Do you own a tuk tuk or a sam lor?

krisb

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking clean rig. You got a good deal.

I too have been looking at Tuk Tuks and the prices mentioned are in line. A new one is around $4000 or so. I paid $13,000 for my little Kubota so $4000 for a Tuk Tuk is a good deal for me.

My big concern is getting a Thai license. I can not learn to read or write thai.

I think you will find, a real tuk tuk, as in the ones used in BKK are more like $10 000, for some reason those things are really expansive.

There are electric ones out now, good specs but again prices are almost same as a car

I have the opposite of one of these - the SEL-ENG (?). Basically the back half of a motorbike, front half a 2 wheel pushcart. The steering is done with the bar on the cart! It's GREAT! Not too fast but its a beast for runs to the market and hauling rice or lumber up in isaan. wink.png

PS - I absolutely love it! Perfectly suitable to take water jugs around to refill while human traffic small children. wink.png

(I am joking of course! My niece LOVES to ride in it.)

I forgot to add, it cose less than 30,000 baht. Used frame, new engine and tires. No speedometer (not needed since 45km seems to be top speed). Turning isaan girls heads - priceless! ;)

• Like 1

I too have been looking at Tuk Tuks and the prices mentioned are in line. A new one is around $4000 or so. I paid $13,000 for my little Kubota so $4000 for a Tuk Tuk is a good deal for me.

My big concern is getting a Thai license. I can not learn to read or write thai.

Thai driver license have english option and questionairs are in english multiple choice. 50 questions if i can recall.

This is our TUK-TUK in Nakhon Sawan. Chinese made CHAMP from the local Dealer [see PIC]. Paid 74,000.00 THB with all accessories [canopy'side wall curtains all round , etc] 107 cc semi-auto ... GREAT unit can carry up to 350kg; fold down panels on rear and both sides; I made my own windscreen later. Took it all the way to CHIANG MAI 3 years ago just after purchase. Made my own wooden seats for 6 persons in rear. Great for shopping and the markets. Went everywhere in the flooding 2 years ago and never missed a beat. I think I was the first FARANG to own one in Nakhon Sawan. AND my WIFE [Thai] and family just love it !!! Although they originally thought I was "MAD" [TingTong] brianlg@@iprimus.com.au attachicon.gifNewBikes 004 10x8.jpgattachicon.gifNewBikes 005.jpgattachicon.gifChamp 001.jpgattachicon.gifChamp 004.jpgattachicon.gifChamp 003.jpgattachicon.gifChamp 005.jpgattachicon.gifChampShop 002.jpg

Hey Brian, check out that 3 wheel thing in the shop behind you guys in the pic.

Do you have any details on it or are you able to post a pic of it here for me?

Looks interestingsmile.png

Thai driver license have english option and questionairs are in english multiple choice. 50 questions if i can recall.

Yep tuk tuks you need a license, which an international license would cover.

Sam lors like it seems a few of us havethumbsup.gif you don't need any license. They are farm equipment you could say, for transporting around village farms, but now are also used as Issan taxis, just like the tuk tuks in Bkk (but much cheaper to hire and you won't get taken/abducted to jewellery shops)tongue.png ...but you probably already knew this.thumbsup.gif

Here's the catch...DO NOT have any accidents on them or you will be screwed I dare say.

I usually travel at about 25km/hr max around the village. When we do the rare run into Chumphae, about 30km away, I drive with real care and keep wits about me at a nice safe speed. If my wife's in it she usually smacks me in the head to slow down a bit even though I'm taking it easy, it feels faster sitting in the back of them. I actually feel safer driving this around than the Hilux.

Cool ride, Krisb.

I bet you really pull the chicks with that sleek machine. I'm guessing that is why Mrs. T won't let *me* buy one!

Cheers

T

Yeah I look pretty sexy on it matebiggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

sad.png.... No I don't.

That's is very cool my friend!!!...I am looking for one in my town to buy, but I cannot find any ....

Chumphae have 2 shops selling them. If you really wanted 1 you could get it shipped to you or ride it!

I own one of these, 86000 baht, 150cc

Get pulled over all the time by the cops to ask where I got it from as they wanted to get one for their wife

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This is the real thing,look at the frontfork,this will steer perfect .

