FA Cup attendances

mrbojangles

Don't know about you guys but I was disappointed in some of the attendances yesterday, particularly at the Sunderlan v Southampton and Cardiff V Wigan games. It's the 5th Round of the FA Cup, so there should be more there than there was. It's no coincidence that those two games were a bit flat.

Controversial but I think any club that can't get at least 50% attendance in a home tie, should forfeit the next round at home (should they get through and be drawn at home). They could offer all sorts of promotions to entice larger crowds. Just my thoughts.

i think it's the freak weather and the time of year playing a big part, yeah. those two are horrible schleps for away fans. not to mention that ticket prices are still way too high and people have much less disposable money than they used to. plus the sunderland - saints game was televised.

boj, your proposal would punish those fans who actually had made the effort more than it'd punish the club owners. so a bit harsh.

boj, your proposal would punish those fans who actually had made the effort more than it'd punish the club owners. so a bit harsh.

But if the clubs knew this was going to happen, they would do something about it, which would probably mean reducing ticket prices, or one adult get two infants for a quid etc to get more in. Hence, those fans who had made the effort would get in cheaper. IMO it wouldn't be too hard to get 50% attendance.

It was a "top of the head" idea to spark debate but if not that, something needs to be done. I'm not having it was down to the weather, as those in attendance, both home and away fans made it. I honestly think it's down to pricing, so the clubs should do more so the games are played in front of the maximum possible.

Sunderland tickets were 15 quid and 5 quid; I can't see the club can do much else.

As someone pointed out, perhaps a few people are saving up for the (relatively expensive) trip to Wembley, and something had to give.

Cardiff? Hit by floods weren't they?

Sunderland tickets were 15 quid and 5 quid; I can't see the club can do much else.

As someone pointed out, perhaps a few people are saving up for the (relatively expensive) trip to Wembley, and something had to give.

Cardiff? Hit by floods weren't they?

The attendance at Sunderland was under 17,000 and in a 49,000 capacity stadium, that's a poor attendance.

At the Cardiff game, I think about 1,200 Wigan fans made the journey, so it couldn't have been that bad. I think the floods in the Cardiff area were last month. In terms of % I think they were over half full but it still looked empty and lacked atmosphere.

Money doesn't grow on trees you know. A league cup final ticket, transport, expenses, it all adds up and many people in an area not known for its wealth will have had to cherry pick.

As for Cardiff, I think it's because they just crap.

Edited by Chicog

Money doesn't grow on trees you know. A league cup final ticket, transport, expenses, it all adds up and many people in an area not known for its wealth will have had to cherry pick.

I wouldn't consider Manchester to be that much more affluent than the Sunderland area and we are going to the very same Cup Final.

They could have dished out thousands of tickets to the youngsers in the area. These are just top of my head ideas but they could have given away 2 free junior tickets with every adult ticket or selling them to local schools for a quid and the teachers go free. That has to be much better than having a stadium almost 2/3 empty.

Agree about the Cardiff bit though!!

I wouldn't consider Manchester to be that much more affluent than the Sunderland area and we are going to the very same Cup Final.

Yes, but a lot of them are only coming from Basildon.

biggrin.png

I agree that the attendance of around 16,000 at Sunderland for their 5th round FA Cup tie with Southampton, even if it was on TV and the weather was not great, was pitiful. There were 42,000 at the same stadium a week earlier to watch them lose at home to Hull in the Premier League.

People in Sunderland talk about the cost of football being more than it was, and for sure people have had plenty of disappointment to put up with for decades and decades. A quick google will show you that Sunderland consistently have the 6th or 7th highest average attendances in the country, which isn't bad for a crap football team from a chilly windswept city of 200,000 next to the North Sea.

Everyone used to love a good cup run, but we seem to have been spoiled this season with cup victories to the point where cup fixtures just don't draw people to games in the volume they should. Even the Capital One Cup semi-final first leg against Man United only pulled in 31,000.

It just goes to show that we have our glory hunters too. Approximately 80,000 'fans' applied for the 31,000 tickets made available for the Capital One Cup final against Man City next month. Doubtless more than 16,000 will also apply for tickets if Sunderland reach the semi-finals of the FA Cup. There are those who wouldn't fork out 15 quid for the Southampton game but have admitted to stumping up 350 quid upwards for a Wembley ticket.

