Thai rice-plediging scheme: Farmers to be paid via issuance of public bonds

webfact

Yellow shirts dont like this story because they want to block the payments for as long as possible.

The farmers know this and know that the real enemy is the 2 faces yellow shirts .... nothing has changed.

They will get their money and next election they will vote a pro thaksin gov back in to power... again and again and again

Not only are they upset that the farmers will be paid, they saw their grand dream fall apart in front of their eyes the real farmers of the central provinces realized they were playing into the hands of the anti government folks wanted no part of it and went home.

The government clearly stated they would meet with the farmers that were interested in getting paid for their rice, as they had met with the group around government house, that walked out of the meeting, bad move, If you need to pay farmers pay those that abide by the law and do not have a political agenda.

As it is clear all farmers will not be paid immediately, let those that have a political agenda be the last to be paid!

Cheers

The government has stated many times in the last 2 months that the farmers will be paid on this date or that date but oddly enough the farmers STILL have not been paid.

What makes you think that the latest offer will happen?

If it does then good for the farmers and if it doesn't who will Yingluck and Kittirat blame next?

There aren't many people left in Thailand who haven't been blamed yet except of course the real people to blame which is Thaksin, Yingluck and the PTP caretaker government and they will NEVER lose face and accept that it IS their fault 100%.

• Like 2

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" He said it would depend on the specific policies of each state enterprise as to whether they would be interested or allowed to invest in future bonds. "

In other words, Kittirat is just speaking off the top of his head. And these are the kinds of assurances that compelled the farmers to return to their homes after months of deception ? ( Where's that Brooklyn Bridge deed ? )

Indeed the farmers will just come back when the next " plan " fizzles. So now he's got the farmers waiting an additional six weeks, if they are owed 500,000 baht. What if they're owed 1,000,000 baht ? This shell game is not only a stalling tactic, that's all it can be, because the government's hands are tied. Can you imagine what they would be spending and allocating if they were actually in power ? No more public posturing then. Back to the deals behind closed doors.

I have a lot more understanding of the agricultural sector than you imagine, and it is not just the rice crop that is now being affected, other government policies are causing problems too.

But please go ahead, buy some binds for you "karma" - I would prefer to rely more on sound financial analysis, rather than bleeding heart ideology.

I hope you can feed your kids on "karma" or if you have so much money that you can waste some, why not put it to some better direct use - there are a lot of things you can contribute to directly through charities and NGOs that would have a lot more benefit than buying junk bonds that carry no guarantee that the proceeds go to the deserving.

Do something positive for Thailand and the community for a change

Not trying to stir your pot but Please explain your position in plain English please. Just one simple sentence would be nice and I will thank you..

I have a lot more understanding of the agricultural sector than you imagine, and it is not just the rice crop that is now being affected, other government policies are causing problems too.

But please go ahead, buy some binds for you "karma" - I would prefer to rely more on sound financial analysis, rather than bleeding heart ideology.

I hope you can feed your kids on "karma" or if you have so much money that you can waste some, why not put it to some better direct use - there are a lot of things you can contribute to directly through charities and NGOs that would have a lot more benefit than buying junk bonds that carry no guarantee that the proceeds go to the deserving.

I once witnessed a guy who worked for a well known charity retire, and drive away with a 'company' BMW as a thank you

I witnessed a person in a charity that was paid 30% more for the same position I held, with 50% less responsibiity, and I was paid way above the going rate by an IT company

I worked for an ECO charity for a short while until I could no longer stand the hypocrisy

So please don't advise me where my money should go thanks

Feed my kids? guess what!! farmers grow their own rice!! They grow their own mangoes and papaya, they grow their own bananas, they take fish from the farm, they take farm crab for salad, rural economy, how the hell do you think the rural communities have survived on the crap returns they have been handed down over the years!!

Get a grip man!

• Like 2

False Kittiratt. This is also illegal. Bonds are debts and the government needs to pay interest over their debts.

The only thing the government can do is beg for money, pray for donations or sell their rice.

Selling rice on the open international market seems to be quite a reach when this government is accused of dumping rice out the back door against international marketing/trade rules. If true YL should be jailed immediately..

• Like 2

Not trying to stir your pot but Please explain your position in plain English please. Just one simple sentence would be nice and I will thank you..

Quite simple.

