Cheap but Good Fruits of Thailand

CzarThustraThusSpake

Very interesting how you call a ladyboy in New Zealand.... (NOT).

Even wikipedia uses the word fruitS so i continue using it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_culinary_fruits

I like to see fruits growing when i look in my garden. At the moment i see mango's, passionfruits, pomelo, sugarapples hanging on the tree's but in a few years i hope to see abiu's, avocado's, pulasans, marangs, jaboticaba's, cambui, achacha's and much more.

Thai pineapples are really great at the moment, i like the small ones the most. Also mangosteen is on the markets again now and the yellow jackfruits are also very sweet at the moment. Many days i eat fruit for lunch and i love it.

It really is a blessing that we live in a place where, if we have the time and a little bit of land, we can grow a heck of a lot of valuable fruit.

What I don't have too much of is time to wait.

So I wish I had begun earlier to plan a few plantings of an acre of fruit.

I am not sure how much work it would be, but the main thing you need is time.

So, if you have the time, then plant your fruit.

Still, I am lucky to be able to buy it so cheaply here.

Edited by CzarThustraThusSpake

Health ministry warns of increasing use of formalin by vendors at fresh markets

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/health-ministry-warns-increasing-use-formalin-vendors-fresh-markets/

I know that fish is preserved with this chemical, but I think that we are safe if we know our street seller. What I see them doing is peeling the fruit, slicing it, then inserting it in plastic envelopes with a wooden skewer to keep the envelope sealed. The fruit is on ice and is usually sold within an hour or so. If they are spraying any of this fruit with water laden chemicals I have not seen it.

From your article, I read the following:

"He said consumers of food with high formalin content will experience severe headache, chest pains and stomachache, vomiting and diarrhea.

But he advised that consumers could test vegetables for formalin by smelling their leaves or breaking their stems and smelling them.

If they have a strong smell and cause irritation, they should not buy them."

I have never suffered headaches from eating this fruit. I am not going to worry about this with everything else going on in our lives.

Somor is uneatable even for most Thais. My wife tells me that she only wanted this when she was pregnant. I have seen it in the markets occasionally .

Another thing: I have often found that fruit in Macro is cheaper than in the market.

I can also assure you that many crops cannot be cultivated in Thailand without heavy use of pesticides (thinking of melons and cucumbers in particular but many others ).

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Speaking of inedible fruit that some people here like:

A few days ago, I bought what I thought were small oranges. I am not referring to the fruit that looks like Kumquats, which are sour, and which I love to eat every winter.

I am talking about fruit that is just about the same size as a squash ball.

The problem with this fruit is that it has what I consider a bitter terrible taste that is something like the taste of the orange, but one that is just about devoid of all goodness. Probably you know what this is, it is greenish orange on the outside, and looks like a peeled orange when you take the skin off.

I brought back 35Baht of these in a plastic bag, but after trying one, and not wishing to throw away what I just paid 35 Baht to buy, I tried asking the lady here who manages my apartment, and she was happy to enjoy these, but she told me that they are not oranges.

What are they?

I do not know, but they are sure an acquired taste that I will not have time to acquire if I live very long in Thailand, which I hope to.

• 4 weeks later...
Thai pineapples are really great at the moment, i like the small ones the most

The small one are great, used to only find them when driving down south on stall at the side of the road, but last couple of years there is a lady outside the local village market with here pickup full, you can buy by the KG 30 baht, or cut and only 40 baht per KG... these Pineapples are rounds and the size of large oranges... difficult for me to eat as all my 8 dogs love them and go crazy to get a bit.

• 9 months later...

I grow acerola cherries. Sour but really good and have a huge amount of vitamin C.

Planting fruit from seeds can sometimes be hit or miss. Often the tree if it does grow will be sterile and won't fruit. Cuttings or grafts usually are the best ways to grow fruit trees.

Usually will take about 5-10 years for a tree to grow from seed to fully fruiting. You can force grow a tree and get fruite in 2-3 years but it can stunt the growth.

I had a wonderful lynchee that fruited at 3 years. It gave about 2 kilos of the sweetest fruit, however it hasn't fruited in the past 5 years after that. I will probably have to create a nutrient/fertilizer cycle. I also will prune it back and thin out the top branches so each branch has more air circulation. It just takes time and more effort than I have right now.

Did you start your acerola's from cuttings? Any idea where I could find some?

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Are mangosteen being sold anywhere now or are they absolutely done for the year?

I am locatd in Nonthaburi, just came back fom NongKhai, kon kean, chiang kean .. I didn't see one mangosteen for sale

Anyone see any still available in BKk?

Edited by mrjon