The Premier League seems to trump all success in the cup competitions - and we know it's all down to the money and the potential collapse of the club if they get relegated. I am sure many people would rather see their team compete season after season in the Premier League than take a dip into the second tier with a trophy to fill their cabinet.

It's nice to be in a final, and even though we're up against it to beat Man City, I think we have an outside chance of winning the Capital One Cup. If not, then I hope we have a crack at getting to the FA Cup final too. Would I take relegation and a cup win. Absolutely! You don't win anything for finishing 17th in a league.

If the worst comes to the worst and we lose to Man City and get relegated, then I'll still feel some pleasure at having done the double over the Geordies up the road and be excited about winning some games in the Championship next season.

Ha'way the lads! All 16,000 of them!!

As for boosting the popularity of the FA Cup, and perhaps the attendances at Carling One Cup games too, I think free admission for all kids would help boost many attendances and in turn hook some of them into going regularly in the future. I'm sure players would rather perform in front of near full stadiums too.

Edited by Sunderland
  • Like 2

It's nice to be in a final, and even though we're up against it to beat Man City, I think we have an outside chance of winning the Capital One Cup. If not, then I hope we have a crack at getting to the FA Cup final too. Would I take relegation and a cup win. Absolutely!

That's quite remarkable. Most of the relegation-threatened chairmen seem to be terrified of going down this particular year. I'm not sure what's changed.

The recent Sheff Utd v Nottingham Forrest game saw about 25000 at Bramall Lane (capacity around 32000). It was in effect a kind of local derby.

If, IF, Sheff Wed beat Charlton next Monday night, the quarter final will be played at Bramall lane. Expect it would be sold out.

Come On Wednesday blink.png

post-8817-0-12076100-1392699324_thumb.pn

The recent Sheff Utd v Nottingham Forrest game saw about 25000 at Bramall Lane (capacity around 32000). It was in effect a kind of local derby.

Eh?

clough present against clough past wasn't it? not a derby in any way but i get what he meant.

Eh?

clough present against clough past wasn't it? not a derby in any way but i get what he meant.

Then you truly are a master of lateral thinking.

thumbsup.gif

Eh?

thumbsup.gif

I think it's less than 40 miles from one to t'other, so not too far up the road.

Eh?

thumbsup.gif

friend soihok will have to confirm if i was on the right lines. he might just be really shit at geography.

Sheff U vs Sheff Wed = Derby Match

Notts Forest v Notts Co = Derby Match

Sheff team vs Notts team = not even close to being a Derby match.

Derby vs Anyone = Derby match.

Sheffield United against Wednesday would be a cracking match up. I still remember their FA Cup semi-final at Wembley in 1993. I have a soft spot for Wednesday over United, possibly going back to the time when Wednesday were fun to watch when Waddle and Hirst lit up their team. On the other hand, United had Vinne Jones trying to kick people off the park!

I've never thought of Sheffield Utd/Wed against Forest or Notts County being anything like a derby, but perhaps there is some connection like coal pits or something that links South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire.

I have always thought that Forest's big local rivalry was Derby more than Notts County due to Notts County having been little threat since the early 80s and the two have met very infrequently in the last 25 years. Also, the dated but still memorable Brian Clough connection. The best manager never to have quite managed Sunderland, despite claiming he would have crawled over glass to manage them ... what a daft bugger he was!!

Didn't know that, how long are you going back?

How many people know that Sheffield Wednesday are affectionately known locally as the Pigs?

The Cricket Club was founded in 1820. The Footy didn't start til the 1870's or something.

Bramall Lane used to be Cricket ground. I think you have your wires crossed between United and Wednesday.

Ye of little faith (and knowledge).

The club was a cricket club when it formed in 1820 as The Wednesday Cricket Club headed by Gerald Hamilton of Leigh, Lancashire (named after the day of the week when they played their matches). A meeting on the evening of Wednesday 4 September 1867 at the Adelphi Hotel established a footballing side to keep the team together and fit during the winter months. They played their first match against The Mechanics on 19 October the same year.

I wasn't far off, it was the 1860's.