The Thai government has been embarked on studying an agricultural zoning program, looking at the crops down to field level and trying to provide solutions to increase yields, switch crop types where it is advantageous, lower pesticide and nitrates use to increase quality, manage the irrigation water supplies, warning systems against crop pests etc.

This is a complex scheme for which overseas aid money (funds from other countries) and foreign expertise can help and I have been part of trying to make this happen.

To get such funding needs thorough and comprehensive financial analysis on the cost and benefits, societal, commercial and in terms of the world markets.

Contrast that to the debacle of the rice-pledging scheme, and dubious financial engineering to support it, and you will realise how hard a task it is now to get foreign donors to support this administration.

• Like 1

I once witnessed a guy who worked for a well known charity retire, and drive away with a 'company' BMW as a thank you

I witnessed a person in a charity that was paid 30% more for the same position I held, with 50% less responsibiity, and I was paid way above the going rate by an IT company

I worked for an ECO charity for a short while until I could no longer stand the hypocrisy

Feed my kids? guess what!! farmers grow their own rice!! They grow their own mangoes and papaya, they grow their own bananas, they take fish from the farm, they take farm crab for salad, rural economy, how the hell do you think the rural communities have survived on the crap returns they have been handed down over the years!!

Get a grip man!

If you are thinking of investing in government bonds on the basis of "ideology" then you do need advice on your finances

the old saying is true, a fool and his money are soon parted - ideological fools are the worst

Get a grip man!

If you are thinking of investing in government bonds on the basis of "ideology" then you do need advice on your finances

the old saying is true, a fool and his money are soon parted - ideological fools are the worst

Oh dear such a predictable attempt to insult as a last resort, never the less thanks for your offer of financial advice

A donation to any cause does not register on my financial situation, I treat all such 'donations' as a write off, you see I don't have expectations of any return smile.png I think your advice may be better directed at those who do, or those who wish to donate 90p to administration and 10p to the cause biggrin.png been there seen that!

Get a grip man!

Oh dear such a predictable attempt to insult as a last resort, never the less thanks for your offer of financial advice

A donation to any cause does not register on my financial situation, I treat all such 'donations' as a write off, you see I don't have expectations of any return smile.png I think your advice may be better directed at those who do, or those who wish to donate 90p to administration and 10p to the cause biggrin.png been there seen that!

See post #100

There are a lot of other ways to help farmers and the agricultural community rather than disastrous rice-pledging schemes and dubious bonds

try reading up on the issue

So the Thailand Government is going into the Junk Bond business.

That's what brought down the USA and world economies,

when it became obvious the bonds were worthless.

And how can the caretaker government out out bonds,

when they don't have the POWERS to put future governments into debt?

What are Gov. Bonds but a form of debt?

• Like 2

After the amnesty bill, and the rice pledging I was wondering what would be the third strike.

Seems that the government intend it to be sovereign bonds

It is the worst idea they have had this week, and that is saying something. The spectre of 1997 is still not dead.

See post #100

There are a lot of other ways to help farmers and the agricultural community rather than disastrous rice-pledging schemes and dubious bonds

try reading up on the issue

Indeed my wife is helping a friend and heighbour hold a party to send his son off to the temple to make merit, the whole farming village community will eat and drink, a happy occasion for all

No NGOs or charities in sight, paid for no doubt the same way as his recently purchased truck,(which he uses to taxi me on occasion), by the increase in revenue for his rice crop over the last couple of years.....smile.png

Attending the party will be my uncle, who my wife pays for ploughing her land, also another uncle who will be drunk, from him my wife purchases the fresh best eggs, also present another uncle who my wife pays for the broadcasting of seed and the tilling in(His wife will also be helping with the food) also my brother in law who my wife pays for any building work and renovations to the the farm buildings.

My friend who is having the party is the son of the next door neighbour an old but proud man, and friend, who I anjoyed assisting with drying his rice for a couple of days

Yes there are may ways to help in the rural farming community....smile.png

And you?

After the amnesty bill, and the rice pledging I was wondering what would be the third strike.

Seems that the government intend it to be sovereign bonds

It is the worst idea they have had this week, and that is saying something. The spectre of 1997 is still not dead.

totally agree

If they issue sovereign bonds is it possible that the central bank of thailand would buy them lol, that would be a big nail in the coffin

Chada showing suthep how statesmen operate.

Vayupak fund, thought the government had no cash?

