Foreign media strive to avoid simplistic portrayal of Thai woes

webfact

Would you consider yourself objective or unbias then ? care to explain the "baggage" JH according to you carries in detail ?

Its all very well to say journalism should not be bias but then it would take someone with no clue about a place to be so with a clean slate... then they are told they have no clue so dont know what they are on about, especially here where so much has to be blacked out of discussion. It is impossible to report Thailand freely and properly because the media here including foreign journos are not free to report fully and in detail from in country. If outside there is the old rhetoric of they dont have a clue because they arnt here etc etc..

JH i dont find overly unbais hes one of the best journos here imo and considered so in many circles including by his own peers, Either that means hes pretty good or the rest are pretty poor.

• Like 1

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CNN and BBC News, especially political section, are biased and everything that doesn't fit into their agenda will be ignored or even distorted. They are acting under the same paymaster as Thaksin does. No matter if it is JH or Elvira Knowitall they have to follow a pattern.

Not a bad article, but here is the main point:

If you do not agree with Suthep's approach of boycotting the elections and trying to block people from participating, what is YOUR solution?

I don't like it, but I can't come up with a better way. It is easy to CRITICISE others when they do things that seem "wrong" or unethical, but given the situation, what is the option?

For those who say follow the peace process or negotiate, yes, in theory that is right. But theory is academic. We live in the real world.

Give us a workable solution then I think everyone, including ole' Suthep would listen.

1. New Elections on the 01. July 2014

2. All members of the last Parliament are excluded from the new Elections. ALL !!!!!
No exception.
They can not work together.
They have only caused damages.
3. No convicted criminals on electoral lists and in parliament/government.

4. All the politicians which were already been banned from Parliament, are excluded from Elections.

5. Each party must establish a written election program.
With content and Budget proposals of use.
The public must be able to view the programs.
Edited by tomacht8

I had to laugh at the post that said that Jonathan Head is a well respected journalist. He's a complete <deleted> and a pisshead to boot. The only respect is when he buys a round at the FCCT.

Most foreign media I've looked at don't even scratch the surface of Thai politics & social strata. The journalists usually attempt to fit the local events into their home country's way of life. 'It's the lefties versus the righties' has been the BBC's coverage since 2009.

They also don't understand that an election in Thailand is not just people walking to a voting centre & casting their vote. They don't see the kamnan or local party organiser outside ensuring that 'his' people have voted in the way that they were paid to do. Or that in some areas (e'g' red-shirt villages) people are so intimidated that they are afraid to vote. Or that the huge sums of money spent (illegally) on the election has to be recouped afterwards. Or that the rule of law hardly applies in Thailand. I could go on as there are so many deficiencies with everything from voting to governance here that are not looked at by foreign journalists as they do it differently at home.

Overseas friends constantly ask me 'am I ok?' or 'what's happening in Thailand?'. They haven't a real clue because their local media is fed bullshit from the media reps here.

He's a fellow Old Alleynian but as a journalist I cannot defend him and I won't.

But let's face it, the BBC isn't what it was any more. sad.png

You claim to be a journalist and yet you write a tautological sentence like this:

"But let's face it, the BBC isn't what it was any more."

You: fail.

Jonathan Head: pass.

CNN and BBC News, especially political section, are biased and everything that doesn't fit into their agenda will be ignored or even distorted. They are acting under the same paymaster as Thaksin does. No matter if it is JH or Elvira Knowitall they have to follow a pattern.

Name the paymaster, please.

just to say that most western media that I follow are telling it as it is and making it very clear for people to understand what it's all about and who is on the stages of the protest and who is behind it all.

Really? Then please let me know where the substance is in yesterday's WSJ report:

http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-headlines/SS-2-63399/SS-2-455106/

It shows Chalerm as a calm, affable individual with a desire to negotiate....???!!!

There is no mention whatsoever of the fraudulent activities that have actually given rise to the current situation in Thailand, nor is there any mention of the rice fiasco and the disturbance that may potentially occur when the farmers reach Government House on Monday and are asked to accept down-payments on the money that they are due...!

The foreign media outlets are currently making fools of themselves. If they fail to report each and every one of the issues that have given rise to the current crisis, then they are demonstrating selective reporting, which is of no use or interest to anyone...!!

Sam and Betty Stryvers in Peoria Illinois with their careers, 2.5 kids, two cars, 3 dogs, mortgage, taxes, medical insurance changes etc etc etc don't give a rat's arse about your burning issues back here in Thailand. They elect a government to deal with these things yet you all the same crap on about that when Washington makes its limited public engagements.

