tesco lotus- lotus tesco

salavan

A number of years back Tesco bought the supermarket chain Lotus out. It also happens the other way around. Big C bought out the French supermarket group in Thailand, Carfore also a Thai company has bought out Makro in Thailand which was part of the huge cash and carry Dutch chain.

Originally there was Lotus Supercentre started by CP Group in 1994, one of the first being at Seacon Square. That is why Thais often refer to the stores as Lotus for short. Tesco entered the market later on, taking a stake in Lotus in 1998 taking advantage of the serious financial difficulties experienced in Thailand due to the Asian financial Crisis. The name was changed to Tesco Lotus but CP Group continued to operate Lotus Supercentres in other Countries including China. However, due to operating problems in China they sold most of their remaining stake in Tesco Lotus to Tesco in 2003.

A number of years back Tesco bought the supermarket chain Lotus out. It also happens the other way around. Big C bought out the French supermarket group in Thailand, Carfore also a Thai company has bought out Makro in Thailand which was part of the huge cash and carry Dutch chain.

cheesy.gif

CaRREFOUR was born in France in the 60's created by the very French Marcel Fournier and it means crossroad/ roundabout

I call it lotus too.. I am not Thai.. biggrin.png But we never had a Tesco where i came from and Lotus just sounds better.

No, the original store was Lotus before Tesco came to the picture. Thais get used to call Lotus and never bother to call it otherwise. It is still Lotus anyway.

Yep ... that's what miss shrimp girl calls it in conversation with other Thais.

though, we have a standing saying of 'Let's go TESCO' ... which means usually, let's leave the Farm now..

Sort of like saying ...

Let's blow Joe

Let's make like a Baby and head out.

etc etc ...

Haha, we say the same 'let's go Tesco' thing also.

Funny dat.biggrin.png

• Like 1

I will awake all night contemplating your meaningful question.

Surely, the correct answer will make my stay in Thailand a much richer and rewarding experience.

Yes Mods ... I know ... I'll get my coat.

... coffee1.gif

Well it is yet another source of misunderstanding for us people who don't have a Thai spouse, like yourself, spoiled that you are not to have to struggle daily with the lingo

Oh Miss Kitsune, thou does presume too much.

I am a single man, fancy and free.

No wedding band on me ... biggrin.png

Since you bought up the subject of relationships ... maybe an opportunity to discuss the relative merits if the TESCO LOTUS naming thingie with the OP over a ... coffee1.gif

What ??

What happened to shrimp farm girl ?

Am I mistaken?

C'mon, where's the below the belt emmoticon?

(partners are out of bounds big time)

Edited by krisb

I actually wondered about that too

I figured Tesco, being difficult to pronounce : teSco, the S in the middle is hard for Thais, they say Tetko

Or it could just be a translation thing

I also wonder why farangs refer to the largest city in Thailand as Bangkok or, for the really clever, as Krung Thep, Why not the proper name:

"Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit."

http://www.omg-facts.com/History/The-real-name-of-Bangkok-is-the-longest/51705

Maybe the same reason persons of a certain nationality speak of the "telly" or "tummy" or "wind."

Spelling and pronouncing television, stomach or abdomen, and flatulence are too challenging.

Oh Miss Kitsune, thou does presume too much.

I am a single man, fancy and free.

No wedding band on me ... biggrin.png

Since you bought up the subject of relationships ... maybe an opportunity to discuss the relative merits if the TESCO LOTUS naming thingie with the OP over a ... coffee1.gif

What ??

What happened to shrimp farm girl ?

Am I mistaken?

C'mon, where's the below the belt emmoticon?

(partners are out of bounds big time)

What are you saying exactly? sorry not very clear

Apologies for being a retail anorak ....

CP set up Lotus Hypermarkets in the 1990's using some ex Walmart directors and had two Lotus Hypermarkets in central Bangkok - they were popular and known as "Lotat".

They sold a controlling stake to Tesco in 1997 and Tesco has steadily increased it's shareholding over the years.

CP continue to run Lotus Hypermarkets in China.

As Lotus was already an established brand in Bangkok the name was retained to create Tesco-Lotus.

The 'Lotat' name stuck as it was easier to say for Thais than Tesco.

Originally there was Lotus Supercentre started by CP Group in 1994, one of the first being at Seacon Square. That is why Thais often refer to the stores as Lotus for short. Tesco entered the market later on, taking a stake in Lotus in 1998 taking advantage of the serious financial difficulties experienced in Thailand due to the Asian financial Crisis. The name was changed to Tesco Lotus but CP Group continued to operate Lotus Supercentres in other Countries including China. However, due to operating problems in China they sold most of their remaining stake in Tesco Lotus to Tesco in 2003.

Ah - just spotted that you already came up with the correct answer before I posted.

That makes two retail anoraks on TV biggrin.png

Because Lotus has been around in Thailand longer than Tesco, which is why Tesco bought half of Lotus to enter the Thai market.

*beaten to it by some much bigger retail anoraks :D

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

A number of years back Tesco bought the supermarket chain Lotus out. It also happens the other way around. Big C bought out the French supermarket group in Thailand, Carrefour. Also a Thai company has bought out Makro in Thailand which was part of the huge cash and carry Dutch chain.

cheesy.gif

CaRREFOUR was born in France in the 60's created by the very French Marcel Fournier and it means crossroad/ roundabout

I think there needs to be a full stop. I fixed his post for you.