racism among expats in thailand

yanyk

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ten years in Thailand have never seen racism against anyone, except from Thais to anyone that isnt Thai. 2nd post in a month for the OP stating he feels racism exists, firstly from potential employees and now expats. Sometimes it isnt down to ones colour or culture that they are rejected or not particulary liked but down to the way the individual comes accross.......and sometimes it is imaginary. Would be nice OP if you post the 'highest forms of racism' you have experienced so wehave more of an idea what you are going through.

like no thai have ever called me a NIGGA, i dress well like a teacher that i'm. i have sat down with expats and they say,hey man what are u doing here (in Thailand) i reply i'm a teacher' i see they all looked each other..and one stupid one asked..'are u kidding me? what school? and i don't have a job?....i cant really count these meetings..i applied through and agency to get a teaching job, they bluntly told me that the agency will never put a black man on their radar..i told him i was in a school that don't really care about color but want to only take me if i had an agency buy they still refu

Racism aside. You are teaching in Thailand for a poor salary.

If that is all the skill you have in this world, racism would be the last thing I would be worrying about.

Why travel half way around the world to teach in Thailand? Why not teach in the USA?

Once you have experience in Thailand, you will understand what all the other posters are saying.

99% of the Thai's associate color with Africa, no matter what you tell them.

Africans do not have a good reputation in Thailand. Look at the Thai jail roster and see how many are imprisoned in Thailand.

It is unfortunate, however, Thai's will talk behind you, they are not brazen enough to talk to your face.

You knew what you were getting into when you moved to Thailand, you know the reasons you are in Thailand in the first place.

Nothing that happens should be a surprise.

Ten years in Thailand have never seen racism against anyone, except from Thais to anyone that isnt Thai. 2nd post in a month for the OP stating he feels racism exists, firstly from potential employees and now expats. Sometimes it isnt down to ones colour or culture that they are rejected or not particulary liked but down to the way the individual comes accross.......and sometimes it is imaginary. Would be nice OP if you post the 'highest forms of racism' you have experienced so wehave more of an idea what you are going through.

like no thai have ever called me a NIGGA, i dress well like a teacher that i'm. i have sat down with expats and they say,hey man what are u doing here (in Thailand) i reply i'm a teacher' i see they all looked each other..and one stupid one asked..'are u kidding me? what school? and i don't have a job?....i cant really count these meetings..i applied through and agency to get a teaching job, they bluntly told me that the agency will never put a black man on their radar..i told him i was in a school that don't really care about color but want to only take me if i had an agency buy they still refu

If that is all the skill you have in this world, racism would be the last thing I would be worrying about.

Why travel half way around the world to teach in Thailand? Why not teach in the USA?

Once you have experience in Thailand, you will understand what all the other posters are saying.

Africans do not have a good reputation in Thailand. Look at the Thai jail roster and see how many are imprisoned in Thailand.

It is unfortunate, however, Thai's will talk behind you, they are not brazen enough to talk to your face.

You knew what you were getting into when you moved to Thailand, you know the reasons you are in Thailand in the first place.

Enjoy Florida, BW. Let's just hope your wife doesn't get mistaken for a black person.

Just tell her not to go out at night wearing a hoodie, and she should be OK.

Threads like these really do show that bigotry towards Thai people expressed by Thai bashers, more often than not extends to other racial and ethnic minorities as well.

Edited by Gecko123

blacks are not really admired anywhere as far as i know.
basically your seen as poor or criminal. that's just how it is.

in thailand, it would be even worse since most blacks here are nigerians.
the reputation precedes them.

Where and when is your next klonvocation, Grand Wizard?

9 pages that actually prove the point of the OP. the majority of the posters here are totally racist.

Some posters get it and understand, but most seem to be trying to convince the OP and anyone who isn't white that their perspective is more accurate.

Thais are upfront with their discrimination but Westerners tend to be more subtle. The racism is more implied.

For most expats in Thailand this is the first time that they have ever experienced xenophobia or racism, so the assume that it is worse for non whites here.

if you laugh at these, you are probably racist.

Enjoy Florida, BW. Let's just hope your wife doesn't get mistaken for a black person.

Threads like these really do show that bigotry towards Thai people expressed by Thai bashers, more often than not extends to other racial and ethnic minorities as well.

Hope 10 Thai's don't stomp you into the ground because you are a farang?

It is always 10 against 1 but that is not racist so don't take it personal if it ever happens to you.