The other one looks like it had a big accident ,the front fork almost stands vertical?coffee1.gif

• Like 1

oh dear......down south luckily no, leave it up to the locals who would much prefer a pick up if they had the $$ ,......nah.....biggrin.png , I'm not going even going to get into this "follow isarn style" way of living.... please guys, dont make a fool out of yourselves. Go ahead, blast away....... just arrived here...dont know ziltch

Just arrived,you hawe to learn a lot.make it issan way and you hawe fun and a lot of people like it

Edited by homsiam

These are Chinese utility vehicles, motorcycle front-end and pick-up back-end, sometimes even with a dump bed. They are many of them in use here in the South. Don't confuse them with the Sam Lor in Bangkok or its driver-enclosed variation in Trang--which are more scooter-like and originally had Japanese drive-chains. However, these are fun to drive and quite practical for its cost efficiency and use effectiveness.

I like the look you have created. Years ago, almost every Thai commercial vehicle was decked out in graphics, colors, lights and chrome--similar to some of the outrageous trucks in India.

Errr...Sorry to intrude~ Mine.. I love it Issan way its the way

20140211_100755_zps4cf17a6f.jpg

20140211_100728_zps9c78c8da.jpg

20140211_101000_zpsc04f053a.jpg

20140211_101100_zps9673deb5.jpg

Electric motor : 800w

Battery : 48v 20Ah

Charge once of 5-8hr will travel 40-55km depending on load.

Max load (for this version) : 500kg

Dumpster size : 130cm x 95cm

Max climb : 40°

Max speed full charge (empty, no load) : 50-55kph

Max speed full charge (583kg load including me) : 30-35kph

Distance from home to farm : 830m

Auctioned price i paid on that day : ฿22'000

Delivery : ฿800

Commission : ฿3'000

Made In China.

P.S= That is a big pooch by the way, a 46kg Golden Retriever. The dumpster is not small.

Edited by homsiam
  • Like 1

Errr...Sorry to intrude~ Mine..

20140211_100755_zps4cf17a6f.jpg

20140211_100728_zps9c78c8da.jpg

20140211_101000_zpsc04f053a.jpg

20140211_101100_zps9673deb5.jpg

Electric motor : 800w

Battery : 48v 20Ah

Charge once of 5-8hr will travel 40-55km depending on load.

Max load (for this version) : 500kg

Dumpster size : 130cm x 95cm

Max climb : 40°

Max speed full charge (empty, no load) : 50-55kph

Max speed full charge (583kg load including me) : 30-35kph

Distance from home to farm : 830m

Auctioned price i paid on that day : ฿22'000

Delivery : ฿800

Commission : ฿3'000

Made In China.

P.S= That is a big pooch by the way, a 46kg Golden Retriever. The dumpster is not small.

• Like 1

I am jealous..... You could park that in any parking lane and never get a citation.

The bed is really the kicker.....Nice and simple, but very useful and cost effective.

Can I order one without a retriever..or is that standard option?

I assumed that the dog was the built-in security-system, comes with the vehicle ? rolleyes.gif

Whenever Mrs R says she wants her own 'wheels', I offer to buy her a tuk-tuk, she hasn't taken me up on the offer. tongue.png

I am jealous..... You could park that in any parking lane and never get a citation.

The bed is really the kicker.....Nice and simple, but very useful and cost effective.

Can I order one without a retriever..or is that standard option?

I assumed that the dog was the built-in security-system, comes with the vehicle ? rolleyes.gif

Whenever Mrs R says she wants her own 'wheels', I offer to buy her a tuk-tuk, she hasn't taken me up on the offer. tongue.png

You just offer to take her for a ride in the new tuk tuk you just bought!laugh.png

• Like 1

Classy looking machine KB thumbsup.gif

Do you consider this safer than a standard bike?

I'm surprised it was only 50,000 Baht. Seems quite the bargain

Perhaps safer, you feel like you have a bit more around you but it's not smooth like the Hondas or decent bikes are. Doesn't take off like my Clik i does either. Not quality parts, mainly unknown Chinese parts but it's now got a few k's on it and no problems yet.

Does it have the standard Isaan screeching metal-on-metal brake drums?

There vill not get a problem for you to get a drivinglisence, Just go to the locall office fore drivinglisence and they make it four you,If you can speak some thai ok but you put upp the money they will help you,If i not forgett its about 500b,That what i pay last year here in issanxsorry.gif.pagespeed.ic.U0q5B6ouVF.webp my english

Edited by homsiam