Expert downplays health concerns over salty tap water in Bangkok

webfact

Expert Downplays Health Concerns Over Salty Tap Water
By Khaosod English

13928139931392814222l.jpg
Officials from Provincial Waterworks Authority in Songkhla province drink tap water to assure the public of its safety, 16 September 2011

BANGKOK: -- Tap water in Bangkok might taste a bit salty at this time, but a nutrition expert said Bangkokians need not worry.

Reports of salty tap water arose in recent days. Many believe the increased level of salts might be due to the drought season or heightened sea level in the Gulf of Thailand, which situated close to the capital city.

However, President of the Nutrition Association of Thailand, Mr. Sa-Nga Damapong, advised the public to take the news with a grain of salt, since a thorough research over the issue must be conducted first before any conclusion is made.

Since the purifying system of waterwork in Bangkok is "up to standard", Mr. Sa-Nga asserted that the salty water is unlikely to cause harm to the public. The most serious effect would be merely a change in water taste, according to the expert.

While he admitted that large consumption of salt in tap water could be harmful, Mr. Sa-Nga stressed that the danger could be averted by avoiding a massive intake of salty tap water.

"In reality, no one does that anyway," Mr. Sa-Nga said.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1qZ3hNems1TXc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-20

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty weird.

When i'm home i never appreciate the clean and tasty tap water we have here in Skandinavia, but when i'm on vacations i miss it.

Would be nice to travel anywhere without worring about the quality of the water.

How come Thailands tap water is no good?

Is it the piping systems that pollute the water on it's way to the consumer or is it the groundwater itself?

Entertaining looks on their faces in the photo.

Even though nobody drinks much tap water anyway, these three poor bastards were voluntold for the confidence inspiring taste test photo op.

I would give them each 500 baht to come up to my town for a photo op sipping our slightly tea colored tap water. laugh.png

• Like 1

drink tap water in Thailand - NO WAY !

really not about the taste, not even about the dust or impurity, it is the bacteria and the microbiolism living inside the water. a normal carbon filter is not appropriate in this application.

there are millions dollar water purification industries in Thailand. did these guys suggest that the industries exist for no reason, or they call everyone filter is not necessary ? check them home first !

Of course the Thais will say they had planned all along to make the water salty to increase it mineral content, and that this is a clever way of enhancing the health of people in Bangkok.

No one here ever admits they are wrong. They are always twisting facts to prove that even their stupidest mistakes are actually cleverly thought up ideas.

Actual fact is that people don't think that way. We give them too much credit for ideas and thinking that is just.... stupid!

Let's take things at face value....

So.... what probably happened here is that some irresponsible, lazy person was hauling bags of corrosive chemicals designed to clean the water pumping machinery and careless tripped and dumped all the chemicals into the water supply.

Edited by Blackmirage2013

"advised the public to take the news with a grain of salt, since a thorough research over the issue must be conducted first before any conclusion is made.

Since the purifying system of waterwork in Bangkok is "up to standard", Mr. Sa-Nga asserted that the salty water is unlikely to cause harm to the public."

=

"We don't know yet, but just keep drinking until we find out. don't worry."

• Like 1

Drinking tap water in Thailand!??!?! Since when it is safe? RIP guys cheesy.gif

Safe in Bangkok if one can smell the chlorine. Lots of people do!

That's one reason I stopped using tap water to make my coffee when I lived in Bangkok. It just didn't taste right.

The Thai news said this was due to inferior equipment being used. As normal, they pocketed money that should have been used to buy better equipment. As reported by the Thai local news.

Drinking tap water in Thailand!??!?! Since when it is safe? RIP guys cheesy.gif

Safe in Bangkok if one can smell the chlorine. Lots of people do!

Here we get sometimes water not smelling

Sometimes water smelling like wet land

Sometimes smelling strong chlorine stronger than a public swimmingpool in the 70s....

Drinking??????????????

• Like 2

Why is that dude on the left squinting like that?

Is the water sour now?

or

I'm really forcing myself to drink this?

or

This tastes like sh#t.

Hopefully the added salt flavor includes iodine so at least we don't have to worry about goiter.

Edited by smileydude