tesco lotus- lotus tesco

salavan

I will awake all night contemplating your meaningful question.

Surely, the correct answer will make my stay in Thailand a much richer and rewarding experience.

Yes Mods ... I know ... I'll get my coat.

... coffee1.gif

Well it is yet another source of misunderstanding for us people who don't have a Thai spouse, like yourself, spoiled that you are not to have to struggle daily with the lingo

Edited by Kitsune

Surely, the correct answer will make my stay in Thailand a much richer and rewarding experience.

... coffee1.gif

EDITED ...

Why do we call a Mercedes Benz by the name Mercedes or Mercs ... when the Thais call it a Benz?

We call Bang Bank Notes 'Notes' ... but the Thais do not.

Weighty questions indeed ... facepalm.gif

Grabbing my Hat as well ... biggrin.png

my dear david did anyone ever tell you that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but still quite funny

• Like 2

... coffee1.gif

Well it is yet another source of misunderstanding for us people who don't have a Thai spouse, like yourself, spoiled that you are not to have to struggle daily with the lingo

Oh Miss Kitsune, thou does presume too much.

I am a single man, fancy and free.

No wedding band on me ... biggrin.png

Since you bought up the subject of relationships ... maybe an opportunity to discuss the relative merits if the TESCO LOTUS naming thingie with the OP over a ... coffee1.gif

... coffee1.gif

Oh Miss Kitsune, thou does presume too much.

I am a single man, fancy and free.

No wedding band on me ... biggrin.png

Since you bought up the subject of relationships ... maybe an opportunity to discuss the relative merits if the TESCO LOTUS naming thingie with the OP over a ... coffee1.gif

What ??

What happened to shrimp farm girl ?

Am I mistaken?

• Like 1

I call it lotus too.. I am not Thai.. biggrin.png But we never had a Tesco where i came from and Lotus just sounds better.

No, the original store was Lotus before Tesco came to the picture. Thais get used to call Lotus and never bother to call it otherwise. It is still Lotus anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

I call it lotus too.. I am not Thai.. biggrin.png But we never had a Tesco where i came from and Lotus just sounds better.

No, the original store was Lotus before Tesco came to the picture. Thais get used to call Lotus and never bother to call it otherwise. It is still Lotus anyway.

Yep ... that's what miss shrimp girl calls it in conversation with other Thais.

though, we have a standing saying of 'Let's go TESCO' ... which means usually, let's leave the Farm now..

Sort of like saying ...

Let's blow Joe

Let's make like a Baby and head out.

etc etc ...

• Like 1

though, we have a standing saying of 'Let's go TESCO' ... which means usually, let's leave the Farm now..

Sort of like saying ...

Let's blow Joe

etc etc ...

So Miss Shrimp is still in the picture but you consider yourself as a "single man fancy and free" and invite other women out ?

That is

• Like 1

Sort of like saying ...

Let's blow Joe

etc etc ...

So Miss Shrimp is still in the picture but you consider yourself as a "single man fancy and free" and you openly ask other women out ?

That is

In fact they call it Lotat instead of lotus, and as far as I know it is 100% British owned.

Not 100% British owned by a long chalk!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco_Lotus

Where in your link does it say anything about the share structure of Tesco - Lotus ?

Ek-Chai distribution is also owned by Tesco.

Yes, their partnership with CP ended some years ago, Tesco bought their shares believe now 100%.

I actually wondered about that too

I figured Tesco, being difficult to pronounce : teSco, the S in the middle is hard for Thais, they say Tetko

Or it could just be a translation thing

I also wonder why farangs refer to the largest city in Thailand as Bangkok or, for the really clever, as Krung Thep, Why not the proper name:

"Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit."

http://www.omg-facts.com/History/The-real-name-of-Bangkok-is-the-longest/51705

Maybe the same reason persons of a certain nationality speak of the "telly" or "tummy" or "wind."

Spelling and pronouncing television, stomach or abdomen, and flatulence are too challenging.

Edited by Suradit69

rotut

lo-TUTT

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

You are right , there are two consonnants , so it's lo-tutt( separation between the two syllabes )

above, I said "lotat" and "seejae ", because english is not my language, so I am not very at ease with english phonetics ( in French, we would say " lo-tat" for Lotus ( thai way ) and " si-tyê " for CJ ( thai way ) express

Edited by Aforek

Actually, back in my single days ... I almost missed a date with a nice Lassie.

After arranging to meet her at the BTS ... she said she was there, but it was a busy station, and for the life of me ... couldn't spot her.

A phone call ensued ... she said she was at the '7' ... I said that's nice ... but we agreed to '7.30'.

Mai, Mai ... seeeveeen ...

oh ... what is that?

Long story short ... found her eventually.

post-104736-0-77215400-1392610029_thumb.

For those interested, twas BMFG (before MFG) ... wub.png

Current conversation ... (to MFG) ... yes honey ... washing those diapers now.

No honey ... I not play Thai Visa ... rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Actually, back in my single days ... I almost missed a date with a nice Lassie.

After arranging to meet her at the BTS ... she said she was there, but it was a busy station, and for the life of me ... couldn't spot her.

A phone call ensued ... she said she was at the '7' ... I said that's nice ... but we agreed to '7.30'.

Mai, Mai ... seeeveeen ...

oh ... what is that?

Long story short ... found her eventually.

attachicon.gifPB150282 LR.JPG

For those interested, twas BMFG (before MFG) ... wub.png

Current conversation ... (to MFG) ... yes honey ... washing those diapers now.

No honey ... I not play Thai Visa ... rolleyes.gif

So you left the farm ???

Where do you live now ?