Phuket booze ban keeps Cupid's arrows flying straight

Lite Beer

Phuket booze ban keeps Cupid's arrows flying straight
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_2014213132241304_gzqdOsiRhVMG
Alcohol sales are on hold from sunrise on February 14 to sunrise on February 15. Photo: Dave

PHUKET: A nationwide ban on the sale and purchase of alcohol will be in effect this Valentine’s Day in celebration of Makha Bucha Day, one of the four annual religious holidays in Thailand.

“By law, alcohol sales and purchases are banned throughout the country in order to respect the holy day,” Deputy Commander of Phuket Provincial Police Peerayuth Karajedee told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

“Night entertainment business operators across the island have been notified of the ban, which goes into effect at sunrise on Friday and concludes at sunrise on Saturday,” Col Peerayuth explained.

Alcohol may be purchased on Valentine’s Eve, but not on the day itself.

The punishment for breaking the law is a prison sentence of up to six months, a 10,000-baht fine or both.

Col Peerayuth noted that no extra officers have been assigned to enforce the ban.

“Extra officers are unnecessary because we believe that Thai people, alcohol retailers and night entertainment operators know that the sale and purchase of alcohol is prohibited on this special day,” he said.

“There are so many other days in the year to sell and purchase alcohol. Let’s take a break and make merit.”

Makha Bucha Day (story here) marks the significant day nine months after the Buddha’s enlightenment when 1,250 disciples arrived, unplanned, to meet him. The Buddha ordained them and taught them the main precepts of Buddhism: to abstain from evil, to do good and to purify the mind.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2014/Phuket-booze-ban-keeps-Cupid-s-arrows-flying-straight-24582.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-02-13

Col Peerayuth noted that no extra officers have been assigned to enforce the ban.

“Extra officers are unnecessary because we believe that Thai people, alcohol retailers and night entertainment operators know that the sale and purchase of alcohol is prohibited on this special day,” he said.

He must be joking...........isn't he?

"The punishment for breaking the law is a prison sentence of up to six months, a 10,000-baht fine or both."

I missed that part when Buddha told: "Who don't follow my teachings shall be punished".

Punish people in name of Buddha is very hypocrite.

• Like 1

So when a Catholic Priest consecrates wine into the Eucharist does he get fined?

He or she is not selling alcohol so probably not. They should however sue the person practising witchcraft together with charges of cannibalism.

With any more of these No Alcohol Days. This Country would be an ideal place for someone with a drink problem. Seriously though how would you feel if you were a bar owner with high rents to pay with all these recent No Alcohol Days.

With any more of these No Alcohol Days. This Country would be an ideal place for someone with a drink problem. Seriously though how would you feel if you were a bar owner with high rents to pay with all these recent No Alcohol Days.

If you own a bar in Thailand it would be sensible to have been aware of the law before buying it!

A thinking bar owner would have considered this before he bought the bar. None of these days comes as a surprise.

• Like 2

A thinking bar owner would have considered this before he bought the bar. None of these days comes as a surprise.

Yes, but how does one factor in protests, travel warnings and airport closures? laugh.png

• Like 1

If you own a bar in Thailand it would be sensible to have been aware of the law before buying it!

Hasn't there been a few No Alcohol Days recently that weren't Public Holidays. How Do You Plan For This??????? If you have a struggling business and have this added pressure it cant be good. From what I hear running a bar in Thailand isn't all plain sailing.

Correct they are published years in advance.......

Yes, but how does one factor in protests, travel warnings and airport closures? laugh.png

Inherent to living in Thailand. Every year there has been something. I can't say I like it, but that's just the way it is.

Hasn't there been a few No Alcohol Days recently that weren't Public Holidays. How Do You Plan For This??????? If you have a struggling business and have this added pressure it cant be good. From what I hear running a bar in Thailand isn't all plain sailing.

Maybe you mean elections? These can't come as a surprise as well. Anybody wanting to make a living here involving alcohol should know these things /days/events happen here. Really no surprises. If you're already struggling, don't blame the alcohol free days, blame yourself.

Inherent to living in Thailand. Every year there has been something. I can't say I like it, but that's just the way it is.

I would suggest more inherent to living on Phuket, than Thailand.

So, one must have an external income, or savings, at call, to enable themselves to remain, and earn an income here, as meagre as that income may be.

Sounds like a solid business plan. laugh.png

Edited by NamKangMan

I would suggest more inherent to living on Phuket, than Thailand.

So, one must have an external income, or savings, at call, to enable themselves to remain, and earn an income here, as meagre as that income may be.

Sounds like a solid business plan. laugh.png

No, Thailand. Unless you think birdflue, SARS, protests etc are typical Phuket events.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

You think I would own a bar in Thailand you got to be joking

No idea, but you asked 'Seriously though how would you feel if you were a bar owner with high rents to pay with all these recent No Alcohol Days'.

You think I would own a bar in Thailand you got to be joking

No idea, but you asked 'Seriously though how would you feel if you were a bar owner with high rents to pay with all these recent No Alcohol Days'.

I would think they are going to feel a lot more p!ssed off, as they are talking about another 4 Saturday night bans within a very short period....

Who thinks up these stupid restrictions. So cannot take a bird out for dinner and a bottle on V day...........Bet the law makers do.............rolleyes.gif

Anyone who can't plan around a single day with no alcohol sales probably shouldn't procreate. Or even practice procreating.

Edited by impulse

@ stevenl

My point is, Phuket in particular, relies heavily on the tourism industry, more so than, say, Udon Thani.

So, if protests, for example, stop tourists from coming to Thailand, it will be felt more on Phuket, as compared to other places in Thailand, and that can be seen through higher vacancy rates and empty bars on the island.

In my opinion, the larger tourist spots in Thailand should be deemed "Special Economic Zones" and thus, exempted from these ridiculous alcohol bans.