Can't you somehow relate that, for certain reasons called professional journalism, the WSJ knows about Sam and Betty and that you don't have a clue? The WSJ and other Western media around the globe have a professional approach to current developments in Thailand. They don't have a personal agenda nor are they grinding any axes.

Among the several criteria professional journalism gives to news is its proximity, its interest, its significance in the daily lives of readers/viewers, and Thailand fails to ring the bell on just these three of the several determining criteria. So what if it rings all of your bells - who are you in Peoria, Illinois? Or in Washington for that matter.

The WSJ story, written by a women of a Thai name, is a report on the police clearing operation. Precious few in the universe outside of Asean care that you have rice on the brain or that your knickers are in a twist about somebody holed up in a Dubai mansion who's trying to prevent you getting hold of his sister.

Because your universe revolves around the former LOS hardly means the other 8 billion people on the planet need to be brought up to speed to your personal insistent demands and self-indulgent satisfaction.

And oh, BTW, I almost missed the article's brief mention of Chalerm - something about his holding a press conference. I still don't know how many cars or dogs he may have. Whatever are you on about?

All those complaining that the foreign press don't report about Thailand as it really is, should probably be happy .

If they did, everyone would know what an utterly corrupt basket case of a country this place can be to live in sometimes.

• Like 1

What a load of <deleted>....

If there is one suicide bomb anywhere in the world there is not one mention of Thailand for a week

No one outside asean cares what happens in thailand on a daily basis. Be happy they don't really dig in and report more.

• Like 2

HMMMMMM.... But isn't saying the Dems are the PDRC over-simplifying the issue to the point of distortion?

The democrats and the PDRC are totally different and don't even totally agree on a lot of issues.

I think you need to explain that the Dems never once voiced support for the blocking of the election. They just didn't agree with it.

the PDRC is mainly the PADocrat faction of the Democrats

It's all the same crowd, to argue otherwise is to argue against reality.

I had to laugh at the post that said that Jonathan Head is a well respected journalist. He's a complete <deleted> and a pisshead to boot. The only respect is when he buys a round at the FCCT.

Most foreign media I've looked at don't even scratch the surface of Thai politics & social strata. The journalists usually attempt to fit the local events into their home country's way of life. 'It's the lefties versus the righties' has been the BBC's coverage since 2009.

They also don't understand that an election in Thailand is not just people walking to a voting centre & casting their vote. They don't see the kamnan or local party organiser outside ensuring that 'his' people have voted in the way that they were paid to do. Or that in some areas (e'g' red-shirt villages) people are so intimidated that they are afraid to vote. Or that the huge sums of money spent (illegally) on the election has to be recouped afterwards. Or that the rule of law hardly applies in Thailand. I could go on as there are so many deficiencies with everything from voting to governance here that are not looked at by foreign journalists as they do it differently at home.

Overseas friends constantly ask me 'am I ok?' or 'what's happening in Thailand?'. They haven't a real clue because their local media is fed bullshit from the media reps here.

And your post isn't one-sided and totally biased? Jonathan Head can defend himself, but I very glad that the BBC and most of the other foreign media are reporting the situation impartially and not taking sides. Do you really believe that the only corruption and vote buying in Thailand is on one side?

If there was vote buying on both sides it would be 98:2 in favour of PTP!!!

And your post isn't one-sided and totally biased? Jonathan Head can defend himself, but I very glad that the BBC and most of the other foreign media are reporting the situation impartially and not taking sides. Do you really believe that the only corruption and vote buying in Thailand is on one side?

Not in the South!

(Edit: Lot's of interesting reading on the subject. Not sure if I can post the link here, but here it is anyway)

http://asiancorrespondent.com/116697/vote-buying-thaksin-and-the-democrats/

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

As soon as a government starts abusing it's powers it loses it's legitimacy and the people have a right to protest against them as long as it is done by peaceful means.

The reason the BBC doesn't report it as it is, is because they don't understand the situation (or in Head's case doesn't want to with his pal Thaksin) and haven't researched it well enough.

Why didn't the violent overthrow of Morsi in Egypt get reported the same way, as he was elected democratically after all. Why the double standards in the case of Thailand?

The right to demonstrate peacefully is not at issue. The right to block others from voting, however, is at issue, as is the "right" to execute yet another military or judicial coup (using the effects of the election disruption itself as the pretext, no doubt).

There isn't going to be a military or judicial coup!!! If you think there is you are mistaken.

Is that why Korn said the last election the dems spent more trying to buy votes than the PTP and still lost ? just saying. whistling.gif

Not in the South!