Vayupak Fund. Second largest shareholder in SC Bank, after CPB.

http://www.scb.co.th/en/about-scb/investor-relations/company-information/shareholder-structure

So, first from SCB's point of view and then from the institutional investors point of view, what is your take on this?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

not sure how many people work in the civil service sector in Thailand but it must be considerable numbers - probably the largest employment sector in the country, so lets go back the election promises - how much extra did the minimum wage cost in tax revenue

There are so many unknown aspects of government financials and even when they give out information can any of it be trusted, are we fast approaching a point were the government are not going to have the money to pay salaries, they seem to owe a considerable electricity bill which has gone unpaid, the upgrading of police facilities ground to a halt, it seems that applications for loans is the only way PTP has left to meet its financial commitments - has Thaksin done what I predicted he was going to do 2 years ago and driven this country into the ground

At this point I'd like to see the full accurate government financial status - I have a feeling it's not pretty, next we are going to see public service employees not getting their wages - you heard it here first

• Like 1

Can't wait to see how the financial dunce, Kittirat, is going to make this one work.

The general public who have money to deposit and understand how to subscribe to government bond issues probably has a similar profile to the folks who withdraw their savings from GSB, only higher up the socio economic ladder and even more likely to hate Thaksin. There is also the issue of what interest rate should be paid on government bonds that won't have a legal government bonds, i.e. there is not an absolute obligation to repay. We have seen how the government deals with non-binding obligations in the way they cynically didn't even bother to prepare funding for the rice they planned to buy in October.

Obviously Kittirat is going to have to rely on putting pressure on the Vayupak fund and state enterprises to subscribe to the bonds. For Vayupak the amount needed is half of its asset size. So at best it might be able to subscribe B10 billion and even that would disrupt the stock market due to sales of shares in listed state enterprises like PTT to raise funds. State enterprises will risk boycotts and union actions, as staff will leak the information of who subscribed to the bonds.

It's a shame the rice farmers have gone unpaid for so many months.

If these proposals are truly viable, why weren't they implemented many months ago?

It is a shame, indeed. The PM did not do her job. She was sitting on the case and her brother did not tell her what to do.

There is no Thai rice on the market so how can dumping occur? Meanwhile because of the lack of Thai rice on the international marketplace, rice prices are realizing all time highs benefiting countries like Mynamar. When Thai rice does get to the market, no doubt prices will fall but I don't think below reasonable and fair pricing levels. In other words, when Thai rice does get to the market in a "dribble out" strategy, it should realize substantial proceeds. Granted some people want to see Thailand fail on its sales so as to further disgrace the government but what then of the farmers? Is there no shame to which parties seek to interfer with the government rice sales and payments to farmers just to advance their own political agendas?

Wow, brilliant plan, sell the rice!, you should get in contact with the Commerce Ministry ASAP and share it with them.

Just to prove how much daylight there is between were you stand and reality:

"rice prices are realizing all time highs"

Go to this page and see the market prices for rice: Rice Monthly Price - US Dollars per Metric Ton

Month Price Change Jan 2009 615.25 - Feb 2009 634.00 3.05 % Mar 2009 625.25 -1.38 % Apr 2009 577.25 -7.68 % May 2009 540.75 -6.32 % Jun 2009 548.60 1.45 % Jul 2009 623.00 13.56 % Aug 2009 576.25 -7.50 % Sep 2009 593.67 3.02 % Oct 2009 566.25 -4.62 % Nov 2009 566.25 0.00 % Dec 2009 606.00 7.02 % Jan 2010 598.00 -1.32 % Feb 2010 584.75 -2.22 % Mar 2010 540.13 -7.63 % Apr 2010 502.23 -7.02 % May 2010 472.48 -5.92 % Jun 2010 458.55 -2.95 % Jul 2010 470.68 2.65 % Aug 2010 486.86 3.44 % Sep 2010 519.95 6.80 % Oct 2010 533.13 2.53 % Nov 2010 543.14 1.88 % Dec 2010 536.78 -1.17 % Jan 2011 528.38 -1.56 % Feb 2011 532.80 0.84 % Mar 2011 508.96 -4.47 % Apr 2011 500.57 -1.65 % May 2011 500.55 0.00 % Jun 2011 518.09 3.50 % Jul 2011 546.19 5.42 % Aug 2011 577.30 5.70 % Sep 2011 615.55 6.63 % Oct 2011 602.14 -2.18 % Nov 2011 609.09 1.15 % Dec 2011 580.91 -4.63 % Jan 2012 541.06 -6.86 % Feb 2012 547.48 1.19 % Mar 2012 577.05 5.40 % Apr 2012 585.95 1.54 % May 2012 612.43 4.52 % Jun 2012 606.14 -1.03 % Jul 2012 578.36 -4.58 % Aug 2012 582.87 0.78 % Sep 2012 590.50 1.31 % Oct 2012 584.74 -0.98 % Nov 2012 590.73 1.02 % Dec 2012 565.52 -4.27 % Jan 2013 573.39 1.39 % Feb 2013 574.07 0.12 % Mar 2013 564.52 -1.66 % Apr 2013 553.73 -1.91 % May 2013 552.09 -0.30 % Jun 2013 546.25 -1.06 % Jul 2013 538.26 -1.46 % Aug 2013 503.82 -6.40 % Sep 2013 470.00 -6.71 % Oct 2013 453.26 -3.56 % Nov 2013 448.81 -0.98 % Dec 2013 447.55 -0.28 %

