Good thai schools, are there any and where

seajae

My step daughter is just finishing Pratom 6 in a village school on Phuket Island and her grades have been very good, has been one of the top two in her class for 4 years running. This particular school offers schooling only up to Matayom 3, so she will have to change school either now or after Matayom 3, so she can eventually proceed to attend university. With 2 other students she was invited to write entrance exams for the prestigious Chalermprakiat School in Phuket town. Only one of the 3 was accepted, not her. I believe it is the duty for a school to accept students from the "local catchment area", which is Thalang Distrist High School. Is it advisable for her to change schools now or on completion of Matayom 3? Should I investigate whether Chalermprakiat would accept her if I make a "contribution"?

a student i teach privately goes to a school near siam square, i dont know the name, it has the reputation for being the best in thailand. she is certainly very smart, conciousness, polite and last year won a scholarship to study for 9 months in a school in the US.

There's no point studying in an International school here if she wants to be a doctor in Thailand.

------------

If she wants to study medicine back in the West, then she will definitely need to be in a good international school.

Note that she may study back in the west and then return to practice in Thailand.

Many very successful doctors here have done just that.

Note also it's entirely possible to attend an International School and also keep your Thai up to speed well enough to attend tertiary here, especially in a field where so much of the source material will be in English anyway.

Note to practice medicine in Thailand, the Medical Board exam will need to be passed - and that is in Thai language. So the said student will need to be conversant with Thai in the medical field.

If I can give my $.02 here, I have three kids, One is now a freshman at Burapha University and the other two just finishing M4 and M5.

My oldest son was born in Hong Kong but the other two were born here in Thailand. Living where I do, an hours drive from the nearest international school if the traffic conditions are ideal, I chose to send them to regular Thai schools.

When they were Younger and studying for Pratom I kept them out of school every other year and homeschooled them. Actually, I hired a really good Filipina to do the homeschooling. I chose a secondary school that did not require the students to have extra afterschool classes to get good grades. That was not easy to find. Then I made sure that my students did a lot of extra studying especially reading books.

None of my children seem interested in the highly competitive and academic fields like medicine. My middle child has the best GPA with about 3.5. The other two are about 3.0.

Entrance into university seems to be quite interesting and different here. GPA is obviously important but A private interview is also very influential. As our extracurricular activities like being on the basketball team, Especially if he managed to be on the all Province Team or something like that. My oldest son managed to get a slot in a competitive college and even was able to pay the state sponsored tuition--it's ridiculous how inexpensive his university fees are.

I'm not sure if any of this helps. I can say that I personally went to one of the worst high schools in America with a 60% dropout rate and I have a Masters degree after all that. I think people stress out a little bit too much about Schools for 10-year-old kids. If you stress the importance of education and say agree then you won't have any problems in the long-term. At least that's my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

how old is she? why not go back to Australia?

She is 14, wife cant leave due to her position in her company and to be honest I dont really want to live back in oz full time. Have looked at having her live with friends /family there but she doesnt want to go by herself which is understandable. We have family in Bangkok if she wants to go there but were hoping to find a school locally, probably a long shot but we were hopeful. Until you really start looking you dont realize how bad it is. There is a new international school being built just around the corner from us but until it is up and running we wont know what it is like.

Doubt you are going to find a good School in Surat area. Unless you have loads of cash getting through to a doctors standard is going to cost a fortune and would only be worth something with in Thailand. If your not in BKK prity much zero chance of a decent education and a degree worth anything anywhere.