Thai rice farmers seek sympathy from tourists at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

i think you very surprise soon.

my family work every day at the protest and you know only half the plan!!

Let me guess, from reading your drivel, people from Isaan will be forced to wear an armband with a buffalo on it, and Farangs will be eradicated from Thailand? Thankfully The SRTs train network isn't too good.

Seriously, it's the extremists like you on either side of the fence that are contributing to the awful division in this country. The country needs a good clean out of its politicians , police and army to start making some proper progress.

Taking the vote away, will cause more division. I do agree in principle that there needs to be reform before the next election as at present it is a total farce.

Edited by mrtoad

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, well,... I don't really know what to say,... whether I should laugh or should I cry,...

... when rice farmers go that far to such International tourism areas. That's the first time I've ever heard such thing.

All I can say is that soon there will be a discussion of mixed opinions here...

i would tell them to set up camp at the pm's house or whoever else was on the board of directors

when the billions of baht in rice money got "lost"

harrasing tourists just off the plane is a joke ,i hope nobody gives them anything because if they do

its just puttng a band aid over a bullet hole.......

If the farmers wish to dun people for money, instead of begging from

astounded tourists, I would think a better idea would be to find out who

has the 400 billion baht that is missing ( Thaksin and fellow elites),

and go get their money from them..... Is that an over application of farang logic ?

who just bought land for 280 million when the land department was shut down by pdrc?????? The 400 billion was there before the rice scheme .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

These folks got what they voted for. 'Has been happening in many other (now broke) countries as well for quite some time now - where the lesson still remains to be learned. Next time, every time, think about the long-term national interest rather than your own short-term wants & desires before you cast your ballot.

• Like 2

This is where its all taken out of proportion,poor farmers dont have chanote land therefore could not go into the pledging scheme.

Its the middle class farmer who,i say who should have a bit of business knowledge having entered this scheme.

Now if you run a mediocre business,you should still have funds for the next couple of years to see you through if paid or not for a certain amount of time.

If you dont,you should sell your chanote land and get out of business.One of the problems with the thais is they dont like to sell assets if there struggling.

I'm sure there will be farmers hurting,but the percentage will be small.

Usually the poor farmer without land entrusts his rice with a relative or friend who has a chanote for his rice fields and so in a round about manner is also "in the scheme"

Thats not how its works,otherwise who's to blame.

That's how it works where i live, the missus has taken on her mothers rice as her own and i know many who have done the same,worked a treat last year.. I don't understand the bit about blame....for what?

• Like 1

Seriously? Don't they have any shame at all?

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I know you're not referring to the farmers!!! All money gone and no food. No prospect of making money in the near future. A family to try to care for. A person would do what?

Great advertising campaign for tourists to come to Thailand- having panhandlers waiting outside the arrivals gate asking for money. I have sympathy for the farmers who got shafted by the government and are now in bad financial positions but someone from TAT ought to look at this and realize this is not the kind of advertising that looks good for tourists thinking of coming here on vacation.

As long as their legitimate,i dont have a problem with that.

When figures are being altered which makes it hard on the overall log keeping of the project.

Who knows where they stand from bottom to top,this will take a long time to sort out.

There are some utter ar**oles on this forum who've probably gleaned their knowledge from the TV in the bar. These people graft hard for their money upto twelve hours a day why shouldn't they make their case known to everyone and to the poster who said they should get another job if the government's not paying them why?? they've got a job and they need THEIR money that they've grafted for to start working again.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Um, whilst I agree with the thrust of your post, I do remember watching a doc which said they work around 4 to 5 hours per day. Still back breaking work though. Bit like the Burmese here on Phuket building sites.

Sorry but I've lived in a rice village for nine years on a normal day they'll start 7.00-8.00 am and finish 4.00-5.00 pm unless it's harvesting time then they'll work till the jobs done.

Let the ex-MPs and regime cabinet members from Pheu Thai open up their pantries and share with all these farmers they've impoverished. Invite TS to come home and man a soup kitchen (and THEN serve his time, making sure his prison diet consists of nothing besides the stored, rotting rice and paddy water...).

When figures are being altered which makes it hard on the overall log keeping of the project.

Who knows where they stand from bottom to top,this will take a long time to sort out.

