First experience requiring an ambulance in Thailand after being here for 12 years.

Kaymcdonnell

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just call a taxi and offer them 2000 baht, probably get you to the hospital quicker than any ambulance could

Exactly what my wife did when we had a big m/bike smash many many years ago, I was unconcious at the time. No idea who paid for the taxi ride and cleaning out the blood in the back.

My experience is that Thais can be extremely hospitable in these sought of situations, the driver probably didnt charge you anything and went to make merit in the morning to bring him some luck. Such is the confusing Thai way at times.

This topic reminds me of the saying "expect nothing and you will never be disappointed" The clue words "emergency" and "urgent" don't seem to have meaning in Thailand. I just hope I never have to use this "ambulance service"

• Like 1

I got to ride in an ambulance last year. Apparently it took about 1/2 an hour to get to Chalong. Less time back to BKK Hospital using bells and sirens.

Good service, bed to bed, I got to lay down for the trip, with a pretty young nurse holding my hand. And all for the huge sum of 800 baht. Not much more than the cost of a ride in a small, open farm truck driven by an armed, drunken criminal!

"Not much more than the cost of a ride in a small, open farm truck driven by an armed, drunken criminal!"

You've been to Oz then?

Hey! The Ambos do a great job in Oz!!

Defiantely agree with Steven l

1719 bkk hospital.

By far far better than any other option

These are the three numbers I keep and will call directly if I am in their area: .

Kata/Karon: 076 330 913 (Tambon Karon Ambulance Located at the fire station in Kata Beach)

Chalong/Rawai: 076 214 368 (Phuket Provencial Authority Orginisation (PPAO) Tourist Rescue Center Ambulance at Chalong Pier)

Phuket Town/Kathu: 076 210 935 (Phuket International Hospital/Siriroj Ambulance)

Phuket Town: 1719 (Bangkok Phuket Hospital)

Patong: 076 342 633 ext.113 or 114 (Patong Hospital Ambulance)

Make that 5. I added the PBH and Patong to the list.

I have always called Phuket International Hospital when needing an ambulance at my hotel near to the airport.

I seem to recall the cost was about 3000 baht, so use it for real emergencies only. Time from hospital to the airport was always slow during the daytime (traffic), but alarmingly fast at night, perhaps 20 minutes.

I got to ride in an ambulance last year. Apparently it took about 1/2 an hour to get to Chalong. Less time back to BKK Hospital using bells and sirens.

Good service, bed to bed, I got to lay down for the trip, with a pretty young nurse holding my hand. And all for the huge sum of 800 baht. Not much more than the cost of a ride in a small, open farm truck driven by an armed, drunken criminal!

It is posts like yours that make me wish they had a "now that is funny" button. Glad to hear it turned out good for you.

As to the topic. I have been to Phiket a few times but am really unfamiliar with the Island. How far are the hospitals or the points the ambulances are dispatched from to where you are. Is it in rush hour traffic. Hard to say.

Bottom line is the first hour can often be the most critical and it was good that they got there in 45 minutes.

It is posts like yours that make me wish they had a "now that is funny" button. Glad to hear it turned out good for you.

As to the topic. I have been to Phiket a few times but am really unfamiliar with the Island. How far are the hospitals or the points the ambulances are dispatched from to where you are. Is it in rush hour traffic. Hard to say.

Bottom line is the first hour can often be the most critical and it was good that they got there in 45 minutes.

The problem is associated with there being no single "emergency" number or central control.

Even in the event of an ambulance actually being dispatched there are horrendous traffic problems and Thai drivers do not give way to emergency vehicles

My experience with ambulance services in Chiang Mai is a bit different. Last week I was riding my bicycle when I was hit from behind by a guy on a motorcycle. I ended up crashed in the middle of the road with the bike in shambles. Almost immediately there were people around me directing traffic away from me and asking if I was OK. Someone called an ambulance and it was there within 15 minutes and I was off to Lanna Hospital. The EMT guys seemed to know what they were doing and applied first aid correctly.

