bicycles in bangkok - a trend?

catweazle08

i see every now and then a group of thais with professional gear and bicycles driving through bangkok.

this image was not very common a few years ago, so i´m asking myself: is this a new trend in bkk?!

your view on this? any more background-informations or a link to an article?

thx in advance.

Yes is a new trend. The more expensive you bike/gear is the higher will be your status. They like the very thin wheels which will perfectly fit in the cracks in the roads. I always wonder why they prefer the racingbikes instead of the mountainbikes, maybe that will be the trend for next year.

My observation too. A good sign I think, basically people with influence on their bikes. Makes the topic of road safety move higher up the agenda.

I ride around Bangkok and in many ways it is safer than in Australia. People are more aware about bikes.

My take on motorbike rides here is the they like to kill themselves at speed, drunk, and helmetless. Hard to do that on a pushie.

I am Dutch so i have ridden a few push bikes in my time.

But here i prefer motorbikes as you need speed torque to get out of the way of cars.

For me its much safer as a push bike here. Been riding motorbike for years here and noticed that i actually feel safer on the ones with more torque.

But of course some things are personal and i wear safety gear not just a helmet when im out on the big bike, less so on the scooter.

I dont want to think of of doing a U turn on a busy road on a push bike.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yes, i noticed that too,

seems like they only ride the expensive bikes with fancy gear, clothes and other extras.

so status is even important on a bike...

Status is what it is all about in Thailand. Into the extreme.

The problem with big expensive cars with tainted windows is that nobody can see you sitting in it, on a bike they canwhistling.gif

The full gear they need to keep their skin white (but mostly they bike at dusk or dawn) . I even see farang biking here in the never-ending traffic jam between all the cars and trying to avoid the motorbikes that are speeding in between the cars. They don't wear a helmet though.

Some Thai bikers wear the helmet, mouthmask, sunglasses, sportslegging, special bike-shoes, long sleeve shirts (with advertising), gloves, the whole lot. I always wonder how far they will bike. Well it is the same in Europe though, i have uncles who have bikes from 10k euro but at least they bike distances of thousands of km's all over europe from north to south.

My observation too. A good sign I think, basically people with influence on their bikes. Makes the topic of road safety move higher up the agenda.

I ride around Bangkok and in many ways it is safer than in Australia. People are more aware about bikes.

My take on motorbike rides here is the they like to kill themselves at speed, drunk, and helmetless. Hard to do that on a pushie.

you are joking, aren't you? I've never tried, and I've never managed it, but I don't think it would be difficult to get killed on a pedalcycle.

I went to a public safety seminar in Hong Kong , and the transport chap ascribed the improvement in road safety to the "elimination" of cyclists.

SC

As a scandinavian I both like and dislike bikes. I like bikes, because they are simply an easy, cheap, healthy and enjoyable way to get around in a city. On the other hand I strongly dislike the passion that some put into bikes, simply because their government makes cars so expensive that you think it is communist China.

I see quite a few bikes around Thonglor, mostly foreigners, probably dutch, scandis and germans, but also some japanese and a few Thais. I've actually considered if the time is right to introduce high market bikes to the affluent Thai market, but showing off wealth in the form of car still seems too ingrained.

you are joking, aren't you? I've never tried, and I've never managed it, but I don't think it would be difficult to get killed on a pedalcycle.

I went to a public safety seminar in Hong Kong , and the transport chap ascribed the improvement in road safety to the "elimination" of cyclists.

SC

Alas so many who have never ridden a bike in Bangkok have such strong opinions as to what it is actually like.

my daily experience on a bicycle in Bangkok is that the drivers are quite attuned to bikes as well.

As a scandinavian I both like and dislike bikes. I like bikes, because they are simply an easy, cheap, healthy and enjoyable way to get around in a city. On the other hand I strongly dislike the passion that some put into bikes, simply because their government makes cars so expensive that you think it is communist China.

I see quite a few bikes around Thonglor, mostly foreigners, probably dutch, scandis and germans, but also some japanese and a few Thais. I've actually considered if the time is right to introduce high market bikes to the affluent Thai market, but showing off wealth in the form of car still seems too ingrained.

high end bikes are most certainly here as is a very active road scene and a rapidly growing mountain bike culture. you have missed the boat on that one.

I dont want to think of of doing a U turn on a busy road on a push bike.

I don't know about you, but I plan my bike routes to avoid u-turns
I dont ride a bike for fun. Not here did that back home. So here i would have to do U turns and i am sure they are deadly on a bike

high end bikes are most certainly here as is a very active road scene and a rapidly growing mountain bike culture. you have missed the boat on that one.

Nope, I am talking about "high end" every day bikes, not racing bikes or mountain bike, like a classic Raleigh bike:

CLASSIC_de_luxe_herre_black.jpg

It costs nothing compared to a top end racing bike or mountain bike, but still as much as a Honda motorcycle. Then again, it is also a very comfortable bike and perfect for city riding.

Why would I want that many gears?

Less is more sometimes.

Also, see that uncomfortable small saddle, the lowered handle bars, compared to the bigger, more comfortable saddle on the Raleigh and the raised handlebars, which allow for a perfect upright position, so you don't get pain in your back.

Sorry mate, but that bike isn't comfortable.

Here is my favorite bike. It's a Schwinn Crosscut 21 speed. It's cross between a road bike (longer frame) and a mountain bike

(mid-width tires and mountain bike gearing.)

This bike is super light weight, has a great leather seat, and cost $1500 USD in 1991.

It was built in Taiwan, but designed by the Paramount Group for the Schwinn racing team.

91f.jpg

IMG_1666-2.jpg

yes, it is an early hybrid, the cannondale pictured above is a current version.

At least it is a move into the correct century over the raleigh which is suitable for little more than a nip down to the corner shops and barely maneuverable in comparison with poor coaster brakes on the rear and little better up front.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with cruisers, if you arent going far and dont require to be able to stop or turn in any great hurry, just hardly ideal for a commute in bangkok or any serious exercise.

Edited by HooHaa

My all time favorite bike was a Schwinn Typhoon with a chrome springer front-end. That thing was bad f'n a@@!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh, and it was made in Chicago.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry, the closest thing I have to that is a 1960 Tiger in radiant red, made in Chicago. No lower straight bar or springer though.

Red001.jpg

Edited by NeverSure

SC

You've never ridden a bike on public roads in Australia then?

As for riding in Bangkok, don't knock it till you've tried it. Stick to the back streets and you'll be fine. Even for some of the major thoroughfares downtown you are often travelling faster than the traffic so hard to be hit then.