(Edit: Lot's of interesting reading on the subject. Not sure if I can post the link here, but here it is anyway)

http://asiancorrespondent.com/116697/vote-buying-thaksin-and-the-democrats/

Not in the South from either side as there is no need - the people have the intelligence to make up their own minds and don't need the money!!

@SichonSteve //Not in the South from either side as there is no need - the people have the intelligence to make up their own minds and don't need the money!!//

- Steve, you do realize that by producing these kind of statements ,you have lost any/all credibility. Not only have some of my relatives been paid to vote for the Dems but I have witnessed the vote buying myself. It´s neither a PTP thing nor a DEM thing... it´s a Thai thing. Try to see the world with your own eyes for once and not through your family's.

Edited by maxme
  • Like 1

@SichonSteve //Not in the South from either side as there is no need - the people have the intelligence to make up their own minds and don't need the money!!//

- Steve, you do realize that by producing these kind of statements ,you have lost any/all credibility. Not only have some of my relatives been paid to vote for the Dems but I have witnessed the vote buying myself. It´s neither a PTP thing nor a DEM thing... it´s a Thai thing. Try to see the world with your own eyes for once and not through your family's.

The Dems don't need to buy votes in the South as their MP's are a shoe in - why waste money getting your vote up from 70% to 75%?? Just doesn't make any sense, does it? think about it just for one second. Similarly, if it is a lost cause the PTP would be wasting their money as well.

Can't say about elsewhere where it is neck and neck (some areas in the West, Central plains, and even portions of Bangkok) but I bet that if both sides take part in this blatant corruption it will be highly biased towards PTP as they have no credibility what so ever!!

The Dems don't need to buy votes in the South as their MP's are a shoe in - why waste money getting your vote up from 70% to 75%?? Just doesn't make any sense, does it? think about it just for one second. Similarly, if it is a lost cause the PTP would be wasting their money as well.

Can't say about elsewhere where it is neck and neck (some areas in the West, Central plains, and even portions of Bangkok) but I bet that if both sides take part in this blatant corruption it will be highly biased towards PTP as they have no credibility what so ever!!

In general most of the Southerners don´t give a rat's ass about politics but if they get paid for it then it's OK to be bothered. Nakhon politicians have quite a nasty reputation for disposing their opponents by either blackmail or even assassination attempts. So a lot of the locals don´t want to be part of that mess.

The ones who will gain on having the DEMs in power are the rubber plantation owners and palm oil tycooners. These people only care about their revenue streams and to secure it stays that way, they install trust funds for their local politicans who then kindly ask the people to give them their vote in return for a generous offer between 500-1200 baht.

Vote buying it's rife in the South as it is in the North-East. The difference in methods between the PTP and the DEMs may differ but the outcome is the same.

In general most of the Southerners don´t give a rat's ass about politics but if they get paid for it then it's OK to be bothered. Nakhon politicians have quite a nasty reputation for disposing their opponents by either blackmail or even assassination attempts. So a lot of the locals don´t want to be part of that mess.

The ones who will gain on having the DEMs in power are the rubber plantation owners and palm oil tycooners. These people only care about their revenue streams and to secure it stays that way, they install trust funds for their local politicans who then kindly ask the people to give them their vote in return for a generous offer between 500-1200 baht.

Vote buying it's rife in the South as it is in the North-East. The difference in methods between the PTP and the DEMs may differ but the outcome is the same.

If you want to believe that happens then that is up to you - you might be the only one though!!

If you want to believe that happens then that is up to you - you might be the only one though!!

Oh dear, instead of making a rebuttal you sort to this childish behaviour. It´s not very uncommon though, seen it many times down in the south. On the yellow brick road, ey Steve?

• Like 1

It's not a rebuttal at all. I am just saying that I don't agree with your version of events one iota.

You stick to your story and I'll believe mine!!

Steve, you're floundering here mate. Do some reading and you'll find there's a considerable body of evidence that vote buying is, and has been, endemic in Thai politics and is by no means restricted to one party. Even if votes are "bought" there is no guarantee that the buyer will vote for the party that paid them.

• Like 1

He's a fellow Old Alleynian but as a journalist I cannot defend him and I won't.

But let's face it, the BBC isn't what it was any more. sad.png

You claim to be a journalist and yet you write a tautological sentence like this:

"But let's face it, the BBC isn't what it was any more."

You: fail.

Jonathan Head: pass.

I'm not a journalist! Read again...... I said 'as a journalist I cannot defend him' although as a fellow OB who was at the same school as myself (a few years below me in fact) I ordinarily would.

As for 'tautology' I think you are drifting into the world of semantics old chap!

