Help - I've got a snake in the ceiling!

DannyDakota

We have got a room about 3m x 4m with a wall air con unit.

The room has a false ceiling with about 30cm gap between the ceiling and the roof.

The ceiling has 4 downlights and no access.

2 days ago we started to hear loud noises from above the ceiling which might be a snake sliding around.

It could also be another animal but it doesnt sound like it has claws or talons.

And the only possible way something could have got in there is through a 2cm gap made by the pipe from the air con unit as it goes through the roof.

Short of pulling down the ceiling anybody got any ideas how to deal with whatever is up there?

PS we called Rentokill and they wanted 25,000 baht just to come and have a look!

Why not just leave it there? It probably wont hurt anything and when it's ready it will leave.

Probably the best idea, unless the noise it's making is disturbing you, assuming of course, it is a snake.

Inspecting ceiling voids with no access is always an issue, back home one would hire a 'SeeSnake' https://www.ridgid.com/th/en/seesnake-standard-camera and poke it through one of the downlighter holes, good luck with that here sad.png

EDIT Maybe you could do something with a webcam and portable light?

I've had rats, mice, tookays, squirrels and numerous birds in my ceiling space but AFIK no snakes. They generally stay for a while and then seem to disappear. At this very moment the pigeons roosting in my roof are driving me mad, together with the screeching koel bird starting up at 4am and carrying on most of the day. Oh the joys of living in rural Thailand.

Why not just leave it there? It probably wont hurt anything and when it's ready it will leave.

It is quite noisy as it moves across debris on the ceiling and I fear it might damage some electrics at some point.

I suspect it also might not be able to get out. While snakes never fail to amaze me with their physical abilities it would be a challenge to climb vertically up the inside of a blue water pipe, although I don't know exactly what the set up is above the ceiling, which is the only way out.

Probably the best idea, unless the noise it's making is disturbing you, assuming of course, it is a snake.

Inspecting ceiling voids with no access is always an issue, back home one would hire a 'SeeSnake' https://www.ridgid.com/th/en/seesnake-standard-camera and poke it through one of the downlighter holes, good luck with that here sad.png

EDIT Maybe you could do something with a webcam and portable light?

I did try this with a small light and mobile phone. I think i will give it a go with a better light and video camera hooked up to the laptop if possible.

Snakes are usually silent. Might consider birds roosting in your attic. This is just part of the mess we found in ours.

Very true, but it is the moving across debris on the ceiling that is causing the noise.

Of course anything is possible, but there isn't any feasible access for birds or squirrels through the concrete roof.

Had a snake in our house few months ago, was told to call city hall , I live in Bangalmung, phoned City Hall they sent the rescue people out with snake caching gear and took the snake away, they came very quick, phone the City Hall in your area they will take care of it, and no cost.

• Like 1

We moved in to a house that had been empty for some years and had rats and gecko's on the ceiling, the snakes are under the house.

I don't think the snakes will easily go up and they don't make a lot of noise too, so don't worry I would say.

We got rid of the rats easy, the gecko's are still there and the snakes I also see now and then, although I don't think it's as many as before. We do have 2 small dogs and a cat roaming the garden so the snakes will be less enthusiastic about their habitat.

Last time we had a snake in the kitchen, we just called the Police and they sent the Animal Rescue guys. Arrived within 5 minutes, found the snake, removed it, job done in 10 mins and they refused to take any cash for the help. Lovely people.

• Like 1

Bats....................that's my guess.

We've had several of these visitors over the last few years - they seem to be able to get in through the tiniest opening in the eves then cannot find their way out but make a real loud noise banging into the hanging metal supports for the false ceiling.

Only cure for us was to manually evict/kill the blighters (climbing around in the roofspace) then trying to block up any new access points with expanding polymer...............good luck!

• Like 1

Doesn't really sound like a snake. But don't feed it if you think it is, otherwise it will just go to sleep and stay there until it's ready to come out. I agree with either the rat or the tookay theories. Better not to be a rat as it will start to eat any electrics or plastic.Two suggestions - snakes don't like mothballs so if you can get some up there it may move. Rats don't like lights and if you can somehow leave a bright light or torch up there they may move on

• Like 1

I had a similar problem a few months ago. At night, something sounding quite large would walk around on my hung ceilings. I fastened a washcloth as a cushion to a 2 meter length of PCV pipe and the next time I heard the critter moving around, I vigorously rapped on the ceiling in the vicinity of the sound. After a couple of rounds of rapping, the creature was silent and had not come back.

If it's rats, the easiest way to solve the problem is to put some rat poison, sprinkled with fish sauce(rats like fish sauce) into the roof space, together with a small dish of water. Not a nice way to bump them off, but over the years I have had to do it when I've heard them playing football on the ceiling.I think the poison also stops the smell of the decomposition of the rats.1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif

We moved in to a house that had been empty for some years and had rats and gecko's on the ceiling, the snakes are under the house.

I don't think the snakes will easily go up and they don't make a lot of noise too, so don't worry I would say.

We got rid of the rats easy, the gecko's are still there and the snakes I also see now and then, although I don't think it's as many as before. We do have 2 small dogs and a cat roaming the garden so the snakes will be less enthusiastic about their habitat.

You obviously live in a very desirable residence. You have two small dogs and a cat and the snakes will be less enthusiastic? Dream on, at this very moment the snakes are probably writing their menu.