Thai farmers to target Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

Ratcatcher is correct in his summary. All the farmers want is payment which they were promised. The fact that the rice pledging scheme was a farce ab initio, is not their fault nor their concern. They just want to be paid for the work they were asked to do, and have done. No sinister conspiracy theories need be involved.

• Like 1

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Imagine the gasoline bill for driving a tractor that distance!!!

And, 2 days from Issan, maybe 3 days 2 nights from Udon. The Thai farmer said---" Oh never mind it's only the 20th time they gave us a date for payment"

&lt;deleted&gt;...........somebody is crossoppled here ----free scans at your local hospital needed urgent .coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Nobody pictured here drove a tractor in from Udon, are you really that clueless? These tractors are all from the Ayutthaya region just north of Bangkok wai2.gif

You checked where all the thousands were from???

Thanks for the kind remark re "clueless" So only you knows ??? I should have known -the number plates gave the game away, Think before slagging posters off. I do understand that majority were from Bang Pa In--Lop Buri -Sarapburi -Nakorn Sawan. How many thousands from Ayuttaya, sorry you are a bit out with your geography.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I made some inquiries about this thing from non-PAD-Dem sources.

They perceive it as the commercial farmer's wing of the anti-democrat movement threatening the airport. Regardless of protestations to the contrary, just going there is a 'threat'. Shades of the PAD.

According to them, the PAD has never "died," been "finished" or "disbanded." PAD remains the core of the current anti-democrat movement. Its strategists and activists have been at the sharp end of every anti-democratic action since 2005, and they are critically important for the current anti-democrat action, especially now that it is essentially a violent and armed movement.

Another thing they said that was interesting, was to see the plethora of seemingly new Kubota tractors, and referencing some interesting linckages between Kubota and Elitist elements..These farmers would not be doing such a thing without considerable compensation.

Given the anti-UDD/RS/PTP bent of the mainstream media, these linckages and motivations are left largely unexplained. Seeking only to bolster anti-Govt motivations and by extension, anti all those millions whose electoral choice they are trying to nullify.

Exactly what I am hearing

Right, uh huh. I'll bet.

'londonthai' "looks like brand new tractors, unlike agricultural machinery which is seen in the countryside.

somebody lend them to the farmers?"

I've seen plenty of them in the countryside? These red Kubota tractors have become the 'must have accessory' for many farmers over the last few years around my wife's village in Issan. We usually see 3 or 4 every time we take the 10 minute drive into town.

in fact, they were contacted but rejected the job. as did all other monkeys/apes...

They said it was discriminatory to ask them to govern a banana republic. Their lawyers are busy with the discrimination case as we speak.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 1

Suthep gave his 25 million baht donations he collected for the farmers, to the Law Society of Thailand, so that they can sue the Government. The farmers never received anything from Suthep.

The Law Society of Thailand is now accusing the police of shooting protesters.

What's your point?

The Law Society of Thailand should not accusing the police of shooting protesters?

I made some inquiries about this thing from non-PAD-Dem sources.

They perceive it as the commercial farmer's wing of the anti-democrat movement threatening the airport. Regardless of protestations to the contrary, just going there is a 'threat'. Shades of the PAD.

According to them, the PAD has never "died," been "finished" or "disbanded." PAD remains the core of the current anti-democrat movement. Its strategists and activists have been at the sharp end of every anti-democratic action since 2005, and they are critically important for the current anti-democrat action, especially now that it is essentially a violent and armed movement.

Another thing they said that was interesting, was to see the plethora of seemingly new Kubota tractors, and referencing some interesting linckages between Kubota and Elitist elements..These farmers would not be doing such a thing without considerable compensation.

Given the anti-UDD/RS/PTP bent of the mainstream media, these linckages and motivations are left largely unexplained. Seeking only to bolster anti-Govt motivations and by extension, anti all those millions whose electoral choice they are trying to nullify.

