Thailand's future prime minister plays it coy

webfact

Isn't this the same one who stated she didn't believe in "one person, one vote"?

Interesting view if she wants to be PM someday - hope she grows out of it.

I can understand her perspective. For democracy to work there has to be a reasonably educated and informed population.

The kind of people who won't sell their vote, or vote for someone who is clearly not interested in the needs of the people, with policies which will totally destroy the economy.

This is clearly not the case in Thailand and if you give every adult a vote, you may as well let children vote too because they are probably just as educated and possibly as informed.

Education is needed on democracy before it can be implemented effectively.

Her comment about Issan is harsh but true, and sometimes the truth hurts. Maybe there is hope after all.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This sort of reasoning was once (shamefully) used in the UK to suppress supposed "inferior women" (who could not think for themselves), when women were not allowed to vote fully until 1928 (resisted by the "superior" Men).

From 1918-1928, women could vote if they were 30 years old and if they met "property qualifications" or if they were graduates of UK universities.

In 1928, when all adult women were allowed to vote (without nonsensical age restrictions nor "property qualifications" nor educational hurdles), was the UK thrown into chaos?

Similarly, in South Africa, Blacks were not able to vote until 1994 (resisted by the "superior" Whites). After that, it can be argued that S.A. suffered in some areas, but universal equality for all of its citizens was achieved.

And the poor blacks (the majority) finally got the attention that they deserved from their representatives.

Not letting women (resisted by the "superior" Men) or Blacks (resisted by the "superior" Whites) or poor Thai farmers (resisted by the "superior" HiSo Elites) participate in Democracy is patently morally wrong, wrong, wrong.

Tenuous connections. The people you mention fought for their votes, deserved them, and didn't abuse or sell them once they had them.

Anyway, what's your big idea to get Thailand out of this mess?

Bring Thaksin back, he'd surely eradicate poverty in 6 months, and we'd all live happily ever after?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this the same one who stated she didn't believe in "one person, one vote"?

I can understand her perspective. For democracy to work there has to be a reasonably educated and informed population.

The kind of people who won't sell their vote, or vote for someone who is clearly not interested in the needs of the people, with policies which will totally destroy the economy.

This is clearly not the case in Thailand and if you give every adult a vote, you may as well let children vote too because they are probably just as educated and possibly as informed.

Her comment about Issan is harsh but true, and sometimes the truth hurts. Maybe there is hope after all.

This sort of reasoning was once (shamefully) used in the UK to suppress supposed "inferior women" (who could not think for themselves), when women were not allowed to vote fully until 1928 (resisted by the "superior" Men).

From 1918-1928, women could vote if they were 30 years old and if they met "property qualifications" or if they were graduates of UK universities.

In 1928, when all adult women were allowed to vote (without nonsensical age restrictions nor "property qualifications" nor educational hurdles), was the UK thrown into chaos?

Similarly, in South Africa, Blacks were not able to vote until 1994 (resisted by the "superior" Whites). After that, it can be argued that S.A. suffered in some areas, but universal equality for all of its citizens was achieved.

And the poor blacks (the majority) finally got the attention that they deserved from their representatives.

Not letting women (resisted by the "superior" Men) or Blacks (resisted by the "superior" Whites) or poor Thai farmers (resisted by the "superior" HiSo Elites) participate in Democracy is patently morally wrong, wrong, wrong.

Tenuous connections. The people you mention fought for their votes, deserved them, and didn't abuse or sell them once they had them.

Bring Thaksin back, he'd surely eradicate poverty in 6 months, and we'd all live happily ever after?

"didn't abuse or sell them once they had them" Not sure about that in S.A. - corruption is rife, and the country has taken a few steps backwards too in terms of reverse-discrimination and crime. Luckily, it seems that vote-buying is on the decline in TH from what I've read.

"what's your big idea to get Thailand out of this mess?" I'm afraid that I have not been in TH long enough to offer solutions

"Bring Thaksin back" No, I believe that all wrong-doers should be punished to the full extent of the local laws.

I look at the situation from an external perspective, and I do favour democracy on principle. But that's just the way my moral compass works ... others may be able to justify a distorted.version of democracy for TH to suit the perceived local conditions(?).

In Western countries, if you lose the elections, you modify your party's platform to better appeal to the voters, not take away the rights of a sizeable section of the voters.

i think ms. chitpas will be the next prime minister we have in thailand and the best forever!

she not corrupt like the thaksin family and come from good family. she care about the people in bangkok.

is so important!

"she care about the people in bangkok"

She might be the next PM, she might be "the best forever", but Bangkok =/= Thailand, so she'd better'd care about all Thais, for your sake.