Rice prices are the lowest (and dropping) since at least 2009, which is the exact opposite of your claim that "rice prices are realizing all time highs"

Good post. Saved me searching.

The other point to add is that if rice is being shipped out the back door to Indonesia and beyond then that will be another legal battle for the Rice Queen

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is no Thai rice on the market so how can dumping occur? Meanwhile because of the lack of Thai rice on the international marketplace, rice prices are realizing all time highs benefiting countries like Mynamar. When Thai rice does get to the market, no doubt prices will fall but I don't think below reasonable and fair pricing levels. In other words, when Thai rice does get to the market in a "dribble out" strategy, it should realize substantial proceeds. Granted some people want to see Thailand fail on its sales so as to further disgrace the government but what then of the farmers? Is there no shame to which parties seek to interfer with the government rice sales and payments to farmers just to advance their own political agendas?

Wow, brilliant plan, sell the rice!, you should get in contact with the Commerce Ministry ASAP and share it with them.

Go to this page and see the market prices for rice: Rice Monthly Price - US Dollars per Metric Ton

Month Price Change Jan 2009 615.25 - Feb 2009 634.00 3.05 % Mar 2009 625.25 -1.38 % Apr 2009 577.25 -7.68 % May 2009 540.75 -6.32 % Jun 2009 548.60 1.45 % Jul 2009 623.00 13.56 % Aug 2009 576.25 -7.50 % Sep 2009 593.67 3.02 % Oct 2009 566.25 -4.62 % Nov 2009 566.25 0.00 % Dec 2009 606.00 7.02 % Jan 2010 598.00 -1.32 % Feb 2010 584.75 -2.22 % Mar 2010 540.13 -7.63 % Apr 2010 502.23 -7.02 % May 2010 472.48 -5.92 % Jun 2010 458.55 -2.95 % Jul 2010 470.68 2.65 % Aug 2010 486.86 3.44 % Sep 2010 519.95 6.80 % Oct 2010 533.13 2.53 % Nov 2010 543.14 1.88 % Dec 2010 536.78 -1.17 % Jan 2011 528.38 -1.56 % Feb 2011 532.80 0.84 % Mar 2011 508.96 -4.47 % Apr 2011 500.57 -1.65 % May 2011 500.55 0.00 % Jun 2011 518.09 3.50 % Jul 2011 546.19 5.42 % Aug 2011 577.30 5.70 % Sep 2011 615.55 6.63 % Oct 2011 602.14 -2.18 % Nov 2011 609.09 1.15 % Dec 2011 580.91 -4.63 % Jan 2012 541.06 -6.86 % Feb 2012 547.48 1.19 % Mar 2012 577.05 5.40 % Apr 2012 585.95 1.54 % May 2012 612.43 4.52 % Jun 2012 606.14 -1.03 % Jul 2012 578.36 -4.58 % Aug 2012 582.87 0.78 % Sep 2012 590.50 1.31 % Oct 2012 584.74 -0.98 % Nov 2012 590.73 1.02 % Dec 2012 565.52 -4.27 % Jan 2013 573.39 1.39 % Feb 2013 574.07 0.12 % Mar 2013 564.52 -1.66 % Apr 2013 553.73 -1.91 % May 2013 552.09 -0.30 % Jun 2013 546.25 -1.06 % Jul 2013 538.26 -1.46 % Aug 2013 503.82 -6.40 % Sep 2013 470.00 -6.71 % Oct 2013 453.26 -3.56 % Nov 2013 448.81 -0.98 % Dec 2013 447.55 -0.28 %

Rice prices are the lowest (and dropping) since at least 2009, which is the exact opposite of your claim that "rice prices are realizing all time highs"

The other point to add is that if rice is being shipped out the back door to Indonesia and beyond then that will be another legal battle for the Rice Queen

If you want to check mark to market prices:

http://oryza.com/

Chada showing suthep how statesmen operate.