There are some utter ar**oles on this forum who've probably gleaned their knowledge from the TV in the bar. These people graft hard for their money upto twelve hours a day why shouldn't they make their case known to everyone and to the poster who said they should get another job if the government's not paying them why?? they've got a job and they need THEIR money that they've grafted for to start working again.

Um, whilst I agree with the thrust of your post, I do remember watching a doc which said they work around 4 to 5 hours per day. Still back breaking work though. Bit like the Burmese here on Phuket building sites.

Sorry but I've lived in a rice village for nine years on a normal day they'll start 7.00-8.00 am and finish 4.00-5.00 pm unless it's harvesting time then they'll work till the jobs done.

Sorry, but the rice village that I've previously lived in can only produce 1 harvest annually . Planting and harvesting comprises a combined maximum of 3-4 months labour. These are the REAL people who are suffering , not those who'se income benefits from 3/4 crops annually .

Typically these folk will seek supplementary work as labourers for the quiet months, whilst the women folk will generally spend all day sitting around cooking and eating.

Sorry, but the rice village that I've previously lived in can only produce 1 harvest annually . Planting and harvesting comprises a combined maximum of 3-4 months labour. These are the REAL people who are suffering , not those who'se income benefits from 3/4 crops annually .

Typically these folk will seek supplementary work as labourers for the quiet months, whilst the women folk will generally spend all day sitting around cooking and eating.

The village I live In has only one crop per year and nearly everyone has not been paid. One of our friends has two houses (and I don't mean mansion style) and she has had to sell one because she's come to the end of her credit line it's also coming around to time to pay the muen lan loan from last year (the loan farmers can take out through the village to help pay to start the new crop) and people don't have the money to pay back.

Having only one crop per year makes it even more urgent as this is mainly the money they depend on to last them throughout the year till the next season.

• Like 2

tourists are supposed to care ? even we longstay tourists can do nothing, sorry, are not allowed to do nothing in the first place, nor do we have an official voice...

what is next, hotels comming for donations ?

• Like 1

The village I live In has only one crop per year and nearly everyone has not been paid. One of our friends has two houses (and I don't mean mansion style) and she has had to sell one because she's come to the end of her credit line it's also coming around to time to pay the muen lan loan from last year (the loan farmers can take out through the village to help pay to start the new crop) and people don't have the money to pay back.

Having only one crop per year makes it even more urgent as this is mainly the money they depend on to last them throughout the year till the next season.

This is not good.

May i ask what province and is her land chanote.

I agree that most Farang don't understand the problem and also that is was a good idea to go to the airport, however your comment thatfarang should pay the rice farmer this I don't understand, why should we pay?

We did not cause the problem.

The govt caused this problem, they need to sell the rice and pay the farmers.

The USA and other countries already give Thailand allot of money each year for programs.

because you take so much money from the thai people already but do not understand the poroblems !!

my brother he work together with kamnan thep every day and we do not like how the farang talk about the thai people outside thailand.

i think it no respect for our culture.

when we have the new prime minister in thailand i think many thing will change for you !!

Farang takes money from Thailand? What money? Farang bring money into Thailand. If Thailand was not exporting products to farang countries and farang money would not be coming to Thailand. If farang did not come to Thailand, Thailand would not have that money. I'm sorry to say but you have no idea how much money Thailand gets from Farangs coming to visit Thailand, investing and building companies creating jobs and donations. Now I'm thinking you are a troll!

because you make business here but dont understand the thai people.

we dont think the same like europe or america. we never think like this. we have the different culture like you.

we dont want the government like in your country. we want the corruption finished.

look how corrupt is my country now with thaksin. i never have this.

when i am young we never have the corrupt politics like now!

If every Thai person would think and relate to foreigners in this way, your dear country would be at Togo level in 1 month.

Foreigners take away money? Let's close all the businesses of foreigners companies in Thailand and you would see how economy will sustain well.

Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Samsung, Nikon, Canon, Makro, Lotus, G.E., Chevron/Caltex just to give you some examples...

Careful for what you wish... Most of the foreigner living here loves Thailand, and suffer to see the way corrupted politicians and your kamnan thep are throwing this country to hell.

Blame on the foreigners is an easy sport... but so dangerous.