When we got to the hospital I asked about paying for the service and was told it was free. All they wanted was a photocopy of my passport then they left. I don't consider 15 minutes an excessive response time since I was riding near San Soi and the ambulance had to find where the accident was in order to get me.

I could be wrong but that was my experience and I was not dissatisfied with their performance.

• Like 1

The problem is associated with there being no single "emergency" number or central control.

Even in the event of an ambulance actually being dispatched there are horrendous traffic problems and Thai drivers do not give way to emergency vehicles

I see generally they give way once they know an ambulance is trying to get through but there are some who seem totally oblivious, or just don't care, about a vehicle behind them with sirens blaring & lights flashing. Then there are stretches of road where it is difficult to give way. I saw an ambulance trying to get through, without much success, on the stretch of Chao Fa West by Promphan supermarket where the narrow road was full of peak hour traffic.

Call 1719, alarm number for Bangkok Phuket Hospital. Always quick reply and always English speaking people on the phone.

Thanks that number is in my phone now. I was so stressed when i did not even know who to phone. I kept thinking that how stupid it was that i have been here so long and did not have numbers like that in my phone. I would suggest to everyone that they take note of important numbers like that.

or learn basic first aid and CPR

Even if YOU know CPR no way you'll keep it up for 45 minutes if doing it properly. Would need other trained people to relieve each other when get tired.

• Like 1

Call 1719, alarm number for Bangkok Phuket Hospital. Always quick reply and always English speaking people on the phone.

Thanks that number is in my phone now. I was so stressed when i did not even know who to phone. I kept thinking that how stupid it was that i have been here so long and did not have numbers like that in my phone. I would suggest to everyone that they take note of important numbers like that.

or learn basic first aid and CPR

The first thing you'll learn on any CPR course: call in professionals.

And hope they answer?

Two years back I tried to get an ambulance from Phuket to Khao Lak, knowing the hospitals in Phangnga province are not exactly first rate. Don't remember if I called the Bangkok Phuket or the International. I was told they needed a confirmation by a local doctor first. Inconvenient time of the the day, wasting time no good, ended up sending the customer down to Phuket by taxi.

Two years back I tried to get an ambulance from Phuket to Khao Lak, knowing the hospitals in Phangnga province are not exactly first rate. Don't remember if I called the Bangkok Phuket or the International. I was told they needed a confirmation by a local doctor first. Inconvenient time of the the day, wasting time no good, ended up sending the customer down to Phuket by taxi.

Sorry,as I haven't been down there since short after the Tsunami in 2004.

Isn't the Takua Pa hospital a better place to contact, if you really need an ambulance?-wai2.gif

Not much more than the cost of a ride in a small, open farm truck driven by an armed, drunken criminal! How much did this cost? I'm a bit short of cash at the moment!!!

Muddy,

you've been short of cash since the beginning of AC2. 555

I would just call a taxi and offer them 2000 baht, probably get you to the hospital quicker than any ambulance could

Agree (though maybe not 2000 baht unless someone is bleeding/vomiting and the like) - unless there is an injury wherein it is inadvisable to move the person, it is usually best to take any available transport directly to the hospital rather than call an ambulance. By the time an ambulance gets to where you are, you (or the patient) could already have reached the hospital.

Sorry,as I haven't been down there since short after the Tsunami in 2004.

Isn't the Takua Pa hospital a better place to contact, if you really need an ambulance?-wai2.gif

They are OK for simple motorcycle accidents, but anything more complicated they can only stabilize you till you can be sent to a better equipped and staffed hospital.

What amazes me is how the cars will only slowly get out of the way of an ambulance behind them with sirens sounding.

Travelling from Korat to Bkk a few years ago, on a day after a long weekend, traffic was at a crawl. We actually overtook an ambulance at one stage. We were on the inside lane and he was on outside but the traffic just did not make a swift action to move over for the ambulance.

