Where's the best place to live on the coast?

wicketkeeper

I live in Chiang Mai and like the town.

If it was on the coast it would be perfect, but it wouldn't be Chiang Mai.

Where's the best place to live on the coast - town, village or island - for a 60+ retired, single Brit who likes bars, mountain bikes and used bookshops, not necessarily in that order.

Not Pattaya, not Phuket, not Hua Hin.

60+ retired, single Brit who likes bars, mountain bikes and used bookshops

Do you mean normal bars or slut bars? If the former, try Songkhla; if the latter; try Samui.

I believe there are used bookstores in Had Yai & NST.

Some people prefer the Andaman to the Gulf Coast. The water is often clearer.

Some places in the south are quite isolated and you can go a long time without seeing another farang.

I am retired on a very small budget. In 2012 I was living in Chiang Mai, renting a small and nice furnished small one bed house out the town for 3500THB/month....I took one month vacation in Cha Am renting there a studio/condo/hotel by the main beach for 6000THB for the month. I loved Cha Am and started thinking about moving there. I found a 3 bedrooms 2 stories furnished townhouse 1/2 block from the main beach leasing for just 5000THB/month. ....on a nice street too.

Visiting Hua Hin, just 20 minutes away, I do not like it at all..and a similar property was renting for 3 times more....I took too long in make a decision, and the townhouse was rented in few days..if not...Still in my mind...Cha Am is a wonderful coast town, close to everything, very convenient, not so much tourist or expat movement, with a very nice weather....and principally.....low cost of living.

• Like 1

I am retired on a very small budget. In 2012 I was living in Chiang Mai, renting a small and nice furnished small one bed house out the town for 3500THB/month....I took one month vacation in Cha Am renting there a studio/condo/hotel by the main beach for 6000THB for the month. I loved Cha Am and started thinking about moving there. I found a 3 bedrooms 2 stories furnished townhouse 1/2 block from the main beach leasing for just 5000THB/month. ....on a nice street too.

Visiting Hua Hin, just 20 minutes away, I do not like it at all..and a similar smaller property was renting for 4 times more....I took too long in make a decision, and the townhouse was rented in few days..if not...Still in my mind...Cha Am is a wonderful coast town, close to everything, very convenient, not so much tourist or expat movement, with a very nice weather....and principally.....low cost of living.

in the south, it's Krabi and a little beyond in both direction south and north, and there are bars. ... Ranong area and Ko Payam Island is very nice and there are very few tourists, so don't expect any bars except the local karaoke, many unspoiled places.

North of Trang/ Pak Bara it's mountaineous land, the beach changes from mangroves to sandy beaches and back every few miles . . . some nice spots can be found, but as it's away from the main tourist sites, no bars, only the local tikki tukka.

In the East, it's Koh Chang and the mainland along the coast west and east of Chantaburi . Backing Chantaburi there are beautiful mountains, and on Ko Chang you will find a biking paradise.

Some of the beaches in Rayong are good, with a few farang expats around here, and many more long term visitors during the cool season. Plenty of places to rent to suit all tastes & budgets.

Ban Phe has a great used bookshop with over 12,000 used books, and they rent mountain bikes as well. There are some pretty active local bike clubs who regularly get off into the hills.

Not much choice of bars (or "bars") though, but reasonably good seafood and western places to eat, although Ban Chang on the western side of Rayong does have a bit more "night-life".

You should visit for a week or so, rent a bike and explore the local area - see what you think...

• Like 1

Khanom or Sichon area, although the Gulf waters aren't as inviting, as the Andaman, (not sure about that now after just reading about Phuket!) Just in between Surat and NSThamerat, both about an hour away, lovely people. National Parks in mountains close by, I presume be good for biking, not many farangs but slowly growing, not too quick I hope!!

Thanks to all for very helpful and stimulating responses so far. It's great to get the benefit of local knowledge.

I'm planning a safari in March by car to the Malaysian border covering Andaman and Gulf coasts to check out your suggestions.

Trat and Ko Chang will have to wait a while.

This may take a few weeks but what the hell, I'm in no particular hurry.

Any further thoughts are always welcome.

Try to check out some places of interest, for example a week or couple of weeks each place.

Mountain for biking, some amount of bars (not too crowded) and bookstores – a beach or near a beach at Koh Samui may be an option worth checking…rolleyes.gif

Chanthaburi.

Get there quick before its spoiled and turned into another shithole.

I happen to be vacationing in Chanthaburi at the moment. I was going to recommend it. It is a special place that remains mostly untouched but the Russians hordes. Very little here for the farang though, except the unspoiled beaches.

Hua Hin does nothing for me. Pattaya is just awful. Phuket is where it's at. Go to any of the beaches communities besides Patong and you'll find an active community of farangs with their own hangouts. Making friends is easy and you can put up with the influx of tourists for a few months. It's where I will probably live for the rest of my life.

• Like 1