Blind Friend Needs A Guide

Lumbini

I have a good friend in Jomtien I use to help when I lived in Pattaya who is blind and now I am traveling around Thailand and can not help like before .

He is from the US and needs a little help at times when he wants to go on healthy beach walks or to the market and lives just steps from beach but crossing streets by himself and other things have become real safety concerns and in the way of letting him enjoy doing things he loves safely . Even blind he manages ok with no help and his white stick ( using crosswalks with beeps for blind ) but with sidewalks not so maintained with holes , food carts , things hanging in the way like power lines and much more it turns what could be powerful opportunity into irritating frustration on many of his outings alone .

Looking to see if there is a ( quality woman- not a taker- just a simple honest- single- non drink- smoke- etc , not a retired bar worker - some one who would be able to help him cross streets- identify different foods etc. and help him get exercise and shop safety / and not attempt to turn the job into a way to get boyfriend / look at this as a real job they would be paid for with no tricks or sexual interest )

He lost his sight a few years ago from a disease and has major challenges but you would never know it after meeting him . When I met him I was in awe of his inner strength and positive attitude . I would assist him on long walks and it helped me get back exercising and at times I would also go with him to market to help him buy fruits and things and help him get back home with what he needed .

I miss being able to assist him now I have moved and quickly realized I was getting more help than him in many ways possibly reframing my own luxury problems as I would walk with him . I would call out obstacles as we walked for miles at times on sidewalks all over Pattaya & Jomtien and help him get on bhat busses and at the market .

We became good friends and I always wanted to help him hire someone who could do what I was doing but never did because I got so much out of it and made it part of my daily exercise routine going to where he was and walking with him as guide and friend . Now that I am not living in Pattaya he is in need of some help and if it was the right person I assume would have no problems paying . It may be a great gig / paying job for some lady and be like a way of getting paid to exercise and at same time really get empowered by his attitude and display of effort like I did .

I was not paid to help him and like I said got so much out of it but now I think the exercise he got was powerful medicine in many ways and if he found right person to help him it would be well worth it to pay them a fair price for their time each day or part time . My real concern is his safety as much as him getting exercise . Also helping him buy healthy foods possibly even helping prepare them or at least assist in getting healthy groceries back to his condo so he not have to ride on back of motorcycles taxis with multiple bags at times getting wrong change from dishonest drivers . So many times I told myself I needed to help locate someone who could help because if he looks it's a real possibility someone may take advantage of him and use his handicap to hurt him or take $ . For long time I was just lazy not making the effort to recruit help for him but today starting to turn my thoughts into action .

Thanks for your patience reading this and letting me share my concerns and if anyone has any ideas or suggestions or even any advice on what to be carful of looking for help for him I would greatly appreciate it. In big picture it could really bring tremendous help to this amazing man I got so much real awareness from thanks and actually be a win win situation for both .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Your friend was lucky to have you around. He needs to hire somebody to take care of him now. Obviously, living on his own is becoming more difficult.

I'm taking care of my 94 year old mother. So I know a bit about this. Wherever you live, there are people who will take advantage of a situation like this. Very sad.

Options exist, but they cost money. Is this a problem for him?

Money a real concern for all of us but if there is real value in a situation one has a way of finding what they need many times. I do not know specifics about his finances and think the real issue is just finding the right candidate who will get paid but also see opportunity for them because if motivation is wrong no amount will work . A person can get just about anything they want with enough money but often not what they need in fact too much money may often get in the way attracting others with wrong motivation . I just posted this as a first step and really wanted to look for a way to find someone as motivated to help him as they were about the money , kind of a balance . Most have real cash challenges and I am sure with his medical issues and concerns about the cost of things he is no exception but if there is someone who want to possibly walk and get exercise on the beach daily and also get paid a fair price it may be a good situation for both I don't know ? Thanks for your reply and it's really impressive that you help your mom the way you do while so many not even live in same country as a parent in need . Do not mean to sidestep your question but do not know my friends exact situation but know he is not wealthy yet has enough money to live here and have food and a nice place to live just looking to make effort as I thought about looking for someone for long time and never made the effort until today with this post . Perhaps if someone could suggest and hourly amount that would be fair to have someone walk with him that would be another good step ... Again thanks .

What we think we become ...

Your main problem will be finding a helper/assistant who will not rob him blind so to speak. Is it more of a full time or part time situation? If someone is doing it for wages they will want some kind of regularity to it.

Just be very careful with anyone you allow into his life as obviously someone with such a disability us uniquely vulnerable in some ways.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

OMG , thanks for the heads up , not sure if it would be part time or full time probably just a few hours a day but if it becomes too challenging will let it go but wanted to investigate possibilities and get out of just thinking about it and make some effort . Thanks again

Edited by Lumbini

Can you ask your friend what would he like (full or part time) and what he can afford?

Are there any organizations with volunteers to help the elderly? If so, maybe they could

provide assistance, although it probably wouldn't be always the same person. Your

friend could then make a donation to that organization if he felt so inclined and could

afford it.

I will ask him about the full time or part time and I just wrote lady because when he asked me if I knew anyone that was what was in his email . Don't think he is actively looking for someone just asked me if I knew anyone and I took it upon myself to compose post about asking this group . We see so many Thai people that need to make money but at times I have noticed when one looks for someone to fill a job things get very clear that many want shortcuts and actively look to take advantage of others in the Pattaya area and when you have real work to be done and look for those who would just be grateful to make a little money honestly it can be challenging and bring one many problems . This is why he not look himself and just emailed me as I had really enjoyed walking with him when I lived in that area and he thought I may have friends who were looking to do long walks for exercise and even get paid turning it into a job . Imagine if you were in his situation and you attempted to find someone probably not to safe so I took it upon myself to see if someone has anyone they knew that may be a good candidate . Thanks for all the replies and I will email and or call him and see what's up and how much he wants to pursue this . But felt if I called with someone in mind he may be more responsive . Thanks again for all of the replies and keeping thread mindful and kind .