About 4 years ago my neighbor attempted suicide. Without going into a lot of detail, my GF and I found him. I instructed her to call the local medics ASAP, which she did. He had taken 3 different types of pills, about 100 in all. There were empty blister packs all over his room, as well as 3 large empty Chang bottles, and one empty bottle of Jack Daniels (at least he had some taste). He was having severe convulsions, and his head was bleeding. I got that under control, and made him as comfortable as I could. The police showed up after about 15 minutes. They did nothing but stare. After about 10 minutes, what appeared to be the head policeman, asked my GF if I was the guys boyfriend, and then him and all his buddies laughed. About 10 minutes later, the ambulance showed up. They didn’t take vitals; in fact they only strapped him to an old wooden backboard. As they were carrying him to the ambulance I grabbed one of each of the 3 different blister packs and handed them to one of the attendants. He looked at them, rolled his eyes, and stuffed them in his pocket. Then, they literally threw the patient into the back of the ambulance.

I only hope this was an isolated incident.

Edited by Shot

A bit shocking posts about ambulance experiences.

A few (quite a few) times I’ve been in need of calling an ambulance for traffic accidents (not me, but passing or witness), which often happens at Koh Samui where I stay. I call directly to the islands volunteer organisation, Samui Rescue, and I’ve never experienced more than minutes from a call until an ambulance showed up, often also a paramedic on motorbike as he can come fast through traffic jams.

I thought there were similar volunteer foundations other places, like Phuket. But perhaps I’m lucky to live a place having that. There used to be a website about Samui Rescue Foundation (seems out of order now), but from a web achieve the “about” text is available – I extract some hi-lights that may be inspiration for other parts of Thailand:

[sic]

Samui Rescue provides emergency paramedic, rescue, and ambulance services.

This emergency service is FREE to both Thai people and foreigners whatever their situation.

Samui rescue have been helping people in Koh Samui for over 19 years, and has over 200 qualified and experienced volunteers placed in strategic locations around the island in order to provide full island cover, 24 hours a day – 7 days a week…

The Samui Rescue volunteers are trained as ‘First Responders’ by the Samui Hospital in Nathon, and they are the first on the scene of any accident/incident in over 95% of cases on the island.

Samui Rescue work ‘hand-in-hand’ with the island’s other emergency services (police, fire and hospitals) and constantly monitors these services with professional Amateur Radio equipment – bought by the volunteers themselves (over 85% of the Samui Rescue staff have portable walkie-talkies/radios).

Samui Rescue Teams are sited in ‘stand-by’ sites at Nathon (Samui Rescue’s headquarters), Saket, Lipanoi, Lamai, ByLaem, and Maenam. These sites are manned (and ‘womanned’!) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by volunteers totally committed to ‘helping others’. They have to be totally committed, as the organization (although it does get some donations) is essentially ‘self-funded’. This means that ALL of the volunteers have bought ALL of their equipment themselves… from their medical bags (and the bandages, equipment etc inside them), to their uniforms and mobile radios! Many Rescue staff use their own vehicles to rush to emergencies, and have therefore bought even the ‘blues and twos’ and sirens on their cars (and, of course, also pay for the petrol that goes in those cars!).

This site is not only a tribute to the amazing people that go to make up Samui Rescue, but also as a means to let people know the just what Samui Rescue staff find themselves having to deal with… from recovering bodies of drowned/natural death/murder victims… extricating critically injured people from car wrecks… attending to (and transporting to hospital) accident/emergency victims (everything from R.T.A.’s to heart attacks)… as well as…

Organizing and collecting food for Samui’s poorer families

Educating and entertaining youngsters during Samui’s ‘Kids Day’

Removing snakes (and other dangerous animals) from peoples homes

…and almost anything else that you can think of which comes under ‘Helping others’!

• 3 months later...

My only experience of calling 1669 was in Patong a few years ago when I was walking the streets one night with a fellow TPV guy from Canada.

I had just said to him 'quiet tonight isn't it' when a Thai guy on a motorbike who was driving the wrong way up the road took a swallow dive after hitting a car and landed at our feet with a heavy thump - on his head - and no crash helmet.....

I dialed 1669 immediately, explained the location, and the volunteer ambulance was there within just a few minutes. Prior to that, we cleared the victims airway etc etc.

So a very good response from the 1669 service, but I am sure the response time would be longer now, (more traffic usually).

Oh but now we've had the coup the roads are deserted, so this should be a bonus if you need an ambulance...