These imaginary "sources" would you care to share or is this just your thinking and trying to make it credible by evoking the " I was told by reliable people" statement .

"These imaginary "sources" would you care to share....."

Be happy to Barney R.

I live in a heavily populated UDD/RS area and hear their perspective all the time.

Many times my comments channel this POV, as I am primarily a pro-electoral Democracy and anti-coup type, respecting the choices of the Thai electorate.

Being equally exposed to the anti-UDD/RS media, the inconsistencies between the two perspectives jumps out.

It is good to be exposed to both sides, don't you think.

your absolutly correct in being exposed to both sides but only if you give both sides of the story not the bits you decide to cherry pick..thumbsup.gif

Seems farmers are a political football in the current mess. Good move by Suthep et al to get Yingluck to resign and become caretaker without power to pay off farmers, and then blame her for not paying off farmers. Do any of the farmers understand that? She needs better advisers, but that is probably true of all parties to this situation.

If she resigns again (?), how would that lead to farmers being paid? Without sitting parliament, who would be next in line to step into that enviable position? Hope some of more knowledgeable ones here can answer that one. Probably go to courts for that judicial coup so many have been hoping for?

looks like brand new tractors, unlike agricultural machinery which is seen in the countryside.

somebody lend them to the farmers?

also it looks like there are several groups, each with a different objective. It seems somebody is playing politics, instead for the farmers to represent themselves.

those national flags on the tractors are worrying, a nationalist card is played too often in thai politics, always against interests of the majority

This is clearly an orchestrated event! It is interesting that these farmers are all from areas just immediately north of Bangkok, you don't see any farmers from the Royong-Trat region or Korat, Surin, Ubon, Udon or any area in the north. This just goes to show that the folks backing suthep have deep pockets and really want a protracted fight. The government needs to double down and equip the police with tear gas, rubber bullets and water Cannons, its too bad that Thailand doesn't have the new sound wave technology to disperse crowds as this would be a perfect opportunity to deploy the new technology thumbsup.gif
If course it is an orchestrated event, mass demonstrations usually are. Does that make their grievances any less valid?

Gassing unpaid farmers or gunning them down would be instant political suicide.

Sent from somewhere in the Pacific

I do not know if their grievance are valid or not, what I do know is that this group is coming in from a very small area directly north of Bangkok which represents less than 1% of the Thai farming community, and they were in talks with sutheps people and encouraged (likely promised monetary consideration) by sutheps group! The tear gas, rubber bullets and water cannons were a suggestion for the remaining protestors in sutheps group or if these farmers did in fact try and overtake the airport like the yellow shirts did, obviously they have turned back around for whatever reason so the means I have suggested are only for the hard core protesters left in sutheps ranks thumbsup.gif BTW tear gas, rubber bullets and water cannons are non lethal force, by your twisting my suggestion around and stating "gassing people" and "gunning them down" either shows your complete ignorance or your extreme bias in this situation wai2.gif

Do you need the other 99% of the farming population to turn up in person before you acknowledge there is a problem? More than a million families have not been paid.

Tear gas and rubber bullets are not 'non lethal'. In previous Bangkok protests people have been killed or had limbs severed by tear gas canisters. Rubber bullets also frequently maim, blind or kill.

Is this an appropriate way to treat the rural voter base when they are complaining that the government has deprived them of an income for up to six months?

• Like 2

That looks serious. Now maybe the government will deal with them.

How? You say that as if the govt could pay them but doesn't want to. But they have surely exhausted all available avenues to get the money... only way they're going to be paid is if parliament meets quorum, or if senate can amend the constitution to give caretaker govt extra powers (apparently this can be done but takes three weeks), in which case they could borrow more money. Also if the govt is overthrown I guess, although it's not clear why an appointed govt would legally be allowed to borrow the money and a caretaker govt can't, but I suppose if you're going to tear up the constitution...

None of this is going to happen this week, so I guess the farmers aren't going to get paid.

