who thought he's been here long enough to know what was expected each time he came to extend the visa of his choice had to wait while the Thai officer frustratingly put every paper in order, and maybe also for the next farang in line. In the meantime the people who had been waiting a long time to be seen and were displaced in the Que by the eager selfish beaver had to wait even longer. You too Phuketjock admit the officer had to search through your papers to find the TM7. That meant your papers weren't in proper order either. "

My paperwork was perfectly in order until your hapless "wanabee" got his sticky mitts on them and mixed them all up which is why

he could not find the TM7 form he asked me about which was on the top when I handed the bundle to him.

When I eventually got the number I asked for I had to re-sort the pile for the immigration officer who had, susequently no problem

I am guessing you are a member of the "wanabees" by your staunch defense of their inefficiency?

biggrin.pngfacepalm.gif

Man get a live or a beer, if the immigration experience is the worst thing you encounter in Thailand then it is not so bad.

I and many others are very happy that they work there and i hope that they stay forever.

Better get used to it.

I personally have no desire to discuss/reveal my immigration and family matters with a foreign volunteer.

It would be ok if there were Thai Immigration officials to triage customers and control queuing.

Yes, Thai law dictates that I have to deal with Thai Immigration officers to extend my stay here, etc and I am more than happy to do this.

But why should an unpaid foreign volunteer be privy to my most personal of information including, home address, my income, tax paid, children's ages, date of my marriage, etc?

No issues with there being volunteers to help those (mostly tourists) that need help.

don't be so bitter old man, move if you don't like it!

please could you post the standard documents required for a marriage extension , every year it seems different ...this year I had to sign a document giving them the right to check if I had a criminal record .. it changes every year!

I am sure this information must exist somewhere on the immigration web site, but to be honest that site is not working very well right now - surprise surprise.

Hmmm - standard documents ?? In my 14 years of applying for the marriage visa it's all down to the interpretation (and mood) of the processing officer. But I have never been ask (yet) to sign that document giving them the right to check for a criminal record. And I made my last extension just 6 weeks ago.

please could you post the standard documents required for a marriage extension , every year it seems different ...this year I had to sign a document giving them the right to check if I had a criminal record .. it changes every year!

I am sure this information must exist somewhere on the immigration web site, but to be honest that site is not working very well right now - surprise surprise.

Hmmm - standard documents ?? In my 14 years of applying for the marriage visa it's all down to the interpretation (and mood) of the processing officer. But I have never been ask (yet) to sign that document giving them the right to check for a criminal record. And I made my last extension just 6 weeks ago.

Same for me, i never had this request.

IMO would be also pointless as this means that they have to request the Embassy for a criminal record.

And to check for a Thai criminal record, the don't need your permission as a look in their computer all it takes to check this.

don't be so bitter old man, move if you don't like it!

I remember now why I rarely post on the Phuket Forum (or even bother to read it for that matter).

I am not bitter and I have no intention of moving.

However I am entitled to my opinion, it's your problem if you dont like it.

I don't understand why people have this problem. I always dress smart ( I.E shirt and tie NOT a Chang wife beater vest and shorts)and i'm always treated with respect, even if my documents are not in order, they do heir best to help me. Never had a problem in 4 years of living here now

Have to say that my annual extension last month was the smoothest ever due to the ticketing system. For sure the volunteers need to have a rumage through your paperwork, but only to make sure you have all the paperwork and copies to prevent gumming up the works when you reach the officer. I for one was quite happy with the new system, not that it was any quicker, just saves the jostling to get the next vacant seat in front of the officer.

What I said 18th December:

My 90 day report: I arrived at 2:15 this afternoon, and was out before 2:20.

Excellent system. If only they had a bigger car park, I wouldn't have to park outside in the street.

How can it have gone so bad so quickly? rolleyes.gif

Just submitted my first 1 year extension, am on a non o, extension application is on basis of marriage and was submitted at Nakhon Sri thammarat.

They gave my wife a list of docs in Thai, we had prepared all but one of them which was a police check, I didn't have one (never seen it mentioned anywhere) and I was also given a document handing them the right to check my criminal record, I understood it to refer to Thai police records. Perhaps, if following the rule of law, they can't just log in and check it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

My four years experience of Immigration in Phuket is that it was the slickest and easiest of any I had ever known, all of that may have changed but I typically was in and out in less than one hour and never any trips back to get other documents were needed. The exception of course is that you've always forgotten to make sufficient photocopies of something or other but that's a feature of Immigration offices everywhere in Thailand.

