Clarification: Retirement visa expiry/renewal date

My current "retirement" visa allows for stay until 18 Feb 2014 (Tuesday). Must I get to the immigration by the 18th or can I go in on the 19th?

Unfortunately, the earliest I can get to the Jomtien immigration office is mid-afternoon on the 18th. I need to get an income verification statement from the US Embassy and my appt. (In BKK) is on the morning of the 18th (the 17th is a US holiday).

Ideally I'd like to go to immigration on the morning of the 19th, but will that be too late???

In case you were wondering, I didn't handle this earlier since I was traveling for four months and only returned two weeks ago and then went on a last minute trip to Indonesia (and am currently stuck due to yesterday's volanic event).

Thanks in advance for your input. Cheers!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you g0 on the 19th you will have overstayed 1 day and it "could" cost you 500 baht and you will get a smal stamp in your passport. It will not affect your extension or any future dealings with Thai immigration.

Interesting. I had previously been under the impression that, even if you were a single day late in applying for a new extension of stay, you would have to start all over again with a fresh non-O visa obtained in an adjoining country.

So up to how late can you, in general, be before Immigration insist on a new non-O visa?

My current "retirement" visa allows for stay until 18 Feb 2014 (Tuesday).

I'm sure he doesn't mean it's a "visa" but that he actually means his "extension of stay" expires on the 18th, but if it was a Non-Imm O or O-A visa and his permission to stay ended on the 18th, would he then be back to square one if he went in on the 19th or would he still be allowed to apply for an extension of stay after clearing the overstay?

Edited by Suradit69

I'm sure he doesn't mean it's a "visa" but that he actually means his "extension of stay" expires on the 18th, but if it was a Non-Imm O or O-A visa and his permission to stay ended on the 18th, would he then be back to square one if he went in on the 19th or would he still be allowed to apply for an extension of stay after clearing the overstay?

An interesting question to which I do not have an answer.

The loose use of terminology really does lead to confusion.

If it was a visa entry they would probably still do it with only one day of overstay.

I just was at the immigration office in Khon Kaeng, for a new 1 year extenstion. Normaly you are done here within a half hour, but because of the holliday last

friday it was bussy.

In front of me was a guy that was in overstay for 3 days on a non o. He hadto pay his overstay, pay for a new non o visa and pay for the year extenstion.

He was not a happy camper.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks to all for your input/replies. I guess what I was going for was a one year extension of stay (I'm not totally clear as to the proper terminology), which most people simply refer to as a retirement visa renewal.

In order to play it safe, after obtaining my income verification statement from the US Embassy, I came back down to Jomtien and went straight to the immigration office. Due to traffic/construction (and a BKK lunch break), I didn't arrive there until 4pm! Fortunately, I was able to get my application in and there appears to be no problem. I have to go back tomorrow after 3pm in order to collect my passport.

Thanks again for your input. Cheers!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 1 month later...

Hi

Can anyone help me on a similar situation? 'cept I want to renew as early as possibile.

I have the retirement visa.

Started off as a non imm O issued 21st may 2012 london- enter before 20th may 2013. Not a stamp but a piece of paper stuck in the passport.

when I went to renew I was told that I had to do no earlier than 30 days before expiry.

Can't remember how it worked( because I came twice in 2013 cos the first time I was too early) but on the 28th April 2013 I get a stamp "admitted till 26 july"

I needed to present the retirement documents asap as I was leaving and would have been out of the country untill the following year, so I went to the imm office on the 7th may and the officer wasn't happy about taking the documents as she said it was too early but she did. So I have a big blue stamp with the date I went -7th may 2013,and extension of stay till 26 july 2014. and I went to get the multiple re-entry permit. another stamp that has again the valid date till 26 july 2014.

Forgive me but do I have to go anytime with 30 days before the 26 july? Or 30 days before the 7th may, (think this was my mistake in 2013) or on or around the date of 7th may.

I apologise but I still haven't grasped the visa/imm o/imm a/extension of stay etc etc etc.

Replies in baby language please.

Thanks