Foreign media strive to avoid simplistic portrayal of Thai woes

webfact

Nophakhun Limsamarnphun
The Nation

30226867-01_big.gif
From left: Larry Jagan and Marwaan Macan-Markar.

Try to explain more complex political process, poll disruption

How do the representatives of foreign media view Thailand's political crisis after the incomplete February 2 general election?

Larry Jagan, a Bangkok-based freelance correspondent, said: "One of the things foreign and Western journalists are concerned about is to try to understand the dynamics of Thai politics, but in many ways when we talk to a foreign audience it's very easy to paint the picture in black and white, the good guys and the bad guys.

"Reporting in our own country for our audience, of course, they understand the complexity of society and issues, but in a country like Thailand the political process is more complex than the more homogenous Western societies. So it's much more difficult for the foreign audience to understand.

"We have to simplify, and one easy way is to find the black and white. There is also a real risk of oversimplification. We also want to make authorities accountable and transparent, so there is a natural tendency for Western journalists to be sympathetic with the opposition in Parliament or on the street.

"We have also seen the government and the protest movement battling each other for democracy, as both claim to be democratic. In a democracy, elections are very important, but there are also issues of rights and protection of minorities and others, but they have been forgotten in this process.

"It's a mistake for the Suthep [Thaugsuban] movement to say, 'If an election is held, we will lose it and therefore we have to oppose it.' The Democrats have the right to boycott the election if they think it will be fraudulent, but trying to prevent people from voting or prevent the distribution of ballots or block the polling stations, that was a mistake.

"That's easily seen as undemocratic, as it does not allow the other side their rights."

Marwaan Macan-Markar, former president of the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand, said: "Western media organisations generally have their own audiences in mind and they share what I call international values, which can't negotiate about elections.

"When Khun Suthep began the protest movement following the outrageous way of the government pushing through the amnesty bill, he tapped anger on the street, not only targeted at government abuse but also mushroomed into anti-corruption.

"November was a wonderful month for democracy because you had a government that was painted in a dark light, and it's natural for people to get on the street. That moment was easy to tell from the perspective of international media values.

"Government abuse, public anger, the black and white, perfect the legitimate rage, but Khun Suthep later turned that into a crusade to overthrow the government. "This challenged the storyline.

"Khun Suthep should have celebrated on December 9 when Yingluck [shinawatra, the prime minister] dissolved the House, which was almost a retreat."

But over the next 60 days after that, Macan-Markar recalled, "the rice-pledging scheme has become a politically explosive issue against the government. Had the Democrat Party not boycotted the February 2 election, and along [with] the Suthep anti-corruption movement, the party could have made further inroads and won more than the 160 seats it previously had and probably could [have formed] a new coalition government."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-15

• Like 1

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HMMMMMM.... But isn't saying the Dems are the PDRC over-simplifying the issue to the point of distortion?

The democrats and the PDRC are totally different and don't even totally agree on a lot of issues.

I think you need to explain that the Dems never once voiced support for the blocking of the election. They just didn't agree with it.

• Like 2

HMMMMMM.... But isn't saying the Dems are the PDRC over-simplifying the issue to the point of distortion?

The democrats and the PDRC are totally different and don't even totally agree on a lot of issues.

I think you need to explain that the Dems never once voiced support for the blocking of the election. They just didn't agree with it.

the PDRC is mainly the PADocrat faction of the Democrats

• Like 1

Thank you for that very insightful contribution to a debate which was actually proceeding quite well...!!

just to say that most western media that I follow are telling it as it is and making it very clear for people to understand what it's all about and who is on the stages of the protest and who is behind it all.

• Like 1

Not a bad article, but here is the main point:

If you do not agree with Suthep's approach of boycotting the elections and trying to block people from participating, what is YOUR solution?

I don't like it, but I can't come up with a better way. It is easy to CRITICISE others when they do things that seem "wrong" or unethical, but given the situation, what is the option?

For those who say follow the peace process or negotiate, yes, in theory that is right. But theory is academic. We live in the real world.

Give us a workable solution then I think everyone, including ole' Suthep would listen.