• Like 1

This takes delusional to a whole new level. Stunning arrogance. She is better suited to her previous role: handing out free calendars featuring nude women promoting Singha beer. An RP accent does not substitute for a brain

Well what you say may be true.

The really sad part about the whole thing is she is more qualified than any one in the PTP.

i think ms. chitpas will be the next prime minister we have in thailand and the best forever!

she not corrupt like the thaksin family and come from good family. she care about the people in bangkok.

is so important!

She might be the next PM, she might be "the best forever", but Bangkok =/= Thailand, so she'd better'd care about all Thais, for your sake.

you dont understand the thai people i think you better not talk !!

we dont care about the people in the isaan because this people dont care about bangkok too.

they have not the money. they are poor and sell the vote to thaksin every year.

this is not fair you dont understand?

because we have this problem because the people in isaan dont know how vote and then thaksin can win again and again.

we have to make the reform and then we can have the prime minister who care about thailand and bangkok and not only about isaan.

this people are not educate enough to vote!!

It's like having your cake and eating it can't happen in the foreseeable future.

To have a democracy every one should have a vote. coffee1.gif

To make it a viable democracy every one should know what it is all about.sad.png

is so important!

we dont care about the people in the isaan because this people dont care about bangkok too.

because we have this problem because the people in isaan dont know how vote and then thaksin can win again and again.

we have to make the reform and then we can have the prime minister who care about thailand and bangkok and not only about isaan.

You can see from this post why the people in Thailand will always be protesting because of remarks like this.

• Like 1

is so important!

ponchi,

I respect your views - I am glad that a Thai newbie is able to give everyone in this forum a good insight into how the Suthep supporters think.

You write English very well, and I understand a lot more now about how the educated Bangkok people think - so thank you for that.

I have to admit I am surprised by some of your opinions, but you know a lot more about Thais than me!

Please continue to participate in ThaiVisa - there are too many Westerners and too few Thais here.

is so important!

And some clearly not educated enough to post here as well.

Your attitude is a disgrace towards your fellow country folk.

• Like 2

No.

Ms Chitpas said 2 things of relevance:

1) "many Thais lack a true understanding of democracy, especially in the rural areas"

2) "Were not taking away democracy. We just need some time to reform the country before we can move on to democracy"

Thank you for proving the point.

Neither of your undocumented quotes said she didn't believe in "one person, one vote."

No.

1) "many Thais lack a “true understanding” of democracy, especially in the rural areas"

2) "We’re not taking away democracy. We just need some time to reform the country before we can move on to democracy"

because this is the true.

the poor people always sell the vote to thaksin and this is hurt thailand very much.

they dont care about the education like the people in bangkok.

we have to reform this people because is not like us and teach how true democracy is work.

Everyone should now know that the PDRC choice (i.e. fake people's committee) would be a simple rubber stamp mouth piece like Mark was for the army appointed PM of the Suthep government.

Like PTP and YL being the rubber stamp and window dressing for the big boss?

Yes That is my point - not support for PT - your problem is your color blind and only see what you want to see and only hear what you want to hear - you can't think outside the box or use the option of drawing outside the lines because your one of the on your knees for Suthep sausage at all cost - only three type support the fascist Suthep

A. Institutionalized nitwits

B. Fad like chan site followers.

C. and people with an invested outcome just like many PT supporters.

Stop screaming corruption and try getting a party together that does something else - use what little Democracy there is in Thailand - stop building a single party dictatorship just for another party like PT - that is not going to help one bit - but if you likes 2010 keep going this way because 2016 will be the real deal.

Can I suggest you keep your sexual innuendos and insults to yourself. You know nothing of me but insulting other posters is against forum rules. You might ask someone to read them and explain them simply to you if they are too hard for you to understand.

You state as fact that everyone should know what you think or have been told to think about the protesters. Then you react by issuing defamatory insults, and alluding to threats of serious violence should your party of choice not be allowed to continue acting in the manner they chose.

You yes You introduced corruption by stating the protesters are corrupt and react vehemently when the same comment is applied to PTP. Then you drift into suggesting PT might actually be a single party dictatorship.

2016 - <deleted> are you on about?

Well, thanks for your terrific out of the box creative thinking which you articulate so wonderfully in your post.

Notice I haven't made any inappropriate reference to sexual practices - that would be like kicking a wounded spaniel.

• Like 1

is so important!

Brilliant parody of the so called "educate" people that can't string a coherent sentence together.You had me fooled for a moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

No.

1) "many Thais lack a true understanding of democracy, especially in the rural areas"

2) "Were not taking away democracy. We just need some time to reform the country before we can move on to democracy"

Well I don't believe her, and I would like very much if they would all clarify exactly everything they want to reform.

