webfact

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why the Airport?

Because it has the precedent of closing down the country and causing a past government to fall.

As much as I am against closing down anything, it would be good end-game ploy for Suthep to join with the farmers in declaring:-

"If the rice money is not paid in full by 28th February the protesters, and farmers, will descend on Suvarabhuni and Don Mueang airports with the intention of closing the airports until Yingluk resigns"

That should bring the army out and we will see a conclusion to the current round of events.

the way Sutheps numbers are dwindling and the way the army is split and caught up in the South and with Cobra Gold, they may just decide to get rid of him this time.

Coup number 19 in the opposite direction anybody want to bet. Be easier for them to put Suthep to bed than try and suppress a real protest movement that a dictatorship would set in train.

US top brass in thailand with Army now on Excercise, be very difficult for them to do anything that will annoy them. Might be having cobra gold else where if democracy fails.

I'm reading every post here and hearing much less about tens of thousands of farmers not they have switched from Suthep back to thier traditional camp. Hmmmm wonder why.

Rice Protesters Drop Plan To Seize Airport - For Now
By Khaosod English

13929620101392962078l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Farmers who have marched to Bangkok to demand payment from the government for their mortgaged rice have dropped their threats to seize the city's main airport.

The rice protesters arrived in the northern suburb of Rangsit district last night after a motorised march on their farming tractors from Ayutthaya. They claimed they had not received the payment they were promised under the government′s rice-pledging scheme for month, and they had no choice but to express their demands via the protests.

Although the scale of the farmers′ demonstration is small compared to anti-government campaign led by the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD), the farmers have drawn much attention after their leader threatened to occupy Suvarnabhumi Airport by today′s afternoon.

The announcement strokes fears that Thailand could see a repeat of the protest in 2008, in which anti-government protesters seized both Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Mueang Airport, causing massive disruption to the country′s air transportation.

Responding to the threat, administrators of the Suvarnabhumi Airport and the Airports of Thailand Company (AOT) assigned a large stretch of road near the airport as a protest ground for the farmers; officials hoped they would successfully convince the demonstrators to rally close to the airport rather than directly besieging the building itself.

Nevertheless, a number of riot police and soldiers were stationed at the airport in case of emergency.

But the tension was defused today when leader of the farmer protesters, Mr. Chada Thaiseth, a former MP of Chart Thai Pattana Party, said he has personally consulted with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday about the farmers′ distress, and he has been assured by Ms. Yingluck that the rice payment would arrive by next week.

Explaining that he is satisfied by the Prime Minister′s response, Mr. Chada urged the farmers to call off the protests and return to their home districts.

However, Mr. Chada also threatened to come back to Bangkok and besiege Suvarnabhumi Airport if the government breaks it promise.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1qazJNakF4TUE9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-21

Suthep is not going to take this very well. He has now lost the farmers. He still has he family tho to support him.

Let's hope this news doesn't make him lose the plot completely and make him start ranting and raving in the streets like some deranged fanatic. I'd hate to see that happen.

I urge rice farmers who wanted the rice pledging scheme to continue to forgive the misguided, misinformed, manipulated and maneuvered farmers. Ask them to rally to support the government that feed them, raised their standard of living and dignity, but was obstructed in many ways.

I have a feeling that they and their families back on the farms have been threatened to stop immediately by red thugs. Either that or they're the most trusting dullards on the face of God's earth.

My bet's on the first. ph34r.png

• Like 1

Unbelievable. Only in Thailand!

1,000 tractors return home on the strength of yet ANOTHER promise.

Maybe the early rains changed their mind…….

Pu must be so relieved. Only in Thailand!

Perhaps they have been informed the 'peoples council' supports a cap on the level of subsidy, and is not prepared to put diesel in their tractors for all three crops, or maybe the 'peoples Council' will follow the dems method of maintaining profit for the fertiliser producers and leaving the end price low, I wonder who gained the premium benefit on that little scheme?

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

Farmers from northern provinces return home

BANGKOK: -- About 10,000 farmers who travelled from the lower northern provinces to Bangkok resolved on Friday to return home rather than head to Suvarnabhumi airport for a rally.

The farmers decided to return home after their leader, dormer Chart Thai Pattana Party MP Chada Thaiset, was assured by the government that they would get their payments for their rice next week.

The farmers reached Ayutthaya's Bang Pa-in district Thursday and stayed overnight there. They travelled in about 1,000 farm tractors.

Sources said Chada met caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong and PM's Office Minister Varathep Ratanakorn at 8pm Thursday to discuss the farmers' demand that the government speed up their payments.

The sources said the talks achieved a "satisfactory result" and Chada promised to relay the outcome to the farmers.