Isn't that the OP 's point, though? It was fine, now you have sometimes snotty, oft ill- informed civillians with acess to your personal information , and are subject to more lines and waiting.

I have in the past often gotten a Residency Certificate with no proof of address whatsoever. I would wonder , in fact how on earth they knew where anyone really lives, ( as if they really file any info away)- same with 90 day report . No wonder criminals love it here.

Has it changed? Well I suppose it is a good thing, though still not sure how I'm supposed to provide a Thai ID with an address to get a RC , when I ned a RC to get a Thai ID with an address on it ...

And btw the RC are free FREE !!!!! and you should not pay, just insist upon a receipt, don't be afraid of them. I have never, ever paid and I'm still alive and still getting what I need.

They really depend on this fear factor and I think the " Young Thai Wives Tales " are a big part of it.

I always go alone and that way they don't have the usual route of a Thai to convey their BS like charging for a RC.

It's also useful to not speak Thai, this too is how they relay their " fonzi factor " fear mongering. When you behave as if you never heard of their weas-ily ways, and expect nothing but professionalism, they can't weasle you .

Besides, they work in Immigration and their English should be fluent. No excuses !!

The OP is about the new ticketing that seemed to add time to the wait , and having your personal information be viewed by civillian volunteers- No one is saying the volunteers should not be there to assist.

And nowhere has the OP indicated this is the worst thing experienced in Thailand or that he / she hasn't a live [sic] otherwise.

I agree, if these civillian police volunteers can be dealing drugs ( allegedly ) on the side, then offering up your personal info certainly is within the realm of possibilites and I strongly and particularly object to a Thai college college student having this access.

Man get a live or a beer, if the immigration experience is the worst thing you encounter in Thailand then it is not so bad.

I and many others are very happy that they work there and i hope that they stay forever.

Better get used to it.

My four years experience of Immigration in Phuket is that it was the slickest and easiest of any I had ever known, all of that may have changed but I typically was in and out in less than one hour and never any trips back to get other documents were needed. The exception of course is that you've always forgotten to make sufficient photocopies of something or other but that's a feature of Immigration offices everywhere in Thailand.

Isn't that the OP 's point, though? It was fine, now you have sometimes snotty, oft ill- informed civillians with acess to your personal information , and are subject to more lines and waiting.

I have in the past often gotten a Residency Certificate with no proof of address whatsoever. I would wonder , in fact how on earth they knew where anyone really lives, ( as if they really file any info away)- same with 90 day report . No wonder criminals love it here.

Has it changed? Well I suppose it is a good thing, though still not sure how I'm supposed to provide a Thai ID with an address to get a RC , when I ned a RC to get a Thai ID with an address on it ...

And btw the RC are free FREE !!!!! and you should not pay, just insist upon a receipt, don't be afraid of them. I have never, ever paid and I'm still alive and still getting what I need.

They really depend on this fear factor and I think the " Young Thai Wives Tales " are a big part of it.

I always go alone and that way they don't have the usual route of a Thai to convey their BS like charging for a RC.

It's also useful to not speak Thai, this too is how they relay their " fonzi factor " fear mongering. When you behave as if you never heard of their weas-ily ways, and expect nothing but professionalism, they can't weasle you .

Besides, they work in Immigration and their English should be fluent. No excuses !!

Everybody has luckily the right to have their own opinion but there is not need to insult people here on the forum.

The volunteers are there for a reason and it is setup by the Thai government and not by the volunteers them self and if we like it or not we have to respect that.

It was mentioned already a few times that a DL is only one way of confirming your address so nothing special here if you don't have a DL.

We all know that the RC should be for free as it is brought up every few days in this forum but it is part of life (like so many other things in Thailand which we maybe not agree too) and we all have the choice to accept it or not, up to you.

This topic is becoming more and more a pissing contest to people who are just doing there job as mandated by the Thai government and can't defend them self, lets keep keep it civilized and stick to the facts.

biggrin.pngfacepalm.gif

Did you ever stop to consider that it is your attitude that might be the problem??