You say look how corrupt is this country now, is never been like that? How is that related to us foreigners working here and paying taxes? Having business here and paying taxes? Or just visiting here and bring capitals to the tourism industry?

Come on, you can do much better, or you can go and join your brother in your crusade, at least you can do something you really have passion for. We are foreigners, we can make ourselves an idea of what is happening, but at the end of the day, we don't have any role in Thai politics.

Good luck to you, kamnan thep, Yingluck, Chalerm, Phra Buddha Issara, Army, Police and all of Thailand. We really need it.

My Thai wife thinks most goods you buy here are original Thai products.

I have tried but I don't get very far

Life's concept is very simple.....u WORK, then u get paid & u buy food for ur family. If u are too lazy to WORK, then there is no money for u & ur family. Unlike in the most western countries, if u don't work u can claim for welfares. If u cannot plant rice, try to get other jobs. It's as simple as that. There are so many jobs in thailand....the problem is most of the thais feels that they are higher class compared to the lao or cambodian so they do not want to do it. So whats the easiest way out? Begged.

Seriously? Don't they have any shame at all?

I know you're not referring to the farmers!!! All money gone and no food. No prospect of making money in the near future. A family to try to care for. A person would do what?

WORK.....any legal work that pays salary.....to feed their family.

Neither naive nor heartless....one question begs answering. Are the farmers handicap? Are they fully fit as an adult to do any other work besides farming? If the answer is NO they are not handicap then they should find other jobs to feed their families.

Why the donation box?

I thought Suthep had collected more than 20 million in 1 day last week for the farmers?

Ha Ha I doubt it would be for the farmers, more likely his pocket. Just another one on the bandwagon ripping of the Thai's.

Since when does Suthep represent the farmers ?

All I heard is that he donated a lot of money to them, not that he organized their protests .

I did not hear Suthep donated money to them, only that he collected money on their behalf ....

Sure he organizes their protests, they would't be there if he would not have encouraged them !

Life's concept is very simple.....u WORK, then u get paid & u buy food for ur family. If u are too lazy to WORK, then there is no money for u & ur family. Unlike in the most western countries, if u don't work u can claim for welfares. If u cannot plant rice, try to get other jobs. It's as simple as that. There are so many jobs in thailand....the problem is most of the thais feels that they are higher class compared to the lao or cambodian so they do not want to do it. So whats the easiest way out? Begged.

Are you not paying attention to what is going on? The farmer grew their rice and sold it but have not been paid. So they did their work but have not been paid.

They are not at the airport begging to get money, they are trying to get noticed. They were only there less than 1hr. Get off your high horse!

Are you not paying attention to what is going on? The farmer grew their rice and sold it but have not been paid. So they did their work but have not been paid.

They are not at the airport begging to get money, they are trying to get noticed. They were only there less than 1hr. Get off your high horse!

Yes I did read every word of the news....so tell me what the hell the donation box is for....isn't it the same as begging from the tourist to give them money to put rice on their dinner table? Everyone has their pride & this is what they resort to instead of wasting time at the airport rather then working & earning money. If u are so happy to donate or part with ur hard earn money, I beg u, please do so....the more the better. They voted for this crooked government not the tourist.

Yes I did read every word of the news....so tell me what the hell the donation box is for....isn't it the same as begging from the tourist to give them money to put rice on their dinner table? Everyone has their pride & this is what they resort to instead of wasting time at the airport rather then working & earning money. If u are so happy to donate or part with ur hard earn money, I beg u, please do so....the more the better. They voted for this crooked government not the tourist.

Again and please pay attention. They were not there a long time, less than 1hr So handful of tourist were affected. They were not trying to get money per say they were trying to get attention to their cause which is they sold their rice and have not been paid. It's a media stunt not really begging. Sure they had the box to collect money and was giving out little gifts to the tourists but this was all for show.

Again and please pay attention. They were not there a long time, less than 1hr So handful of tourist were affected. They were not trying to get money per say they were trying to get attention to their cause which is they sold their rice and have not been paid. It's a media stunt not really begging. Sure they had the box to collect money and was giving out little gifts to the tourists but this was all for show.
Right ok....my mistake I guess. Carry on, donate all ur hard earn money to them & get a bunch of padi stem as a good gesture from them.