The sources said the prime minister asked Chada to tell the farmers not to block the airport because the move would severely affect the country.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-21

So just where is the money magically going to appear from to make these very long overdue payments? A quiet deal with a bank somewhere along the lines I am guessing. And the name will be let slip very soon to confirm it. SCB?

i understand....;, BUT ..... if Sutheps " councel" should win where they go find the money for those farmers..... the problem still remains for them and so still another protesters stay... only much bigger & desperater ....solution another order to shoot to kill ..?? he knows how to give that order = prouven

I have a feeling that they and their families back on the farms have been threatened to stop immediately by red thugs. Either that or they're the most trusting dullards on the face of God's earth.

My bet's on the first. ph34r.png

Perhaps the realisation they are seen to be associated Suthep has brought a rapid turn about, accepting that payment will be made next week is a convenient escape route!! Not dullards at all then!!

Well looks like they just got lied to again, right into their faces. And they still believe they're going to get paid by this government. I guess you can't blame the desperate for having hope. It's the same as buying a lottery ticket and hoping to strike it rich.

Nope. They were given a face saving way out of being used by Suthep.

The farmers have a legitimate gripe, but they realize that the government has done its utmost to get them their money. It doesn't take a genius to realize that Suthep has done everything he can to block their payment.

The rice farmers may not have much love for the government, but they are not about to help a group of thugs who ridicule them and that has the potential to hurt them more.

that was the game from the beginning by Suthep , blocking everything by any means so payments / elections and more can not go , just creating chaos hoping the military should step in and side him so he could save his nek from the murder case , actions from a desperate loony , but dangerous for his country and a shame for the word "democraty "

Watching him with his bodylanguage and mouth Thaksin start looking like an angel (wich he aint ..! )

• Like 1

Farmers from northern provinces return home

BANGKOK: -- About 10,000 farmers who travelled from the lower northern provinces to Bangkok resolved on Friday to return home rather than head to Suvarnabhumi airport for a rally.

The farmers decided to return home after their leader, dormer Chart Thai Pattana Party MP Chada Thaiset, was assured by the government that they would get their payments for their rice next week.

The farmers reached Ayutthaya's Bang Pa-in district Thursday and stayed overnight there. They travelled in about 1,000 farm tractors.

Sources said Chada met caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong and PM's Office Minister Varathep Ratanakorn at 8pm Thursday to discuss the farmers' demand that the government speed up their payments.

The sources said the talks achieved a "satisfactory result" and Chada promised to relay the outcome to the farmers.

The sources said the prime minister asked Chada to tell the farmers not to block the airport because the move would severely affect the country.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-02-21

Sounds like Chada got his cheque laugh.png

• Like 1

that was the game from the beginning by Suthep , blocking everything by any means so payments / elections and more can not go , just creating chaos hoping the military should step in and side him so he could save his nek from the murder case , actions from a desperate loony , but dangerous for his country and a shame for the word "democraty "

Watching him with his bodylanguage and mouth Thaksin start looking like an angel (wich he aint ..! )

Couldn't agree more.

Democraty must be preserved at all costs whistling.gif

Certainly all credit is due to the farmers for taking their current action. However what sort of reaction can be expected if payment is not made as promised ?

Talk is cheap, however if those promises are not kept remember that ''revenge is a dish best eaten cold.''

The Shinwatra clique needs to tread very carefully, now they are putting themselves and their political cronies into a very dangerous corner if those promises are not fulfilled.

One is led to wonder just how long it may be before the Shinwatra family flee into the wide blue yonder and the desert sands this time and with how much money too.

Or his Lordship decides to finally open his wallet, to maintain at least his last piece of dignity, and pay back his cream. That's the only place left for payments to come back from.

I hope the government does pay next week it is getting beyond a joke now, how would you react if you worked hard for a company for six months then waited to get paid 5 months after you finished with only empty promises and a piece of paper ( that now has to be reissued )to hang your hat on , I am sure you would squeal pretty loud . If the government doesn't find the money next week I am looking forward to the way this will be spun in the media . If nothing else this government has the best spin doctors I have ever seen . I still remember Yingluck's photo last year with her hand over the map of Thailand saying there will be no floods in Thailand this year . All good PR unfortunately 3 weeks later this was proved wrong and the spin doctors come out in force . The best spin on the floods was some clown ( I am sure someone will remember his name ) said " Bangkok is safe from flooding I have ordered boats in the river to be facing up stream and push the water out to sea with their propellers " LOL. All I am saying is this administration is very adept at laying the blame elsewhere and never face their own inadaquicies.

Anyone else find this really peculiar? They travel all the way from the Northern parts of Thailand on a tractor to bangkok and just like that they go back home. What makes this day so special that now Yingluck is telling to truth and now her promise is really going to be fulfilled?