There is always the possibility that the government could grab back the pocketed rice money from the corrupt middlemen etc. and use that to make a significant down payment to the BAAC. I would guess that is probably even more difficult than acquiring a loan.

I have to admit, it looks impressive with all those tractors. The farmers mean business and I wish them well. Unless you've worked on a rice farm, you would never know just how hard a life it is, let alone worrying about payment after a hard seasons work. They were treated unfairly and enough is enough.

Yes it seems to me that the farmers have been treated unfairly, I agree with them making protests, the only thing is they should never hit out at the ordinary people going about their business and trying to earn their livelihood. Suthep and the protesters have caused untold inconvenience to ordinary people, as have the red shirts in 2010, and the yellow shirts at the airport.

Here is just one example, I was driving home from Bangkok yesterday, and saw the farmers heading towards Bangkok, they took up the three lanes on the highway stopping all other traffic from passing them. How much inconvenience is that causing innocent people? ie, people going to catch flights, people trying to earn a livelihood etc etc.

Can't all these protesters see what they are doing to innocent people? If I am walking down the street with my wife, minding our own business, and we are attacked and beaten up by a gang, do I form a gang and go and beat up an innocent man and his wife to protest at what people did to me? What is the difference between that and what the protesters are doing?

You poor thing. How many farmers feel the "inconvenience" of being left out in the cold with no money to pay bills, giving land title to loan sharks in order to borrow money, killing themselves out of sheer desperation, etc etc. They want to make a statement that the country will take notice of. If running a business & you were waiting for payment which you need to survive & feed your family would you sit idly by & accept?

I think each and every one of us farangs pity the farmers....but your point is that it is ok to block the airport roads and major intersections whenever a group of people need something from the government. Is that what you prefer? I don't agree with their methodology...it could do more than anger a few expats...it has international implications due to flight delays.... Yes I said that. I know they will not block the runways...but how will people who operate the airport get in and out on time? Supplies...Equipment...Staff.....and the unfortunate passengers who have to rebook. This is lunacy.

None of the farmers deserve any of my compassion, if they are idiotic enough to go along with the plan of blocking the international airport. None. Period. Zip. Zilch. Stop them at all costs. Whatever it takes. Even if lives are lost, even if it results in a major battle, stop them from a potential act of lunacy. Block all the roads leading toward the airport to all but legitimate business. Man up for God's sake. Behave like any civilized government would.

• Like 1

Do you need the other 99% of the farming population to turn up in person before you acknowledge there is a problem? More than a million families have not been paid.

Tear gas and rubber bullets are not 'non lethal'. In previous Bangkok protests people have been killed or had limbs severed by tear gas canisters. Rubber bullets also frequently maim, blind or kill.

Is this an appropriate way to treat the rural voter base when they are complaining that the government has deprived them of an income for up to six months?

You make some good points. And the bottom line is they need to be paid. But, you cannot allow them to go through with this ridiculous plan. It is lunacy. It is insanity. It has to be stopped, immediately. They cannot be allowed within 2 km. of that airport. Period.

I have to admit, it looks impressive with all those tractors. The farmers mean business and I wish them well. Unless you've worked on a rice farm, you would never know just how hard a life it is, let alone worrying about payment after a hard seasons work. They were treated unfairly and enough is enough.

Yes it seems to me that the farmers have been treated unfairly, I agree with them making protests, the only thing is they should never hit out at the ordinary people going about their business and trying to earn their livelihood. Suthep and the protesters have caused untold inconvenience to ordinary people, as have the red shirts in 2010, and the yellow shirts at the airport.

Here is just one example, I was driving home from Bangkok yesterday, and saw the farmers heading towards Bangkok, they took up the three lanes on the highway stopping all other traffic from passing them. How much inconvenience is that causing innocent people? ie, people going to catch flights, people trying to earn a livelihood etc etc.

