My 24 y/o Niece is Coming to Thailand tomorrow to do Some Backpacking Alone.

telldem

I've got several nieces about her age.

If they decided to visit me in Thailand (It would be against my advice), I'd Google and print out the stories of recent tragedies- rapes, murders, death by insecticide, full moon assaults, spiked drinks, scooter deaths, etc. A few pictures from a Thai newspaper could be more impactful than all the words I could come up with.

Oh come on... you could do the same with any country or city. Following your advise no one would see any new place. Safety is important, but allowing fear to dictate what one sees and explores then better to stay at home and watch your local news and see how 'dangerous' even home is.

Get out there and explore and drink it all in, See the world and enjoy it all. If you practice caution (not fear) and be smart you will be fine.

There are a thousand ways to victimize people who aren't familiar with the culture and the infrastructure outside of their protected little cocoons "back home". There's also 1000 ways to get injured or killed if you've been accustomed to great traffic enforcement, buses that have actual safety requirements, balcony railings that are built to a code, electricity that stays in the wires, etc, etc.

Just as I'd warn Thai travelers going to the mean streets of the USA about the dangers of "free cell phones", "90 days same as cash", and guys selling Rolexes out of the trunks of their cars, I think it's prudent to educate a young western visitor to Thailand about the differences she's going to encounter and the situations best to avoid.

Thai newspaper photos just accelerate the knowledge retention process. You just can't unsee many of them.

Edited by impulse

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live near Khao Sarn road - I see many many of similar girls doing what your niece is doing every year - So this is not an unusual thing.

There are also thousands of young individual travelers on Khao Sarn road doing the same as your niece, but importantly all helping each other.

There is a strong bond and helpful culture all providing tips and trying to give each useful community along the journey - So to certain aspect she will not be alone or at a disadvantage being alone.

South East Asia in not the same as Europe,Australia or North America - Its much easier to connect with fellow travelers.

​I will be surprised if she did not return with a huge increase in new friends - More than she every imagined - With memories that will last a lifetime.

I'm taking her to Khao Sarn Road tomorrow.

Good Call - Khaosan Road is the general area - Its the most famous, but the best place to go is a few streets away Soi Rombuttri (walking away from Khaosan Road keeping it to your right you will see a bank with lots of yellow ATM's on left side of road after about 100 metres go down this soi keeping the ATM;s to you right) - Here is the soi where the backpackers stay - Its cheaper and she will find it a much nicer place - Most of the rooms are basic, but there are also better if she needs hotels (and these hotels are at much reduced costs to being on Khaosan Road) - To give an idea: Top costs = Rombuttri village inn (900 Baht) or New Siam 2 (there many New siam's 1-3) http://www.newsiam.net/ns/newsiam2.php The old part of building = 840 Baht & New build = 890 Baht (Worth the extra 50 Baht) and at the other extreme are the basic, but are the backpacker favorites - Merry V (180/200 Baht) - The hostel next to this is also basic, but probably the most popular hostel on the soi with backpackers in the know and this is 'My New House' (250/600 Baht - depending on size own/shared toilet or fan/Air con) - Since this is very popular need to get there before midday to get a room - Food is very good and very reasonable price (50 - 70 Baht per meal) and excellent networking happening here (I see new arrivals and strangers making friends with others in the same boat everyday here) - There is a bar further along called Gecko bar they have a few rooms (only 12 months old), but not sure of the quality since not seen inside them - However take some food here or coke or a coffee or a beer at some point and get chatting to the locals and travelers - You will get a mine of info, but in a much more accelerated way - If you walk past the Gecko bar (keeping it on your right - and not going down the small soi off from the bar to extreme right) there are lots of low cost hostels further down - One to watch for is new built the rooms are low cost, but very clean (can not remember the name, but its just after Four sons bar/restaurant - with a Japanese menu board outside - this is part of the hostel.

Lastly here is a hand drawn map I found useful when I first got here - Its now out of date for prices, but the map is useful for navigation - And do not take any notice of the star rating for the places to stay - They are horribly incorrect and confusing http://cdn2.vtourist.com/4/5840945-Khaosan_Road_map_Bangkok.jpg?version=2

A lot of good stuff. Thanks

Even if she is unusually level headed for her age, I strongly recommend she travel with someone. As a woman, she should have either a male companion or 2 or more female travel companions. Thailand (any country) can be rough on a single guy travelling, much less a woman (smaller size - sexual target)

Even if she is unusually level headed for her age, I strongly recommend she travel with someone. As a woman, she should have either a male companion or 2 or more female travel companions. Thailand (any country) can be rough on a single guy travelling, much less a woman (smaller size - sexual target)

Good grief. facepalm.gif

Why not insist she wear a burkha while you're at it....

• Like 2

Good grief. facepalm.gif

Why not insist she wear a burkha while you're at it....

Can you still buy chastity belts?

• Like 1

She is 24 years old. I can absolutely guarantee you that no woman reaches that age without having had plenty of encounters with sexual predators of various types -- as they are to be found everywhere. My own first such run in was a subway groper when I was age 12...and I'll spare you the litany of all that followed throughout my teens. And my twenties. and thirties...and...and (most recent is about a month back).

The dangers the various male posters here refer to in Thailand are in no way specific to here, they are very much present in all western countries too.

Welcome to our world, guys.

A 24 year old woman has already learned more about all this and how to handle it than you can remotely guess at.

Good idea to tip her off that the seeming gentleness of SE Asian peoples is surface thing and should not lead her to let down her guard. That and specifics of common risk unique to here are all she needs to hear. She'll take it from there and look after herself as she has already been having to do for over a decade. (And she'll manage to be out and about and living a full life while she does so...).

• Like 2

Update: I' ve been enjoying the time with my niece. She absolutely loves it here in Thailand. I took her to khaosarn Rd. , she didn't like it one bit, she said it was too touristy, and crowded. She said the same about Pattaya. I dropped her off at the Buddist retreat in Khon kaen yesterday and now she's on her own. I'm leaving for the states tomorrow for 3 months and won't be here If she needs my help. She assured me that she will be careful and safe. I think she'll be OK.

• Like 1