We have guns in Florida.Lots of them.

To bad the Thai govt doesn't trust you with one.

That way if you are mistaken and getting the crap kicked out of you, you could put up some kind of defense.

But as such, remember why it is always 10 against 1. Not racist though. Maybe they just don't like your unwitty humor or personality.

like no thai have ever called me a NIGGA, i dress well like a teacher that i'm. i have sat down with expats and they say,hey man what are u doing here (in Thailand) i reply i'm a teacher' i see they all looked each other..and one stupid one asked..'are u kidding me? what school? and i don't have a job?....i cant really count these meetings..i applied through and agency to get a teaching job, they bluntly told me that the agency will never put a black man on their radar..i told him i was in a school that don't really care about color but want to only take me if i had an agency buy they still refused

Ok - so 1 by 1....

- are you saying you regularly get called "NIGGA" by random white people in the street?

- when people look at you because you say you are a teacher, it's not your color, it's the fact that a lot of expats look down on teachers here, especially unqualified ones on very low salaries.

- when you can't get a job - the agency won't put you on the books because the Thai schools won't take you, agencies get paid per placement, color doesn't come into it. As for you being in a school but them needing to employ you via an agency, this makes little sense. If the agency places you it makes no difference to the school - if you are employed via the agency then that agency would become your employee and be on the hook for various things such as severance pay. So if they cannot place you in another position after this school, they are wise to refuse.

Has to be said - it's pretty obvious you aren't a qualified teacher. Not just based on your piss poor grammar and spelling above. Rather on the fact you are in-country scratching around for teaching jobs when most International Schools recruit from overseas.

why are most of the 'farangs' here bent on trying to make me feel the problem is actually with the Thais when we all know

the west initiated slavery and slave trade

There is such a huge chip on your shoulder.

Slavery is in the past.

No white person alive today was responsible for slavery. It's history.

So you might want to stop putting the blame on the white people that exist today for something they never did and something that most likely led to the descendants of Black slaves (certainly those in the US) having a better life than if their ancestors had remained in Africa.

why are most of the 'farangs' here bent on trying to make me feel the problem is actually with the Thais when we all know

thats not true, africa and the middle east invented Slavery.. there is still so much slavery in Africa and the middle east, the only places and the 1st places that have had slavery are in africa today and Africans sold other Africans to slavery.

Your post reminds me of a list I just read on another thread, the classic symptoms of racist people:

4. They play down slavery like it is no big deal. Because to them the suffering of black people is no big deal. Because blacks do not count as, like, Real People. Unlike, say, the Jews whose Holocaust we must never forget (and rightly so). Key expressions:

Get over it!

It was the times!

Africans sold their own people as slaves!

Arab traders sold slaves too!

Slavery is universal!

My family never owned slaves!

Aaah - so now the truth makes you racist?

Let's cut to the chase. Being white makes you racist, right?

How admired are you?

post-215904-0-68288600-1455063267_thumb.

P.S. In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of poor people in Thailand.

But, oddly, that doesn't seem to have stopped you from coming here. Wonder why? whistling.gif

Hope 10 Thai's don't stomp you into the ground because you are a farang?

It is always 10 against 1 but that is not racist so don't take it personal if it ever happens to you.

We have guns in Florida.Lots of them.

To bad the Thai govt doesn't trust you with one.

That way if you are mistaken and getting the crap kicked out of you, you could put up some kind of defense.

But as such, remember why it is always 10 against 1. Not racist though. Maybe they just don't like your unwitty humor or personality.

Admit it, BW:

The thought that your wife might be mistaken for a light-skinned black woman never crossed your mind, and the thought is kind of shocking to you, isn't it?

I can understand why that might stick in your craw. That probably wouldn't go over too well down at the local country club, would it?

post-215904-0-53867700-1455064619_thumb.

P.S. I've never felt the need to own a gun in Thailand, and I never worry about being attacked by 10 guys here. But if that ever happened, I'm confident I could quickly defuse the situation by telling some jokes. Most Thai guys I know love laughing even more than they love beating up farangs. biggrin.png

Edited by Gecko123

Every week I see signs in hotels and bars saying: No Arabs or Black people. We don't serve people from Africa. And similar signs.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As for the no Arabs signs, they were popular in bars 20 years ago, havent seen any in ages.

Certainly never saw any in a hotel.

I haven't seen any in ages as well. But the Lars dude says he sees these signs EVERY WEEK?? Is he delusional or just adept at telling lies?

