Restaurants adding the 7% VAT to the menu price listed

vagabond48

I don't tip if there is a service charge, but VAT tax has nothing to do with the staff.

Sure, and I realize that. But if a restaurant wants to be silly then I can be silly too.

Although I'm not sure that point even gets across, as tipping isn't universal/mandatory in Thailand anyway.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I don't mind having the 7%vat added on later as long as its stated on the menu . The Dukes does this and are up front about it . I don't mind paying it . But any place that adds a service charge I wont go there . Sorry I don't agree with it . If I get good service I tip good if I get bad service I leave a smaller tip . But I always leave something in places I eat that I feel its appropriate to tip . Yesterday a group of 8 of us ate a very well known restaurant near the river . I would have expected great service I have always got it at there other locations . Well the food was excellent as always but the service was horrible , no one seemed to have a clue as to what they were doing , food was wrong , ordered coffee three times and ended up getting expresso sent that back .

We had all asked for separate checks we got our bills and it was a nightmare . Wrong orders on the wrong checks . Just plain incompetence by the staff looked like 10 people running around not having a clue what was going on .... But the food was good and the view was good so I guess all was well !!!