Can't all these protesters see what they are doing to innocent people? If I am walking down the street with my wife, minding our own business, and we are attacked and beaten up by a gang, do I form a gang and go and beat up an innocent man and his wife to protest at what people did to me? What is the difference between that and what the protesters are doing?

You poor thing. How many farmers feel the "inconvenience" of being left out in the cold with no money to pay bills, giving land title to loan sharks in order to borrow money, killing themselves out of sheer desperation, etc etc. They want to make a statement that the country will take notice of. If running a business & you were waiting for payment which you need to survive & feed your family would you sit idly by & accept?

I think each and every one of us farangs pity the farmers....but your point is that it is ok to block the airport roads and major intersections whenever a group of people need something from the government. Is that what you prefer? I don't agree with their methodology...it could do more than anger a few expats...it has international implications due to flight delays.... Yes I said that. I know they will not block the runways...but how will people who operate the airport get in and out on time? Supplies...Equipment...Staff.....and the unfortunate passengers who have to rebook. This is lunacy.

None of the farmers deserve any of my compassion, if they are idiotic enough to go along with the plan of blocking the international airport. None. Period. Zip. Zilch. Stop them at all costs. Whatever it takes. Even if lives are lost, even if it results in a major battle, stop them from a potential act of lunacy. Block all the roads leading toward the airport to all but legitimate business. Man up for God's sake. Behave like any civilized government would.

Possibly a civilized government would pay their creditors on time .. no?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app.

Man oh man are you missing the point. Of course they need to be paid. Of course she was completely idiotic to pass this policy without the means to pay the farmers. We all know that growing rice means you are committing yourself to a hand to mouth existence, and you will NEVER have a savings account. It is a cash flow biz, and they should have been paid within 30 days. They have a right to be angry. But, the airport is crossing the line, and at that point the authorities have the right to jail them for YEARS, and to impose MASSIVE fines on their families, confiscate their equipment, their land, and whatever else they can do to prevent this absolute lunacy.

They should probably check out Don Muang Airport as well ...... Thats probably where the SHIN CLANS Private Jets are waiting ....whistling.gif

And thaksins air Asia...

I fail to see why they want to boycott AIS though. As Suthep said himself, Thaksin sold all his shares in AIS many years ago, and it now belongs mainly to the Singaporean government and a bunch of neutral sharesholders from all over the world. How is it going to damage Thaksin to boycott a company he no longer has any shares in or any influence on?

It would be similar to me having a dispute with my neighbour, and then damage a car he sold to someone else 10 years ago. I am quite sure my neighbour could not care less biggrin.png

Thaksin may or may not have cheated on his taxes when he sold AIS, but that does not have much to do with AIS' current owners, and even if AIS went bankrupt tomorrow, it would not influence Thaksin's taxes even one little bit.

Edited by monkeycountry

You make some good points. And the bottom line is they need to be paid. But, you cannot allow them to go through with this ridiculous plan. It is lunacy. It is insanity. It has to be stopped, immediately. They cannot be allowed within 2 km. of that airport. Period.

Then what do you suggest? And I mean to really have an IMPACT- as months of mere demonstrations in BKK is still not motivating PTP to do a whole heck of a lot.

Anyone looking at the picture posted with this story will not be surprised that the administration was quite determined about this not taking place. And the only thing that could have deterred it would have been yet another promise. But now that the proposed event has been cancelled, the farmers enter yet another of the Yingluck administration's promised timelines. The problem is - with each one that is not met - simply angers the farmers even more. Although the administration has promised payment by next week, there is no way they can actually do it from any constitutional or practical means possible. 130 baht is a huge amount of money, and they are beyond the constitutional capacity to raise it. And yet, the farmers are in Bangkok. Tens of thousands of them. And they are not leaving. Nor have they stopped pressuring the administration. The fact that splinters within the Pheu Thai coalition are already happening is in itself interesting. Indeed - as one of farmers states here - this crippled caretaker administration has no longer the ability to deal with this. The sooner they step down, the sooner the farmers are more likely to be paid.