Edited by Blackmirage2013
  • Like 1

Thank you for that very insightful contribution to a debate which was actually proceeding quite well...!!

just to say that most western media that I follow are telling it as it is and making it very clear for people to understand what it's all about and who is on the stages of the protest and who is behind it all.

Really? Then please let me know where the substance is in yesterday's WSJ report:

http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-headlines/SS-2-63399/SS-2-455106/

It shows Chalerm as a calm, affable individual with a desire to negotiate....???!!!

There is no mention whatsoever of the fraudulent activities that have actually given rise to the current situation in Thailand, nor is there any mention of the rice fiasco and the disturbance that may potentially occur when the farmers reach Government House on Monday and are asked to accept down-payments on the money that they are due...!

The foreign media outlets are currently making fools of themselves. If they fail to report each and every one of the issues that have given rise to the current crisis, then they are demonstrating selective reporting, which is of no use or interest to anyone...!!

This once again demonstrates the narrow vision of the foreign media. They probably don't even realise how much they distort the actual picture to the rest of the world.

Remember that dumba$$ CNN idiot Dan Rivers? That fool just mailed in his reporting without a single care of the actual issues at hand.

Yes, the word democracy is thrown around conveniently but at least they are trying to dig deeper this time around.

And I for one am glad we kicked that idiot Dan Rivers so far out of this country he's nowhere to be seen

• Like 1

Posted Today, 06:18

Nophakhun Limsamarnphun

The Nation

Well sure - Its simplistic if it does not tow the PDRC, Dems, Yellows, party line as disseminated by their media division AKA:

THE NATION

biggrin.png

• Like 2

Really? Then please let me know where the substance is in yesterday's WSJ report:

It shows Chalerm as a calm, affable individual with a desire to negotiate....???!!!

There is no mention whatsoever of the fraudulent activities that have actually given rise to the current situation in Thailand, nor is there any mention of the rice fiasco and the disturbance that may potentially occur when the farmers reach Government House on Monday and are asked to accept down-payments on the money that they are due...!

The foreign media outlets are currently making fools of themselves. If they fail to report each and every one of the issues that have given rise to the current crisis, then they are demonstrating selective reporting, which is of no use or interest to anyone...!!

no, Chalerm is not portrayed as such, he is not portrayed at all, that's just your perception. "Most western media": European news channels and french, dutch, german papers included.

• Like 2

The fact of the matter is that foreign media correspondents continue to place the focus solely on what they see as the 'undemocratic' issue of the opposition not wanting to partake in elections until reforms had been put in place to ensure that such elections were free and fair. As a result, they have failed to outline the numerous infractions of this government to the outside world.

Many overseas observers are well aware that Thaksin is a convicted person who cannot return to Thailand, but they are fed additional suggestions by the foreign media that the convictions against him "may have been" politically motivated, which is pure nonsense. He was convicted fairly and squarely for fraudulent actions whilst in office.

They also paint a picture of his sister being a good prime minister, which of course, is far from true. I think they should place emphasis on the fact that she has neither the background nor the training for the role, and that in fact, Thailand is currently being run by the convict in exile. Greater emphasis should also be placed on the missing billions during the PTP tenure, focusing particularly on the NACC probe, which is likely to see Yingluck impeached, and probably, imprisoned.

Jonathan Head is an embarrassment to us, as he can see no further then the nose on his face. If the outside world were provided with the full details of the rape and pillage of this country during the PTP tenure, then perhaps there would be less sympathy for Yingluck, a little more sympathy for the impact that it has had on the grass roots people of Thailand, and perhaps a little more than a suggestion for more women in politics from the UN...!!

This once again demonstrates the narrow vision of the foreign media. They probably don't even realise how much they distort the actual picture to the rest of the world.

I agree with you both...... Can't say much more than what you have said...... rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

kilosierra........

no, Chalerm is not portrayed as such, he is not portrayed at all, that's just your perception. "Most western media": European news channels and french, dutch, german papers included.

...or perhaps its your perception that he is not portrayed in a good light, because you don't see the dark side of him...!

The leader of the Democrat party didnt vote and called the election unconstitutional...

How much more support do you expect them to give ??

• Like 1