Of course Jitrapas will become a much better female leader than Yingluck. At least she won't mistake 'Sidney' as a country, or 'Italy' as a city. But of course in many parts of Thailand, money can buy everything that's whyThais are left with this most stupid, inept leader in the history of Thailand.

Brilliant parody

You had me fooled for a moment.

Funny enough, there's no shortage of the more naive who take the imposter at face value and actually believe the fake schtick is genuine.

Case in point.

Age and citizenship are the only factors in deciding who has a vote not education, it is for the very reason you are suggesting that education must never become a factor of the right to a voice and the vote... It is a check and balance against people with terrible ideals and truly awful illusions of grandeur like you

Bangkok is a tiny part of the population, you are speaking in ignorance and showing not one ounce of understanding of the fundamentals of the democratic system, within a population where all are eligible, by age, as a Thai, can vote and are considered equal.

You are a disgrace to your country if you think that is not their right regardless of location sex or education.

Edited by Davidhere

Of course Jitrapas will become a much better female leader than Yingluck. At least she won't mistake 'Sidney' as a country, or 'Italy' as a city. But of course in many parts of Thailand, money can buy everything that's whyThais are left with this most stupid, inept leader in the history of Thailand.

I am struggling to remember the ones that weren't largely inept.

One would hope that the future Thai PM isn't like some of the others that have graced the corridors of power in Thailand , however I would like to point out that there was a Group out of the UK called the "Clash" , so you have not progress as far as you think , still copying other peoples idea's , the only thing you haven't copied and should is the Westminster/ U.S./ Euro type of democracy, go copy that, now that's a dream everyone wants.clap2.gif

A name Clash there - the original as ever were much better .

Is Sidney near Cranberra ?

Brilliant parody

You had me fooled for a moment.

Funny enough, there's no shortage of the more naive who take the imposter at face value and actually believe the fake schtick is genuine.

I have to come to the defence of "ponchi" here.

What makes you think that "ponchi" is a fake? Instead of a "parody" (without any Smileyswhistling.gif ), I see a consistent pattern not at all indicative of a Westerner pulling our legs.

Maybe you don't know how some Thais think, and want to re-invent them in your eyes.

Her posts in other threads include

1) because you make business here but dont understand the thai people. we dont think the same like europe or america. we never think like this. we have the different culture like you. we dont want the government like in your country. we want the corruption finished. look how corrupt is my country now with thaksin. i never have this. when i am young we never have the corrupt politics like now! (Thai rice farmers seek sympathy from tourists at Suvarnabhumi Airport)

2) because you take so much money from the thai people already but do not understand the poroblems !! my brother he work together with kamnan thep every day and we do not like how the farang talk about the thai people outside thailand. i think it no respect for our culture. when we have the new prime minister in thailand i think many thing will change for you !! (Thai rice farmers seek sympathy from tourists at Suvarnabhumi Airport)

3) i think you very surprise soon. my family work every day at the protest and you know only half the plan!! (Thai rice farmers seek sympathy from tourists at Suvarnabhumi Airport)

4) it belong to the people not the government and we take back! tomorrow we fight for my country with kamnan thep by the side. he not scare like thaksin who run away to dubai. he fight for the country and the people. (Defiant Thai protesters return to Government House)

5) when i look the BBC or CNN i am very sad about how the falang talk about my country. they do not understand the problem we have here. i think better to shut up and let the thai people fix the thaksin problem! (Foreign media strive to avoid simplistic portrayal of Thai woes)

I think Farangs should be careful and not make false allegations about "ponchi", because "my family work every day at the protest" and "my brother he work together with kamnan thep every day and we do not like how the farang talk", so ponchi has connections in high places.

As a poster, "ponchi" is entitled to her unfiltered opinions without others accusing her of being an impostor and a fake.

is so important!

Brilliant parody of the so called "educate" people that can't string a coherent sentence together.You had me fooled for a moment.

I must admit, his Tinglish is pretty spot on. We can only ask him to come and post in Thai I guess....

I must admit, his Tinglish is pretty spot on. We can only ask him to come and post in Thai I guess....

English that the "educate" people seem to have a patent on.No it must be a parody, and a brilliant one at that.

Agreed it's spot on.I've also now had a look at the other posts highlighted by tx22cb.The standard of parody remains superb throughout essentially coming out with sentiments that are very common in Bangkok but managing to present them in a splendid package of stupidity and unpleasantness, ie without even a pretence of moral rectitude - all expressed in a horrible mangled version of English so common among the "educate" people.It must be a parody.