First experience requiring an ambulance in Thailand after being here for 12 years.

Kaymcdonnell

We had a lady walk into our office today on Sai Yuan, Rawai, she was suffering from a heart condition and needed an ambulance. We tried the 1669 number but nobody picked up. We tried the police and lots of other numbers but it took 20 mins to finally organize it. Then 20 mins after that we got a phone call asking for information of the problem and where our office was, presumably from the transit ambulance. Finally after another 5 mins we got the ambulance.

Total 45 mins……. is that good/bad for Thailand?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to ride in an ambulance last year. Apparently it took about 1/2 an hour to get to Chalong. Less time back to BKK Hospital using bells and sirens.

Good service, bed to bed, I got to lay down for the trip, with a pretty young nurse holding my hand. And all for the huge sum of 800 baht. Not much more than the cost of a ride in a small, open farm truck driven by an armed, drunken criminal!

"Not much more than the cost of a ride in a small, open farm truck driven by an armed, drunken criminal!"

You've been to Oz then?

Come from there, now live in Phuket where the real crims drive taxis.

Kaymcdonnell, on 15 Feb 2014 - 16:11, said:
Costas2008, on 15 Feb 2014 - 15:04, said:

I'm surprised that 1669 didn't answer, usually they are very good and prompt.

Which number did you get through at the end?

As about the 45 minutes, it's a long time considering the condition of the patient.

we finally got through on 1669 but it took a long time

I would suggest, your office, files a complain with 1669.

They will take it seriously.

That's 30mins quicker than I got in KL whilst laying on the pavement having a heart attack.

Perhaps it coincided with prayer time.

Good to see you survived despite the service.

Evidently you only read the parts of post that you think important. OP was not the one in need.

That's 30mins quicker than I got in KL whilst laying on the pavement having a heart attack.

Evidently you only read the parts of post that you think important. OP was not the one in need.

So?

Evidently you only read the parts of post that you think important. OC was not replying to the OP.

• Like 2

I was quoting fasteddie, not the OP.

I think you're the one with comprehension problems circusman.

• Like 2

I got to ride in an ambulance last year. Apparently it took about 1/2 an hour to get to Chalong. Less time back to BKK Hospital using bells and sirens.

Good service, bed to bed, I got to lay down for the trip, with a pretty young nurse holding my hand. And all for the huge sum of 800 baht. Not much more than the cost of a ride in a small, open farm truck driven by an armed, drunken criminal!

Not much more than the cost of a ride in a small, open farm truck driven by an armed, drunken criminal! How much did this cost? I'm a bit short of cash at the moment!!!

"Not much more than the cost of a ride in a small, open farm truck driven by an armed, drunken criminal!"

You've been to Oz then?

Come from there, now live in Phuket where the real crims drive taxis.

as opposed to police cars?

Not much more than the cost of a ride in a small, open farm truck driven by an armed, drunken criminal! How much did this cost? I'm a bit short of cash at the moment!!!
Turn up at Phuket airport Muddie and ask the first guy you see if he could arrange to get you to a good hotel and you'll find out how much!
  • Like 1

Call 1719, alarm number for Bangkok Phuket Hospital. Always quick reply and always English speaking people on the phone.

Thanks that number is in my phone now. I was so stressed when i did not even know who to phone. I kept thinking that how stupid it was that i have been here so long and did not have numbers like that in my phone. I would suggest to everyone that they take note of important numbers like that.

or learn basic first aid and CPR

Turn up at Phuket airport Muddie and ask the first guy you see if he could arrange to get you to a good hotel and you'll find out how much!

Presumably an argument follows.......and then the discussion about a lift to the hospital follows shortly afterwards!!!

Kaymcdonnell, on 15 Feb 2014 - 16:11, said:
Costas2008, on 15 Feb 2014 - 15:04, said:

I'm surprised that 1669 didn't answer, usually they are very good and prompt.

Which number did you get through at the end?

As about the 45 minutes, it's a long time considering the condition of the patient.

we finally got through on 1669 but it took a long time

I would suggest, your office, files a complain with 1669.

They will take it seriously.

the thing that annoys me the most is that i did not have the numbers in my phone, it would have been quicker as it took about 5 mins to find out the emergency number (the thais also did not seem to know). If there had been someone lying dying in the road i would have been totally useless.

Call 1719, alarm number for Bangkok Phuket Hospital. Always quick reply and always English speaking people on the phone.

Thanks that number is in my phone now. I was so stressed when i did not even know who to phone. I kept thinking that how stupid it was that i have been here so long and did not have numbers like that in my phone. I would suggest to everyone that they take note of important numbers like that.

or learn basic first aid and CPR

The first thing you'll learn on any CPR course: call in professionals.

Don't worry, that's still "fast" for this country.13 years ago in Germany,I went to my mother's flat to say hello, when she instantly fell ,caused by a heart attack.

I phoned the ambulance, living only one minute away from the hospital, from which they usually take off with an emergency doctor, following the ambulance.

Bad was that the ambulance car driver was from East Germany and not familiar with the city. I was trying to keep my mom alive, while i always heard an ambulance driving downtown.( Even cab drivers have to make a street knowledge test, but not ambulance car drivers....)

When I phoned them again, they'd told me to stay calm? Calm with my dying mom in my arms, trying to.resuscitate her........???=blink.png

Finally, they found our house, but it took 84 minutes. The laws say 10 minutes, wherever an emergency is.

Then a fresh graduated emergency doctor who wanted to inject her Adrenaline into a non functioning blood circulation. I had to remind him that this wouldn't work........................

He wasn't familiar with the final decision to inject it straight into her heart and I wanted to kill him and the driver who was shaking.....

Then he'd tried electroshock, but it was too late.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Don't worry, that's still "fast" for this country.13 years ago in Germany,I went to my mother's flat to say hello, when she instantly fell ,caused by a heart attack.

I phoned the ambulance, living only one minute away from the hospital, from which they usually take off with an emergency doctor, following the ambulance.

Bad was that the ambulance car driver was from East Germany and not familiar with the city. I was trying to keep my mom alive, while i always heard an ambulance driving downtown.( Even cab drivers have to make a street knowledge test, but not ambulance car drivers....)

When I phoned them again, they'd told me to stay calm? Calm with my dying mom in my arms, trying to.resuscitate her........???=blink.png

Finally, they found our house, but it took 84 minutes. The laws say 10 minutes, wherever an emergency is.

Then a fresh graduated emergency doctor who wanted to inject her Adrenaline into a non functioning blood circulation. I had to remind him that this wouldn't work........................

He wasn't familiar with the final decision to inject it straight into her heart and I wanted to kill him and the driver who was shaking.....

Then he'd tried electroshock, but it was too late.-wai2.gif

Very sorry for you and your mum. This is why now i at least will make sure that i have the emergency numbers.

• Like 1

I would just call a taxi and offer them 2000 baht, probably get you to the hospital quicker than any ambulance could

Exactly what my wife did when we had a big m/bike smash many many years ago, I was unconcious at the time. No idea who paid for the taxi ride and cleaning out the blood in the back.