What type of expat are you?

HalcyonDays

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, you need to get your definitions of what an ex-pat is correct before starting a thread like this. Yes, everyone has their own interpretation but yours seems to be based on how much a person earns as opposed to the reasons they decide to voluntarily absent themselves from their home or country (dictionary meaning of ex-pat..........wink.png )

Your first two subjects, Proper Expat & Mini Expat don't work as in some cases, the jobs they are sent overseas for are essentially what the employer decides, not what the employee wants.

As for the rest of your categories, I wouldn't fit into any of them and I can't think of a name for a category that would cover my reasons, and that of many thousands of others, for being here.

As a matter of interest, where do you think you fit in your list?

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 2

So, I guess since I am young (31) and a teacher, I am bumming around.

Oh wait, I'm sorry. I put the time in and have a proper teaching degree, certificate, and clearances from the US and I teach International students.

I guess I am a "I'm here because I like Thailand and I don't give a <deleted> about what bored people on TV think" -pat.

What about the "married pats"?

Those of us who are here to be with the woman and children we love.

There can be a variety of reasons why they can not or will not come to our home countries and so we come to live here with them.

And some like me who are happy to get out of their home country and experience a new place and culture with our families.

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

Patriot means strong support for ones country, ex means ''was'' or ''not anymore'', soooooooooooo, l am not an expat cos l am still a patriot. smile.png .

The terminology pertaining to this thread is ex-patriate not ex-patriot.

Could you expatiate further, please?

Patriot means strong support for ones country, ex means ''was'' or ''not anymore'', soooooooooooo, l am not an expat cos l am still a patriot. smile.png .

Well you get on to the OP to give the full spelling regarding his/her topic title, theres a good chap. thumbsup.gif

"What type of expat are you?"

The worst type, of course.

As for "old pats" being short of money, that depends. Personally I'm much better off now that I'm retired here as my income is about the same as before but my outgoings are much less (no tax, no work travel costs, no other work-related costs etc). And my capital situation is terrific having downsized from a large expensive European house to a nice Jomtien sea-view condo worth under 10% of what the house was, thus multiplying my investments/savings by a factor of two in the process.

thus multiplying my investments/savings by a factor of two in the process.

Why don't you just say "doubling"?

In addition, you can't use the word "thus" since you've not stated your investments/savings were initially worth about 90% of the value of your house.

Which brings me to: Pedantic Pats.

Well you get on to the OP to give the full spelling regarding his/her topic title, theres a good chap. thumbsup.gif

Wouldn't "ex-pate" be a polite term for a baldie?

Edited by HalcyonDays
  • Like 1

Wouldn't "ex-pate" be a polite term for a baldie?

And fattie for the women ?

Actually, I rather like your description of "Criminal Pats".

Criminal Pats

Some Criminal Pats are hard core and need to be avoided at all costs. Other Criminal Pats came here a long time ago and have reformed. Those that have reformed are usually anonymous and never talk about the past. It's up to you how you judge these people.

It raises a number of questions, especially about reform. If you include reformed persons who were perhaps criminals before leaving their own country but have lived in Thailand for may years and have left the criminal tendencies behind, never been accused of an offence in Thailand and lead a honest and industrious lifestyle today, then would you still consider that person to be a criminal ?

• Like 1