Did you ever stop to consider that it is your attitude that might be the problem??

Did you ever stop to consider that it is the attitude of these egotistical, uniformed, uninformed, and untrained psuedo

immigration helpers that IS the problem???? facepalm.gif

you see right there - thats your problem. Just the manner in which you describe them.

They are people trying to help - and they have helped many people. They give up their time to help people. I think its a lot better than wining, winging and moaning on a forum about having to spend a little extra time at immigration because someone checked your documents and did their job that they have been instructed to do.

You would be better served finding a real issue to moan about.

Did you ever stop to consider that it is the attitude of these egotistical, uniformed, uninformed, and untrained psuedo

you see right there - thats your problem. Just the manner in which you describe them.

They are people trying to help - and they have helped many people. They give up their time to help people. I think its a lot better than wining, winging and moaning on a forum about having to spend a little extra time at immigration because someone checked your documents and did their job that they have been instructed to do.

I described them in the manner that their behavior portrayed them.

They may well be TRYING to help but they are failing miserably, did you read my op??

He took my papers mixed them up then asked me for a form that he already had in his hands

which he could not see because HE screwed up. How is that helping me or anyone?

I did not mention this before but while I was waiting, seats all taken, I was standing beside the

large African American lady I spoke of before and she was approached by a Thai girl/lady who

was trying to do a 90 day report for, I can only assume, her boyfriend/husband or even a farang

friend and when she asked the AA lady for a number was asked for her documents and produced

the passport and completed 90 day report form upon which the AA lady told her you need copies

of passport, this page, that page to which the Thai girl replied I have not needed that before. She

was then verbally pounced on by the AA lady and told very agressively that she was wrong and

that what she said was absolute fact and that it had been fact for at least the last three years she

had been attending the immigration office.

Now at that stage I had to bite my tongue because she was talking pure BS because for my last

two 90 day reports I have never produced anything but the 90 day form and my passport so

perhaps this may give you a small idea of where my percieved ( on you and others parts ) attitude

stems from. w00t.gif

BTY I do not consider 4 hrs unnecessarily wasted in an immigration office as apposed to the normal

40 minutes it previously took me a " little extra time at immigration "

Edited by phuketjock

The African-American lady is a complete cow.

I have never heard her talking to anyone without her either talking down to them, or, sighing and tutting and making them out to be fools.

I listened to her through three separate visits to immigration, as I treated her as my entertainment to overcome boredom.

The old Swedish guy on the other hand was exceedingly pleasant to everyone he spoke to.

They may well be TRYING to help but they are failing miserably, did you read my op??

He took my papers mixed them up then asked me for a form that he already had in his hands

I did not mention this before but while I was waiting, seats all taken, I was standing beside the

large African American lady I spoke of before and she was approached by a Thai girl/lady who

was trying to do a 90 day report for, I can only assume, her boyfriend/husband or even a farang

friend and when she asked the AA lady for a number was asked for her documents and produced

the passport and completed 90 day report form upon which the AA lady told her you need copies

of passport, this page, that page to which the Thai girl replied I have not needed that before. She

was then verbally pounced on by the AA lady and told very agressively that she was wrong and

that what she said was absolute fact and that it had been fact for at least the last three years she

Now at that stage I had to bite my tongue because she was talking pure BS because for my last

two 90 day reports I have never produced anything but the 90 day form and my passport so

perhaps this may give you a small idea of where my percieved ( on you and others parts ) attitude

stems from. w00t.gif

BTY I do not consider 4 hrs unnecessarily wasted in an immigration office as apposed to the normal

Maybe you are not aware but the copies where always a requirement for the 90 day reporting.

The only difference is that until a few months ago they did not care about this and "normally" no copies where required.

It depended on the officer mood and which officer you used for your reporting.

But from the day they start using the ticket system the copies are required all the time.

Better get used to it as you and me are now also required to make the copies.

Before i also never made the copies and now i have to it.

Have a nice day.

There was a college student handling it when I went, who was insufferably full of herself. I got in an argument with the foreign man as I'd never ever once before had to produce any kind of local ID with an address to get a resident's certificate- until that visit- he pooh poohed this as impossible. Then I got dirty looks from both of them for insisting to the desk officer the RC was free, and I'll take a receipt then if it is not- oh it is free then. Jeez so Monkey-Mouse, turd- world...I'm embarrassed for them.