I can see signs like this in many bars in the Nana area. This one sits on the wall in a bar at soi 5 sukhomwith.

Wow that sign is shocking look how much a Singh beer is unbelievable

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have a friend from Ghana who lives in Thailand and has also lived in several other countries. His experience is that Thais are the most racist people he has met.

Here in the provinces he apparently has no problem but down in Bangkok he says people look horrified at his presence and even wipe themselves if he accidentally brushes past them.

I have a friend from Ghana who lives in Thailand and has also lived in several other countries. His experience is that Thais are the most racist people he has met.

Here in the provinces he apparently has no problem but down in Bangkok he says people look horrified at his presence and even wipe themselves if he accidentally brushes past them.

Why is it always a white guy saying this? I've yet to meet a black person in Thailand who's had any bad experiences. Even the black members on TV who comment from time to time have not mentioned being the target of racism by Thais. It's as if some white folks in Thailand feel a desperate need to convince everyone that Thais are racist against blacks. But reality is nothing like that.

Why is it always a white guy saying this? I've yet to meet a black person in Thailand who's had any bad experiences. Even the black members on TV who comment from time to time have not mentioned being the target of racism by Thais. It's as if some white folks in Thailand feel a desperate need to convince everyone that Thais are racist against blacks. But reality is nothing like that.

I would agree with you that most Thais are not prejudiced against blacks.

That's a laudable character trait considering their aversion to dark skin.

The social advantages enjoyed by light skinned people go back to the beginnings of Indochinese civilization.

The idea of caste is expressed by the Sanskrit term varna which means "colour"

My wife rents rooms for a living, many owners say no Indians and no Blacks.....this is NOT 1 or 2 owners this is many, make of it what u will............many also say NO children.

Slavery is in the past.

So you might want to stop putting the blame on the white people that exist today for something they never did and something that most likely led to the descendants of Black slaves (certainly those in the US) having a better life than if their ancestors had remained in Africa.

Moronic post

Black people are still suffering the detrimental effects of slavery and white people are still eating out on the benefits.

Oh, for sure, a lot of blacks are their own worst enemy thanks to divisive, antisocial attitudes rooted in culture (certainly in the US) but there's no denying are obstacles placed in their way by those in power.

Britain, the US built their fortunes on the back of exploitation and slavery and to suggest otherwise suggests an attempt to rewrite history so that socially conscious white folks can let themselves off the hook for the shit their ancestors did and got away with

And black slavery didnt exist in Africa before did it?

It's not a white guy saying this it's an African guy. And plenty of my Thai friends agree that they also don't like Africans, and would react in much the same way.

Sadly, this is the terrain you have to navigate through... reverse discrimination is someone who is Western Asian Born, but discriminated in Thailand for being a Western..

As the great ones have said, it all depends on your situation, you, and the time of day..

Drive on you are a trendsetter.

wai2.gif

Slavery is in the past.

Moronic post

Black people are still suffering the detrimental effects of slavery and white people are still eating out on the benefits.

Oh, for sure, a lot of blacks are their own worst enemy thanks to divisive, antisocial attitudes rooted in culture (certainly in the US) but there's no denying are obstacles placed in their way by those in power.

Britain, the US built their fortunes on the back of exploitation and slavery and to suggest otherwise suggests an attempt to rewrite history so that socially conscious white folks can let themselves off the hook for the shit their ancestors did and got away with

Sorry, but I don't recall saying or even implying that

It's not a white guy saying this it's an African guy. And plenty of my Thai friends agree that they also don't like Africans, and would react in much the same way.

Alex, it seems the point Berkshire made has evaded you.

No it hasn't because 'why is it always a white guy saying it'? Obviously it wasn't a white guy saying it to me. Africans are treated with constant suspicion by Thais and know not to say anything to rock the boat. But if you have actual African friends you will find out how they really feel here and how they are really treated.

Slavery is in the past.

Moronic post

White supremacists werent the only ones building their empires and fortunes on the Black slave trade many African nations were involved before the mass enslavements of recentish years as well as Arabs and the Romans.

Slavery is in the past.

Moronic post

White supremacists werent the only ones building their empires and fortunes on the Black slave trade many African nations were involved before the mass enslavements of recentish years as well as Arabs and the Romans.

Exactly. The Europeans didn't just show up and kidnap Africans. Africans were the ones who sold them the slaves.