Think Back

Ace of Pop

Ford Anglia 105E, think I was 18.

Two wheels, think I was 12, BSA Bantam. whistling.gif

My first ride was a Bessa Bantam. It had no headlight, no stop/tail light, no working brakes, no fenders, no proper seat (did have an old cushion on a bit of plank!), no horn and had to be push started.

So really it was only half a Bantam!

About 14. I used to drive my fathers car around the yard. Ostensibly to wash it!

Coincided with driving an old Ford Pop chassis around a field and an old BSA 650 single with more oil on the outside than in.

used to sit a guy or two on the upturned hood of a Ford pop and tow them around with a piece of rope! All good fun.

Bus at about 21.

Dads Ford Prefect headlights in the frontwings, posh err, when I was 14 on Port Maddock beach in Nth Wales.

My Uncles Ford V8 pilot not long after getting back from Wales, he left the keys while him a Dad when off to work, couldn't resist it.

Also one of them thingys can't remember what they were they sat on the back wheel of a bicycle and propelled the back wheel when I was about 8.

Edited by Kwasaki

Dads Ford Prefect headlights in the frontwings, posh err, when I was 14 on Port Maddock beach in Nth Wales.

Also one of them thingys can't remember what they were they sat on the back wheel of a bicycle and propelled the back wheel when I was about 8.

I drove a Ford Zodiac on Porthmadog Beach (Black Rock) when l was 13/14.....thumbsup.gif

I recall posting that before....smile.png

• Like 1

My father had a Hillman Ute (pickup) - Mark VIII ? he used for getting to and from work.

I was told and told again not to play around in it .... but curiosity got the better of me and I crashed it into the back wall of the garage. Jammed his tool chest into the wall to be precise. I was about 13 and sure did miss that pocket money for the next few months. But I learnt how a clutch worked.

Edited by Songhua

My father had a Hillman Ute (pickup) - Mark VIII ? he used for getting to and from work.

I was told and told again not to play around in it .... but curiosity got the better of me and I crashed it into the back wall of the garage. Jammed his tool chest into the wall to be precise. I was about 13 and sure did that miss that pocket money for the next few months. But I learnt how a clutch worked.

And how a thick ear hurt............laugh.png

• Like 1

My first Bike attemp was a 350 Velo KTT, single pot with a kick like a Mule. When Uncle was away i tried to start it,not knowing it had a decompressor the kickstart flew me over,so i crept away a very sheepish 15 year old.Trick was to open the Valve, good kick and let the lever in gently.First Bike owned was an old Enfield 250.

• Like 1

can't remember, but my father always told people I mastered changing gears on the crash box tractor just before my 8th birthday... use to love driving and reversing the big Arctic trailers into tight spots at 13 and 14.

Legal age to drive a car was 17, passed in the afternoon of my 17th b"day, 21 legal age for PSV [bus] passed on day 5 of being 21 in a double decker crash box, so had ALL TYPES License. and HGV 32 ton [truck] passed on day 9.. Drove most things very large to small from an early age

The only motorbike I rode at a early age was a ex Police Villiers the problem was getting it on it stand it was to heavy even for a big kid. not sure they were build for farm tracks and across fields

Edited by ignis

Thinking Back again. In the Fifties we Portuguese Kids thought there was no Trees in Germany. English Cars came with Real Wooden Trim and Dashboards.We always wanted to look in one . Even Posh German Cars came with Tin ones and weird dials to us. They even put a Chrome 180 badge on the tin dash same as on the outside,as kids we all regarded that as weird. As an aside, did you know the Portuguese are England's Oldest Allie.coffee1.gif