International Driving Permits still valid?

STEALTH K3

Before I got my Thai driving license I showed my DIP several times and the officer obviously didn't know what it was. So no problem. I think that the DIP is valid for 6 months; if you have an accident after that time then your insurance won't pay.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Before I got my Thai driving license I showed my DIP several times and the officer obviously didn't know what it was. So no problem. I think that the DIP is valid for 6 months; if you have an accident after that time then your insurance won't pay.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

From what I have read the permit is valid for a year and it can only be used for a maximum of 60 day's for one times use if that makes sense

• Like 1

If you have a UK licence (photo card) you don't need an IDP to get a Thai License.

Thanks but the minimum I will need will be the IDP as my UK license is only for the EU

IDP adds nothing to legal validity in Thailand, but may be useful to satisfy the BIB and/or to use as collateral in case of a fine.

• Like 1

If you have a UK licence (photo card) you don't need an IDP to get a Thai License.

Thanks but the minimum I will need will be the IDP as my UK license is only for the EU

A DL from your home country, if with a photo and in English, is legal in Thailand for tourists. An IDP is not legally required, but it doesn't hurt to have. Just be sure to get a proper one from an auto club and not off the internet, as those are all bogus and many times the price of a legitimate IDP. Resident expats need a Thai license to be legal.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1