Is it normal to ask for Credit Card or cash to pay your rent on a house lease?

I use the ATM to transfer the rent payment to the Landlady. Saves the grief of having to get the cash, physically carry it and then go find the landlady.

I had it clearly written in to the lease that this was the method of payment, and that the ATM receipt was sufficient evidence of payment.

Done it this way with 4 rentals over 4 years and never had a problem.

Edit: They may want actual cash at the lease signing for the deposit and first month's rent as a sign of good faith, especially if an agent has been used as the agent's commission will be expected in cash on the day.

Don't pay a single baht until the lease is signed, you are happy with all the conditions, you've inspected the property and taken photos of any existing damage and noted it on the lease, been given a list of chattels contained in the house and verified the accuracy, and you're satisfied that the person you're dealing with has the authority to rent the house to you and accept the cash. Get copies of their ID cards and get a receipt written in English.

Another Edit: Get a witness (preferably Thai) to sign the lease as well, and also attach a copy of their ID card. I don't want to sound too phobic, but if you use the belt/braces/binder twine theory in doing things like leasing a house, the chances of things going pear shaped are dramatically reduced.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

Now we do cash. Previous place, wire transfer into their account in the same bank account. That said, I didn't show them my bank card or anything. I just told them the bank and my name....deposits would be coming in from there, I said. As others noted, that is nice as it is recorded in the system.