It's not a rebuttal at all. I am just saying that I don't agree with your version of events one iota.

Steve, you're floundering here mate. Do some reading and you'll find there's a considerable body of evidence that vote buying is, and has been, endemic in Thai politics and is by no means restricted to one party. Even if votes are "bought" there is no guarantee that the buyer will vote for the party that paid them.

I really don't think that it is that important or relevant and I will decline the opportunity to check up on this 'considerable body of evidence' as I have other things to do.

I am just happy that the courts will be dealing with Yingluck and her gang of thieves soon and they will wave their judicial wands and she will be no more!!!

Now that's worth talking about as it makes me feel very happy that justice will have been served!!wai2.gif.

I really don't think that it is that important or relevant and I will decline the opportunity to check up on this 'considerable body of evidence' as I have other things to do.

I am just happy that the courts will be dealing with Yingluck and her gang of thieves soon and they will wave their judicial wands and she will be no more!!!

Now that's worth talking about as it makes me feel very happy that justice will have been served!!wai2.gif.

laugh.png

Oh my in denial that the south is a utopia of honesty and the boogy man theory, wave the magic wand and itll all just go away ? crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Poor thing.

The fact of the matter is that foreign media correspondents continue to place the focus solely on what they see as the 'undemocratic' issue of the opposition not wanting to partake in elections until reforms had been put in place to ensure that such elections were free and fair. As a result, they have failed to outline the numerous infractions of this government to the outside world.

Many overseas observers are well aware that Thaksin is a convicted person who cannot return to Thailand, but they are fed additional suggestions by the foreign media that the convictions against him "may have been" politically motivated, which is pure nonsense. He was convicted fairly and squarely for fraudulent actions whilst in office.

They also paint a picture of his sister being a good prime minister, which of course, is far from true. I think they should place emphasis on the fact that she has neither the background nor the training for the role, and that in fact, Thailand is currently being run by the convict in exile. Greater emphasis should also be placed on the missing billions during the PTP tenure, focusing particularly on the NACC probe, which is likely to see Yingluck impeached, and probably, imprisoned.

Jonathan Head is an embarrassment to us, as he can see no further then the nose on his face. If the outside world were provided with the full details of the rape and pillage of this country during the PTP tenure, then perhaps there would be less sympathy for Yingluck, a little more sympathy for the impact that it has had on the grass roots people of Thailand, and perhaps a little more than a suggestion for more women in politics from the UN...!!

Everything here is politically motivated and manipulated George, be it real corruption or an anti democratic attempt to install a peoples council. its really not complicated other than the fact there are factions and people that cannot be discussed by law here to fill in the details.

It really is simply the rich few and unelectable just demanding they control the majority because they cant do it democratically. Nothing complicated about the basics of it.

No need for sympathy because the system allowed it to happen due to the many coups and instability of governments over the past 80 years. That people here think the rest of the world dosnt get it just goes to show the effect of draconian laws here on the psyche. They get it pretty well at the basic level everyone else isnt wrong m8 its the ones here with blinkers on turned inwards that dont get it... the rest of the world does.

Tosh, as usual.

I cannot find one investigative journalist who had really probed the actions of a government forced to dissolve parliament. All fluffy powdery sugar coated stuff. AFP, with its repeated 'adored' Thaksin phrase, the lightweight Head with his sympathetic BBC reports. The interviews YL gave were laughable. Only Veronica Pedrozza pushed, and soon realized she wasn't going to get any intelligent or coherent responses.

Thaksin's PR machine, coupled with left leaning foreign journalists presents a very slanted view. What is really sad, is these so called journalists still see PTP as the 'people's party" and Thaksin as some kind of savior, completely ignoring the plight of the farmers and the massive underlying corruption.

The rest of the world, by and large, couldn't give a toss. And the lack of real reporting ain't gonna change that.

When YL and co get probed and maybe charged with corruption, how many foreign journalists will really follow this, dig a bit like real journalists? And how many will simply try and dismiss all the charges as politically motivated just like her brothers fraud conviction?

• Like 2

Oh my in denial that the south is a utopia of honesty and the boogy man theory, wave the magic wand and itll all just go away ? crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Poor thing.

I'm sure that the South isn't any more a utopia of honesty than anywhere else in the world.

But, I don't believe that the Shin clan and their cronies are ether, as you seem to suggest. Or that the previous actions of others somehow justify or legitimize the crimes of today.

Who in their right mind would think a government controlled by a convicted fraudster fugitive would be honest?

Looks like you do.

As Eric Morecambe used to say - "there's always one!"

• Like 2