A new day in Ukraine: Political uncertainty sweeps divided nation

Scott

Actually, I believe there are more people of Norwegian in Minnesota than in Norway. Perhaps Minnesota might want to invade Norway, but that's a topic for a different thread.

The point is that the Ukraine was a sovereign nation and one part doesn't usually get to leave, at least not easily. In this case Russia was a little more than just helpful. I don't think that the world cares too much about what happens to Crimea or the Ukraine, for that matter. I think the concern is for Putin and whatever his agenda might be.

I look forward to the people of Tibet having a vote, especially those that speak a Tibetic language.

+1.

Amen!

I come from Melbourne, Oz which happens to be after Athens the world capital of Greeks.

We, Australians were never under threat from Greece.

I would be a liar if I didn't admit hearing a lot of 'bloody Greeks!' from Italians and Turks, 'bloody Italians and Turks' from Greeks, 'bloody Chinese' from all others, including native Ozzies.

However immediately after all this good humoured nonsense there were joint BBQ's, neighbourly drinking, inter-marriages and good working relations on Mondays.

The secret? - our 'bloody' Gov't kept out of this. I am sure your 'bloody' Minnesota Gov't keeps out of Norwegian's hair too.

But not in Ukraine.

Thus all their problems.

It is the fashion of the day to blame it on Rio Russia. Or better still on this 'bloody' Putin. IMHO the Ukrainian Gov't is the cause of its own woes.

And if they do not wisen up more woes are coming in droves.

Edited by ABCer

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of a surprise.

" The US president must envy his Russian rival for the respect he receives in Israel as opposed to the daily dose of scorn and alienation served to our "ally" time and again. As the public has no knowledge about the reason for the echoing silence in Israel over Russian's policy in the region as opposed to the frequent criticism directed at the US, we should only hope that the people up there know some things that we don't. I have my doubts."

Efraim Halevy is a former head of Mossad

There could be an explanation. But it is hard to formulate in politically correct terms. Turn your eyes back to history, mate. You may also Google "pogroms".

Or try to find statistics on Jews emigration from Russia against same from Ukraine.

I may be wrong... but check out this fellow Efraim Halevy. I wonder where from his family came to Israel - Russia or Ukraine? Just an idea...

Efraim Halevy was born in England.

I doubt that his ancestry got anything to do with his assessment or public opinions.

Morch, either I missed you or you missed my point.

I have no doubts about clarity of the thinking and honesty of assessments of this guy.

What I was trying to say is this.

If his family history involved stories of 'pogroms' in Poland, Ukraine or Russia passed on through generations so would be true for many Jews in Israel now.

Russia can be seen the last on this list for a reason.

I have also directed your curiosity to statistics of emigration from these countries.

After all I only made a suggestion that the explanation could be found there.

And finally, I reserved the right/possibility to be wrong.

You, on the other hand, assumed a formal attitude trying to accuse me in doubting integrity of the guy's assessment. IMHO this is a border line provocation.

No provocation, borderline or otherwise, intended. Sorry if you took it this way.

Halevy's article has more to do with present day Israeli politics, rather than with raising the ghosts of the past.

The article may be seen as a barb directed at Israel's FM, Avigdor Lieberman (and by proxy, at the Israeli PM). The issue of the Israeli FM's background, its influence of his decisions (and some claim, loyalties) is not a new one, so are his good relationship with Putin. Whether one takes these allegations and claims seriously is another matter - would probably be somewhat OT.

The full article can be found here: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4504038,00.html

I think that nowadays, for most Israelis (maybe excluding to some degree more recent waves of immigrations from the former Soviet Union) who trace their ancestry to these countries, any negative feelings associated the woes visited on their forefathers aren't really manifested by having issues with a specific country.

OK,Morch. Maybe I've overreacted.

It is a great sorrow but present day Israeli politics is still full of the ghosts of the past.

And I see nothing wrong with this fact. This is how it should be.

Anyway, if you look at my posts on this Ukraine topic, you will get the idea that I am a convinced pragmatist and hold neither association nor sympathy to either side.

Peace to us all... coffee1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well well well, it didn't take long for some well connected White house insiders to take advantage of the current US administration's "investment' of $5 billion to help overthrow the legally elected government and replace it with an unelected mixture of fascists and far right poodles. The $5 billion was clearly not invested to benefit ordinary Ukrainians that's for sure! Welcome to Western style democracy Ukraine!

http://investmentwatchblog.com/joe-bidens-son-appointed-director-of-ukraines-largest-gas-company/