Do you know how to lose weight and be healthy in Thailand?

thailampang2012

We, foreigners, use to treat any health problem with prescribed drugs, and herbs and natural food supplements are not of very common use in our culture....In some countries those products also are expensive for daily use....but now....we are in Thailand....

Herbs, fruits, veggies, we found at the markets for little money here...are a luxury in Europe and the US...one is a fruit... mangosteen.

The antioxidant power of this fruit is equal or higher than a more famous one..the acai from Brazil..and with even more healing powers.....

And just to give you an idea A Kg of this fruit cost 40THB at the local market, a very small bottle of juice at Central Plaza cost 150THB.....the same bottle only found in very selected places in the US $70 = 2,220THB

Interested?....search the Internet and read about loosing weight eating Mangosteen. You will get even a bigger surprise when reading about other Thai herbs, veggies, and fruits, and what it can do for your health......

post-201463-0-64447300-1393231608_thumb.

• Like 2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only increasingly concerning aspect for "local" produce is the ever increasing use of Toxic chemicals in Thailand.(pesticides etc)

A lot of which are actually banned in many countries and yet Thailand imports tonnes of it every year. (apparently).

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

Mangosteens are very healthy and indeed contain antioxidants but they will not cause you to lose weight.

Nothing other than consuming fewer calories than you burn will do that, and the easiest way to achieve that, is a combination of caloric restriction and exercise. Exercise not only increases what you burn, it also forces your body to burn fat making it in turn easier to stick to one's diet, whatever that may consist of, without strong cravings or hunger pains.

spot on p[ussy cat lol

Just walking 5 to 10 k a day in this heat keeps one healthy,more water,more fruit and veg,steamed chicken,less pork,and not a lot more to do,very easy

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing other than consuming fewer calories than you burn will do that, and the easiest way to achieve that, is a combination of caloric restriction and exercise.

+ 1

If loosing weight was just about calories counting and exercise the world would have no fat people.

• Like 1

Nothing other than consuming fewer calories than you burn will do that, and the easiest way to achieve that, is a combination of caloric restriction and exercise.

+ 1

If loosing weight was just about calories counting and exercise the world would have no fat people.

Do you not think that the world has many lazy people that don't exercise and eat a lot

of junk food or fatty foods?

"We, foreigners, use to treat any health problem with prescribed drugs, and herbs and natural food supplements are not of very common use in our culture....In some countries those products also are expensive for daily use....but now....we are in Thailand...."

Well not all....all of my family never uses medications unless sick. My parents over 70 don't eat any single tablet or supplement.....I as well....

For the mangosteen, please note that these nice anti-oxidants are the red color outside....much fun eating it.

Hint: We in Europe have a similar natural food supplement which tastes much better and has similar antioxidants. It is very wide used and called red wine.

+ 1

Do you not think that the world has many lazy people that don't exercise and eat a lot

of junk food or fatty foods?

Highly processed high in sugar and fat food (such as Oreo) addiction had been proved to be higher than class A drugs.

Also calories intake does not account for the same amount of weight gain depending of how processed the food is.

So it's not just about counting calories and a few jogs around the block.

"We, foreigners, use to treat any health problem with prescribed drugs, and herbs and natural food supplements are not of very common use in our culture....In some countries those products also are expensive for daily use....but now....we are in Thailand...."

Well not all....all of my family never uses medications unless sick. My parents over 70 don't eat any single tablet or supplement.....I as well....

For the mangosteen, please note that these nice anti-oxidants are the red color outside....much fun eating it.

Hint: We in Europe have a similar natural food supplement which tastes much better and has similar antioxidants. It is very wide used and called red wine.

content mmol/100 g

Red wine has 2.5 antioxidants.

Black tea :1

green tea 1.5

Grape juice 1.2

Expresso ; 14

pomegranate juice 2.1

walnut 21

macha 100

berries 119

dried amla 261

dragon blood from Peru 2897

I don't live in Peru but here we have amla /makampom widely available

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-9-3.pdf

• Like 1

+ 1

For the last two weeks I have been out hiking in the mountains.

Week 1, 85Km

Week 2, 45Km

According to my little 'strap on heart monitor and computer, 1 hike of 20Km uses up about 2,000KCals.

I've lost 16Kg in the last year and I now have to eat loads of food to keep from fading away.

(Was 90Kg, and now 74Kg and still reducing, but eating a lot more than when I was 90Kg)

Your weight is only about calories in and exercise. Nothing else counts.

• Like 1

+ 1

Are you serious? I believe it's as simple as that. But many folks are too lazy to exercise and lack the self-control to eat less. I say that even though I realize that some people are more genetically predisposed to obesity. But they can still do something about it. Eat less, exercise.