Vayupak fund, thought the government had no cash?

Vayupak Fund. Second largest shareholder in SC Bank, after CPB.

http://www.scb.co.th/en/about-scb/investor-relations/company-information/shareholder-structure

So, first from SCB's point of view and then from the institutional investors point of view, what is your take on this?

I merely posted the information as it might be pertinent to the discussion on this thread. As for my take on the matter, I prefer to let those with more financial acumen make the comments.

"Rather to be thought a fool.... etc." Ya know the saying..

What is interesting is the statement that farmers will be paid in a week or two. The issuing of these proposed bonds in the open financial market is going to take a day or two to organize and to actually process the payment for the bonds prior to the minimal chance of the farmers being paid promptly in the promised time frame if at all.

Yet again we are treated to the spectacle of a floundering sinking caretaker administration fighting to retain its grip on both power and money.

How long before their authority to take such a course of action is challenged ?

The Shinwatra clan thrives on the distortion of the truth (lies) false hopes and promises of ''jam or in this case cash tomorrow.''

I personally like many others too will not be holding my breath until my family actually receive the monies due to them under the Rice pledging scam scheme.

01_jam_tomorrow.jpg

• Like 2

If you want to check mark to market prices:

http://oryza.com/

From that link:

Thai 5% broken rice is today shown about $430 per ton, down about $10 per ton from a week and a month ago and down about $120 per ton from a year ago. - See more at: http://oryza.com/reports/oryza-wri/oryza-white-rice-index-%E2%80%93-global-weather-forecasters-monitor-signs-el-ni%C3%B1o-while#sthash.ML1M7ldw.dpuf
Thai 5% broken rice is today shown about $430 per ton, down about $10 per ton from a week and a month ago and down about $120 per ton from a year ago. - See more at: http://oryza.com/reports/oryza-wri/oryza-white-rice-index-%E2%80%93-global-weather-forecasters-monitor-signs-el-ni%C3%B1o-while#sthash.mstsDfKX.dpuf

Thai 5% broken rice is today shown about $430 per ton, down about $10 per ton from a week and a month ago and down about $120 per ton from a year ago.

Thai 5% broken rice is today shown about $430 per ton, down about $10 per ton from a week and a month ago and down about $120 per ton from a year ago. - See more at: http://oryza.com/reports/oryza-wri/oryza-white-rice-index-%E2%80%93-global-weather-forecasters-monitor-signs-el-ni%C3%B1o-while#sthash.mstsDfKX.dpuf

The Rice Scheme is not as much a "success" but rather more like a Phyrric Victory, minus the Victory part.

• Like 1

Yellow shirts dont like this story because they want to block the payments for as long as possible.

The farmers know this and know that the real enemy is the 2 faces yellow shirts .... nothing has changed.

They will get their money and next election they will vote a pro thaksin gov back in to power... again and again and again

They'll get their money eh? They'll forget how they were treated? They'll vote for Thaksin no matter what happens? Do I detect a note of hysteria?

• Like 1

Not only are they upset that the farmers will be paid, they saw their grand dream fall apart in front of their eyes the real farmers of the central provinces realized they were playing into the hands of the anti government folks wanted no part of it and went home.

The government clearly stated they would meet with the farmers that were interested in getting paid for their rice, as they had met with the group around government house, that walked out of the meeting, bad move, If you need to pay farmers pay those that abide by the law and do not have a political agenda.

As it is clear all farmers will not be paid immediately, let those that have a political agenda be the last to be paid!

Cheers

The caretakers were told in no uncertain terms that they were not allowed to do anything that increases debt.

This will be just one more of Yingluck's follies. With any luck, it'll be the one that causes the blade to drop.

• Like 1

Why not, instead of hatching another scheme about bonds, don't Yingluk and ThankSin offer each of the farmers a SuperLotto ticket for 50 mil in the next draw and call it even. Odds of getting their money are probably better and they might even buy it.

• Like 1