I don't know but this feels really fishy to me. All that trouble to go to bangkok. A letter or an email would have sufficed.

The farmers are in a tough spot. The current government hasn't paid them yet, but if the government falls to Suthep or a military coup they won't ever get paid. Their best bet is to continually remind the government how pissed off they are without actually toppling it, which is what they appear to be doing.

I don’t think so, firstly Shutup has started a street collection to assist the farmers as best they can, and secondly the military knows the plight of the farmers and they are fully aware of the value of the farmer, unlike the persistent government at the moment who can’t seem to see the writing on the wall.

• Like 1

Well looks like they just got lied to again, right into their faces. And they still believe they're going to get paid by this government. I guess you can't blame the desperate for having hope. It's the same as buying a lottery ticket and hoping to strike it rich.

The farmers have a legitimate gripe, but they realize that the government has done its utmost to get them their money. It doesn't take a genius to realize that Suthep has done everything he can to block their payment.

The rice farmers may not have much love for the government, but they are not about to help a group of thugs who ridicule them and that has the potential to hurt them more.

If the government had done their utmost to get them their money, they'd have it wouldn't they? Probably last October, no?

Whatever your preference in this sorry political debacle, the farmers/rice/money issue is an obvious example of a dishonest mistake

Central Plains farmers end rally but southwestern planters won’t budge
By Digital Content

13929629498672-640x390x2.jpg

AYUTTHAYA, Feb 21 – Farmers from several central provinces agreed to call off their demonstration today after the caretaker government’s promise on due payments from the rice pledging scheme next week, but the planter rally at the Commerce Ministry continued for the third week.

Former Chatthaipattana MP Chada Thaiseth announced through a loudspeaker informing farmers, mostly from Uthai Thani, that he met with caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday and was promised that farmers would get their payments next week.

Farmers decided to disperse and return home to wait for the payments while Mr Chada said farmers would gather again and move to Suvarnabhumi Airport should the government break the promise.

However, farmers of the Thai Farmers Network, mostly from southwestern provinces, carried on their demonstration at the Commerce Ministry which has been completely sealed off, preventing officials from entering the building to work.

A group of farmers was separately heading to close the office of the International Trade Promotion Department on Ratchdapisek Road and submit a letter to the Office of the Ombudsman.

They wanted ombudsmen to accelerate rice corruption investigation and launch a nationwide stock-check at rice mills given reports that rice from the subsidy scheme has disappeared from many warehouses.

They stood firm that they would not be involved in the closure of Suvarnabhumi Airport as threatened by central region farmers.

They said they would continue their rally at the Commerce Ministry to pressure for the ouster of Ms Yingluck to pave the way for a new, fully-authorised government to run the country and solve farmers’ problems. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-21

Anyone else find this really peculiar? They travel all the way from the Northern parts of Thailand on a tractor to bangkok and just like that they go back home. What makes this day so special that now Yingluck is telling to truth and now her promise is really going to be fulfilled?

I don't know but this feels really fishy to me. All that trouble to go to bangkok. A letter or an email would have sufficed.

Well, social media chatter was that these guys were sent by PTP in the first place.

I hope not. I hope that PTP actually found the money somehow and these people can get paid.

I am no PTP fan but I would like to see the farmers get paid.

Perhaps they have been shown something PTP kept under wraps

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Sure hope they got petrol money to go home, as the loose-cannon Buddha demanded 120,000 baht for cancellation of the rooms at the hotel and was paid 120,000 baht!

Why Suvarnabhumi Airport because "Don Mueang was to close to anti-government camp, they said they wanted to distant themselves from politics"

The farmers also stated that" They are not afraid of being disbursed by the police because they believed the police understand the farmers difficulties and their right to redress"

source B.P. newspaper 2-21-14

Lop Buri based farmers also stated "said they would not cooperate with the anti-government PDRC reform committee to oust the government"

Nation's article attempted to misrepresent their article by stating the farmers came "to push a bid for the government to resign!. source Nation article

It was crystal clear to the farmers that the news media was attempting to state the farmers came to Bangkok to aid in the overthrow of the government, which had nothing to do with their goal of being paid for their rice!

The farmers based their decision to return home on the promise of the government to paid them asap for their rice and not allow the anti-government to claim the semblance that they were adding to the problems faced by the government!

Cheers

• Like 2

GK wrote: but they realize that the government has done its utmost to get them their money

Tell me how? By stealing it first, hoping that nobody would notice? By making empty promises just to buy time? By constantly delaying the payments? By avoiding to talk to them? By accusing the protest to be the cause of their failure to pay? By keeping the rice rotting in silos? By burning silos to conceal the fact that rice was not there?

• Like 1