• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 95

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

2. 7

Thailand Live Saturday 12 October 2024

3. 0

Man Drowns in Front of Sister While Searching for Shellfish in Surin Province

4. 1

Unlikely Justice for Victims of Novichok Poisoning, Says Former PM Theresa May

5. 47

Reasons of change

6. 141
    7. 63

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

8. 7

9. 0

Flash Flood Claims Lives of Two Tourists at Wang Lung Waterfall

10. 7

11. 0

Thai High-Risk Groups Urged to Get Covid-19 Boosters

12. 1

German Politician Calls for Ban on Greta Thunberg Over Pro-Palestinian Protest Involvement

13. 28

Famous Singer Tik Shiro Involved in Fatal Bangkok Car Accident, Two Dead

14. 75

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

15. 1

How to I get rid of this new left hand sidebar?

Is it permissible for my GF to cash a cheque made out to me?

You are talking about a Thai issued check? Will let those that know answer but highly doubt anyone other that you can cash as checks are not exactly welcome here and fraud is on the increase even for those that are allowed checking accounts.

Yes, it is issued by a Reputable Thai company. I used to be a consultant there and the payments were made to my company back in UK.

This one payment is for some freelance work i did for them. I asked them for cash cheque so that my GF could cash it, but they sent her the cheque in my name.

Edited by ryandavis80

It can probably only be deposited in your account and whatever ID will be acceptable by the bank will depend on that bank.

Kinda related, when I got my tax refund check about a month ago for approx Bt4,000 from the Thai tax authorities for the refund of the interest withheld on some fixed saving accounts I had. The check was issued in my name (of course) and the check was drawn on Krung Thai Bank since that is a bank which the govt owns a big part of and has a lot of govt accounts at. Anyway, instead of going to my Bangkok Bank branch to cash/deposit it into my Bangkok Bank savings account I figured I would just go to a nearby Krung Thai Bank and cash the check since it was drawn on Krung Thai Bank....figured they would cash it immediately since the check used their letterhead/was drawn against a Krung Thai Bank govt account.

Went to a Krung Thai Bank branch and they would not cash it because in the upper left hand corner of the check it said "A/C Payee Only" (Account Payee Only) and they said that meant the check can only be deposited in "my bank account at whatever bank I had an account at." Bangkok Bank, K-Bank, Krung Thai Bank, whatever bank...it couldn't be cashed that same day it could only be deposited into my account...then I could draw it out as soon as I wanted based on whatever policy the bank had about wait time pending the check clearing.

So, I went to a nearby Bangkok Bank branch with my passbook and passport, and deposited the check...no problems....it was credited to my account immediately but the bank rep said its actually won't clear for one business day. Of course I could have immediately drawn out an equal amount of the check since I already had a fair amount of money in the account...but all I really wanted to do was to get the check cashed or deposited to ensure the check didn't bounce as Yinluck is sure looking for money high and low to pay the rice farmers.

Yes, it is issued by a Reputable Thai company. I used to be a consultant there and the payments were made to my company back in UK.

This one payment is for some freelance work i did for them. I asked them for cash cheque so that my GF could cash it, but they sent her the cheque in my name.

And the company has acted rightly, a reputable company with a proper accounting system would never issue a cash cheque when paying someone