Edited by Scamper
  • Like 1

Anyone looking at the picture posted with this story will not be surprised that the administration was quite determined about this not taking place. And the only thing that could have deterred it would have been yet another promise. But now that the proposed event has been cancelled, the farmers enter yet another of the Yingluck administration's promised timelines. The problem is - with each one that is not met - simply angers the farmers even more. Although the administration has promised payment by next week, there is no way they can actually do it from any constitutional or practical means possible. 130 baht is a huge amount of money, and they are beyond the constitutional capacity to raise it. And yet, the farmers are in Bangkok. Tens of thousands of them. And they are not leaving. Nor have they stopped pressuring the administration. The fact that splinters within the Pheu Thai coalition are already happening is in itself interesting. Indeed - as one of farmers states here - this crippled caretaker administration has no longer the ability to deal with this. The sooner they step down, the sooner the farmers are more likely to be paid.

They've got one week to pay, then those farmers are coming back.

Then go back home again after been given another lame excuse or promise by the liar government.

I have a difficult time to believe what we are reading/seeing is real. Why would these farmers spend three days on the road to come to Bangkok, spend one night and then return to Essan or wherever it is they come from? Was the leaders of this group paid off for the purpose of taking these people home? No idea but all this just smacks of some sort of corruption.

I have a difficult time to believe what we are reading/seeing is real. Why would these farmers spend three days on the road to come to Bangkok, spend one night and then return to Essan or wherever it is they come from? Was the leaders of this group paid off for the purpose of taking these people home? No idea but all this just smacks of some sort of corruption.

I had similar thoughts. They agreed to go home after their leader who is a polli or ex such told them he'd discussed things with the PM and received assurances of payment next week (although other articles say 6 weeks).

I'd probably have thrown him under a hand tractor and kept going myself. They'll be back, maybe without him next time.

Edit: Apparently most outstanding payments are in the central and coastal eastern provinces, is not PTP heartland.

Edited by Crushdepth
  • Like 1

Not sure what happened with the quotes...but here's my reply anyway

Jeez mate it's only an airport. Lives lost, major battles, act of lunacy. Get a grip and settle down.

What you are seeing is a PR stunt - albeit a very good one. It has sucked in most of the posters here.

These farmers are bought and paid for by Thaksin and his cronies.

They will make a show of asking for their money (or a Red leader will anyway). They will be promised to be paid soon and all go home

This will have the effect of placating the real farmers who are doing it hard -they will think they will be paid soon because their agricultural brothers made a stand and beat the Government into submission - for a while anyway.

It will give YL and Co a few days breathing space until the farmers wake up to the fraud.

I don't think we have seen what the farmers can, and most likely will do yet.

Edited by Mudcrab

Shows the real side of Thailand , ripping off their own kind, what chance have we farang,s got......

sure, anyone who's spent time here knows that many thai's have no conscience about cheating, lying or conning each other be it 'friends' or family. all they care about it how to get 'money'

Then what do you suggest? And I mean to really have an IMPACT- as months of mere demonstrations in BKK is still not motivating PTP to do a whole heck of a lot.

Ahh the good old logic. I don't mind that my house is flooded, as long as everyone elses house is also flooded biggrin.png

The PTP already gave all my tax money to the farmers, and now that the PTP has run out of my tax money to give to the farmers, the farmers want to block the airport, to ensure that my business is ruined too, which besides ruining my life, also ensures I will not be able to pay any more taxes. And on top of that the farmers are asking for my sympathy biggrin.png

Suthep gave his 25 million baht donations he collected for the farmers, to the Law Society of Thailand, so that they can sue the Government. The farmers never received anything from Suthep.

The Law Society of Thailand is now accusing the police of shooting protesters.

What's your point?

The Law Society of Thailand should not accusing the police of shooting protesters?

What would you like it to be?

The EC are to blame for blocking the rice farmers payments and they should be charged with mismanagement and not YL?