+ 1

Are you serious? I believe it's as simple as that. But many folks are too lazy to exercise and lack the self-control to eat less. I say that even though I realize that some people are more genetically predisposed to obesity. But they can still do something about it. Eat less, exercise.

Weight management is linked to education and poverty.

Obesity is now prevalent in the poorest classes, because not only our governments have subsidized processed food and made it cheaper per calories intake, but also poor people are also poor in education and are ignorant of the consequences of highly processed food on their health.

For example,people don't know that the same amount of calories won't produce the same weight gain, depending of how processed it is.

Self control is a very lame argument when foods addiction has now been proved to be comparable to class A drugs

Agreed Sheryl.I dislike the term eating disorder.

Anorexia,Bulimea,binge eating etc, are devastating psychological conditions.

Deeply misunderstood.

....on the topic of losing weight....

Eat Less move more.

Thats it.

Really.

The diet industry may have another view,not motivated entirely by altruism.

+ 1

Actually for once you are correct... If people DID exercise ( elevate heart rate at a sustained level ) and consumed less calories there would NOT be fat people....well done

• Like 1

+ 1

Actually for once you are correct... If people DID exercise ( elevate heart rate at a sustained level ) and consumed less calories there would NOT be fat people....well done

For once? My gosh you read all my posts? Are you some type of stalker?

OK I might need to break things down for you: Take my example: I eat a lot, I do zero sport, so I never elevate my heart rate, and I am loosing weight.

Explain that.

OK I might need to break things down for you: Take my example: I eat a lot, I do zero sport, so I never elevate my heart rate, and I am loosing weight.

Explain that.

I'm thinking, stomach cancer.

(and it's 'losing' by the way)

Nope, perfectly healthy stomach & thank you for correcting my spelling

If we believe your theory I should be piling on weight,right ?

I suggest people check out Garcinia Cambogia extract pills which is made from a local fruit.

post-37101-0-27456100-1395076724_thumb.j

I think the OP was probably referring to that fruit.

It's not practical to eat fresh fruit for this.

You need a predictable, daily dose of the ACTIVE INGREDIENT (not less and not too much more) taken correctly at least 30 minutes before meals.

Pills with that are quite cheap in Thailand.

I have now lost and maintained over 15 percent of my starting body weight (LONG TERM!!!!!) using Garcinia Cambogia (but of course it's not magic, it's just a HELPER with reducing calorie intake, making smarter food choices, and of course you also need to do some exercise, but being a gym rat is NOT required). It helps by RADICALLY reducing cravings for unhealthy foods and also provides a feeling of being FULL for certain kinds of people (typically people who eat for emotional satisfaction, have strong and constant CRAVINGS, and overeating stimulated by STRESS). It doesn't work for everybody.

While it is correct you need to reduce calorie intake to lose weight, that is MUCH easier said than done. The vast majority of people who try that either fail or end up gaining back the weight and more. Will power is a lovely thought but in reality people just get HUNGRY and their bodies are FIGHTING their weight loss because their body thinks it is actually starving. That's why people seek out helpers.

As far as actual fruit, sure Thailand is a paradise of fruit availability and it is quite recommendable to eat moderate amounts of fresh fruit daily. The entire fruit is much better than juices where the bulk is filtered out. I particularly enjoy GUAVA. Some fruits are better than others as far as sugar content. Of course don't forget the VEGETABLES either, in my view, more important than fruit to eat daily.

Edited by Jingthing

+ 1

For the last two weeks I have been out hiking in the mountains.

Week 1, 85Km

Week 2, 45Km

According to my little 'strap on heart monitor and computer, 1 hike of 20Km uses up about 2,000KCals.

I've lost 16Kg in the last year and I now have to eat loads of food to keep from fading away.

(Was 90Kg, and now 74Kg and still reducing, but eating a lot more than when I was 90Kg)

Your weight is only about calories in and exercise. Nothing else counts.

This is survey published in 2012, explaining the Issues and Misconceptions About Obesity:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2011.7/full

It says on chapter 18. Confusion about the effect of exercise on the energy balance that exercise doesn't not necessarily imply weight loss

" With these considerations in mind, one can readily understand why exercise sometimes induces negative energy balance and sometimes does not (50)."

Edited by Kitsune

content mmol/100 g

Red wine has 2.5 antioxidants.

Black tea :1

green tea 1.5

Grape juice 1.2

Expresso ; 14

pomegranate juice 2.1

walnut 21

macha 100

berries 119

dried amla 261

dragon blood from Peru 2897

I don't live in Peru but here we have amla /makampom widely available

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-9-3.pdf

I am surprised with the Espresso....

I think I'll go with the first 5 positions....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lost another kilo without even trying.....simply changing diet and a little more exercise or activity...I stress a little.

I am n ot wanting for food and eating a lot of what I like...just changed my tastes by getting rid of the crap in total.