The present problems and foreign intervention

nonthaburial

all good things eventually come to an end , imo it will soon be time for a radical change of direction for this country , your comment about never being colonized has nothing to do with todays predicament .... the local region of Myanmar , Thailand ,Laos and Cambodia are all basket cases due to internal issues not foreign issues .....it is all part of developing democracies .... for the first time i see signs from here ( deep in isaan) of the locals being fed up , they want change .... a split is coming and i just hope the loss of life is minimal along with the financial holocaust ....

• Like 1

Yes, Thailand was never colonized. Part of this "success" was its 1940 "Treaty between Thailand and Japan Concerning the Continuance of Friendly Relations and the Mutual Respect of Each Other's Territorial Integrity" to become an ally with the Japanese Empire. Under this treaty with Japanese "assistance" Thailand made successful territorial conquests against the French in conjunction with Japan's own fight against the French, Americans, and Chinese. Also under this treaty Thailand allowed Japan to build a railroad network in Thailand using in part American and British POW's. Maybe in the long run it was unfortunate that Thailand was never colonized and, thus, never realized what it took to become a real democratic country. Look around Asia at countries like The Philipines, India, Indoneasia, Malaysia, etc. that were colonized who have since become successful and stable democracies. And while it didn't become a "colony" of America with its defeat in WWII, Japan's dominance by the American victors set it also to become one of the world's strongest economic and democratic nation.

• Like 2

OP is right, as I've always said.. We have not rights, what we have are purely privileges, nothing more.

Online banter may be members'

forte but where rights are concerned, both you & I have none. Never had, not now & never will.

I thoroughly enjoy reading "keyboard warriors' views & expressions."

Sometimes I read them to a point I know they are already furiously banging on the keys : )

Gotta love this forum!!

somtam palah

• Like 1

I am in total agreement with the OP, I have been saying for months now, that as a Guest in this country, I will refrain from making direct comments on the current issues.

My wife is a very well educated Thai and I leave all commentary on Thai Politics to her. She warned me many years ago, that unlike Australia where I had numerous verbal clashes with Prime Ministers, Premiers and other assorted "Pollies", Union Bosses, Tree-huggers and various Fringe-dwelling Lunatics, I could very well finish up in Prison or being Deported if I air my opinions on what are "Thai Matters."

Sure, there are times when I'm tempted to point out some blatant stupidity etc., by someone or other in the political arena but I hold back, not so much because I fear deportation or even being tossed in the Clink, but simply because my Wife, whom I adore has asked me to not get involved and also because, as I have stated here previously, I am a Guest in this Country.

Thanks to "nonthaiburial" for taking the trouble to explain the "facts of life in Thailand" to some Ferang who think that anyone in Thai Politics gives "a fig" about what they might have to say on Domestic issues.

• Like 2

It has been said a thousand times on TV farangs have no rights in Thailand. like the "alien's" we are, like having to go though the yearly hassle of visa renewal, a pain in the butt.

But,if I was not in Thailand I could not farm ,like I am, there is no way way I could buy / rent land in the uk and farm , so I will put up with all the BS Including, Thai politics.

I have been with my Thai wife for some years now , and can trust her.

The worse thing is,I can not see a change in anything in Thailand for a long time.