Domestic flight with Bangkok Airways - what ID needed?

stuartcox

Stuart---Last year I flew from Bangkok to Phuket return with Bangkok Airways---I booked online and both ways they asked me to show the show the Visa Card I booked with --with my E-ticket ---that's all --so be aware of that if you did the same--as you could be refused boarding if you don't have it with you

As for not carrying your Passport-- I really don't know if that would be an issue at the domestic if they asked for it--best to call and find out --Legally I believe you are supposed to carry at all times--I don't --I carry a Credit Card size copy of the main page--have been asked for I.D a few time on my travels in Thailand --always been accepted---so far whistling.gif

Edited by Bucko

Though it seems that some of you have gotten away with a Thai DL and/or copies of your passport's picture page etc in the past when getting on an Inter-Thai domestic flight... the phrase that should really be remembered is 'by discretion of the person/agent/official' passing you through check in and/or boarding process.

By regulation every passenger must have a valid form of photo identification. Usually for inter-country flights a DL will be sufficient. However, while in a country that is not your own or where you are required to have a Passport to travel to in the first place and or a Visa in place to stay/travel within that country, you passport is required for air travel.

Now we all know that this is not always the case here in LOS. Sometimes no one is really looking and it is just an inter-Thai flight after all. So as with other countries a DL will work just fine. But to travel in any country that is not your own without being able to do so with your Passport in hand is both silly and in some situations dangerous and certainly illegal (by the laws of the visited country).

It is a pain in the neck I know, but wait for your Visa to be issued and then travel with you Passport. That way you will not have to worry, wonder what might happen, and actually not loose any sleep over any of it. It may require some change of plans for you or rescheduling, but at the end of the day you will be doing things by the book and therefore have nothing to 'hide' or worry about.

Passport...of course...always required by non citizens, even if they do not ask to see it. Also need to show that at the hotel you stay at and when you rent vehicles or exchange money. An essential document for one who travels. Why would you not carry it with you, and never fear?

I stay many hotels in Thailand and I live here, driving license is always enough.

Passport...of course...always required by non citizens, even if they do not ask to see it. Also need to show that at the hotel you stay at and when you rent vehicles or exchange money. An essential document for one who travels. Why would you not carry it with you, and never fear?

Have you ever lost a passport? It's a $1,000 dollar mistake! I just carry photocopies and Thai DL now.

Any government recognized photo ID (Thai DL. ID card etc) is sufficient for domestic flights.

From the Thai Website For domestic flights, only your ticket and I.D are required.

From the Bangkok air Website : Passenger must present Passport / Official ID Card / Travel Document needed upon check-in ( Passport for intentional flights.)

I am a US citizen and I recently flew Bangkok Air twice last November and December. Each time the travel agent office asked for my Passport and when I checked in at the airport the airline agent asked for my passport. I do not and did not ask if any other types of ID would suffice.

Wow thai dl for flights? so it was worth the hustle at the dept of land transport :D

...... and it doesn't stop there....down here in Phuket if we show our Thai Driving Licence we pay Thai prices for most tourist attractions, Bangkok and Pattaya too. Also I find that banks etc always prefer the Thai Licence when offered the choice of passport and DL.

SDM

Any official government photo ID will suffice for domestic flights, including your driving licence from home...so long as the name is in Roman characters and the photo is of you. I always use mine and have never had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I've flown PG many times BKK-CNX or BKK-LPG, always check in on line, never been asked any kind of ID any time. You'd think they'd ask at the security line, but they don't, they just stare at the BP.

I've purchased tickets on-line, and at the ATO, again with PG; I've had to show an ID at the ATO upon purchase; I used a U.S. D/L as I did not have my passport or Thai D/Ls in hand. I've purchased tickets for third-parties, obviously did not have their IDs, and others have purchased tickets for me without showing my ID.

With a document from the foreign embassy in Bangkok processing the visa and holding the passport, and any quasi-government issued ID, you should be fine for domestic flights. Whether the MH370 incident blows down to increased security procedures for domestic flights remains seen.

• 11 months later...

Any official government photo ID will suffice for domestic flights, including your driving licence from home...so long as the name is in Roman characters and the photo is of you. I always use mine and have never had a problem.

I am a US citizen and I recently flew Bangkok Air twice last November and December. Each time the travel agent office asked for my Passport and when I checked in at the airport the airline agent asked for my passport. I do not and did not ask if any other types of ID would suffice.

They ask foreigners for their passport just out of habit but it is not required.

Any official photo ID is enough. (Confirmed on their website)

• 1 year later...

For anyone looking in on this old 2014 thread, Nok Air confirmed to me today that I can fly domestic with the original of my drivers license.

I did ask about copy passports too but the lady got confused and told me I could not use a copy drivers license, must be original. I chose not to pursue the conversation further.

Call the airline customer service number if you want to be sure which document you can use as an alternative to your original passport. Nok Air's no is

02 900 9955.

As with all old threads let's not regurgitate all the issues unless it adds new information or asks a new question that is not addressed here already

Edited by SantiSuk