I swear I'm going to record my next visa extension attempt for you tube. We all should.

The girls are gone and a form of address confirmation for your certificate of residence was always required.

Otherwise how could you prove to the officer that the address on the application form is correct.

Logic doesn't make any sense to the op...he's busy engaging in the sport of Thai bashing.

There was a college student handling it when I went, who was insufferably full of herself. I got in an argument with the foreign man as I'd never ever once before had to produce any kind of local ID with an address to get a resident's certificate- until that visit- he pooh poohed this as impossible. Then I got dirty looks from both of them for insisting to the desk officer the RC was free, and I'll take a receipt then if it is not- oh it is free then. Jeez so Monkey-Mouse, turd- world...I'm embarrassed for them.

I swear I'm going to record my next visa extension attempt for you tube. We all should.

The girls are gone and a form of address confirmation for your certificate of residence was always required.

Otherwise how could you prove to the officer that the address on the application form is correct.

Logic doesn't make any sense to the op...he's busy engaging in the sport of Thai bashing.

Except that the volunteers he's "bashing" aren't Thais..........

Except that the volunteers he's "bashing" aren't Thais..........

Their part of "the system." :)

Everybody has luckily the right to have their own opinion but there is not need to insult people here on the forum.

The volunteers are there for a reason and it is setup by the Thai government and not by the volunteers them self and if we like it or not we have to respect that.

It was mentioned already a few times that a DL is only one way of confirming your address so nothing special here if you don't have a DL.

We all know that the RC should be for free as it is brought up every few days in this forum but it is part of life (like so many other things in Thailand which we maybe not agree too) and we all have the choice to accept it or not, up to you.

This topic is becoming more and more a pissing contest to people who are just doing there job as mandated by the Thai government and can't defend them self, lets keep keep it civilized and stick to the facts.

When professional Thai Police officers try to weasel a few hundred baht for a CR that should be free, seems to me weasel-ity is an apt term. I don't accept it , and I don't pay - that's the fact.

And I think the point these civillians have access to personal data is valid, and the Thai college brat is beyond any kind of professionalism. Can we not have bimbotic eye candy as the most important detail on every single aspect of life in Thailand? Please? You've got Bangla.

And I'd say at least one volunteer is here defending themself in the same bombastic manner one can expect from a fake- wanna be pig type, which some fake wanne-be pigs certainly are !! ( but not all, of course)

Now this below is a real insult !! Cow !!

The African-American lady is a complete cow.

I have never heard her talking to anyone without her either talking down to them, or, sighing and tutting and making them out to be fools.

I listened to her through three separate visits to immigration, as I treated her as my entertainment to overcome boredom.

The old Swedish guy on the other hand was exceedingly pleasant to everyone he spoke to.

Edited by EBlair48

I didn't post the opening topic, perhaps you need to read it? I simply agree with it and the point about personal data.

And several times, in the past I obtained a CR with absolutely no proof of residence other than my visa. I also have made 90 day reports with again- no proof of address.

If this had changed- I reiterate I think it is good, because it sure was Monkey-Mouse before and no wonder crooks flock here.

(Some even get volunteer jobs with the police, or so I've read on this forum. )

Edited by EBlair48

stems from. w00t.gif

Maybe you are not aware but the copies where always a requirement for the 90 day reporting.

The only difference is that until a few months ago they did not care about this and "normally" no copies where required.

It depended on the officer mood and which officer you used for your reporting.

But from the day they start using the ticket system the copies are required all the time.

Better get used to it as you and me are now also required to make the copies.

Before i also never made the copies and now i have to it.

Have a nice day.

Glad to see you agree with me on the fact that the AA lady was Bshitting when she told the

Thai girl that her word had been law for the last three years. I didn't get off the plane yesterday

merijn and I am very aware that when dealing with any Thai police, immigration, government

officers it very much depends on the day on the particular officers interpretation of the rules.

The fun is in the challenge to get them to see the rules as they were meant to be seen or if you

can, and this takes great skill, persuade them to see the rules as you would like them to see them.

Of course the odd coloured piece of government endorsed paper can greatly assist you in this

endeavour.

You have a nice day too merijn. thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Edited by phuketjock