One Year Visa - the basics?

Have had a look on this site, but there's almost too much information. Can someone knowledgeable advise on the basic requirements I would need to have to gain a 1-year visa for living in Thailand (non-work). Spouse is a Thai national now working in Thailand. Married ten years. Both aged 45. Is gaining this type of visa fairly automatic? Is it difficult to convert from a tourist visa to this a longer stay visa? Thanks.

• Like 1

400,000Bht in a Thai bank or a certifiable income of 40,000Bht/month are the absolute requirements for an extension of stay based on marriage + the paperwork!

If you can meet the financial hurdle then return and someone will guide you through the process.

You can convert from a tourist visa if you meet the requirements, but probably must do it in Bangkok.

Alternatively you can get a multiple non-O visa in Savanakhet, Laos with the right kind of paperwork. You can almost get 15 months of stay out of that visa, with leaving Thailand every day but can return the same day.

• Like 2

For the UK there is still a financial test, although you could try several of the honorary consulates. (But you must apply in person there) and will only receive a single entry non-O visa.

The Laos option is the easiest if you can't meet the financial requirements, as they will issue a multiple non-O. But need to get a tourist visa in the UK to travel to Thailand.

You need to understand that a multiple entry non-o visa will require you to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry. There is no visa available that will allow you to stay for a full year.

If you don't want to make border runs every 90 days you need to apply for an extension of stay at immigration based upon marriage to a Thai. If you decide to do the extension then you should apply for a single entry non-o visa before traveling.

• Like 1

You can convert from a tourist visa if you meet the requirements, but probably must do it in Bangkok.

Alternatively you can get a multiple non-O visa in Savanakhet, Laos with the right kind of paperwork. You can almost get 15 months of stay out of that visa, with leaving Thailand every day but can return the same day.

"with leaving Thailand every day"

Sounds a bit onerous, but probably good exercise.

TIRED+MAN.JPG

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Maybe one thing to be aware of:

My partner in the UK arrived about 3 weeks ago on a long stay OA visa- for retirement. ( so a bit different as you are younger and married)

Had to produce UK bank statement, medical report, police report- tuned up the embassy - they would NOT accept the originals- so had to go to a lawyer to obtain certified copies- bit crazy I know. Took a bit of rushing about town- so be aware of that rule.

They seemed very uncertain of the OA visa. It seems that you cannot get a non imm O and then extend for " retirement" purposes and now insist on police and medical reports.

I need to do a Visa run to Savannakhet soon

I had heard they have tightened up the rules now at Savannakhet

A friend told me some stamps went missing at Savannakhet

​Then they started turning up on People entering the country from the Middle East

So what I have heard is the the Government have closed the loop hole of no earning or money needed

​Can anyone confirm this???

If there is no truth in this

Please read below what is needed or this is my last experience at Savannakhet when getting a Visa

For those looking for the Savannakhet Visa form here is a copy http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/588227-is-it-possible-to-get-an-o-visa-while-living-in-thailand/page-2

Paperwork needed

My passport
2 photos
Marriage certificate
Copies of
Marriage certificate
My and my wife’s passport name pages
Wife’s Thai ID card, front and back
Wife’s or your House Book

Just to be safe have original copies and make copies of everything
I also took my Daughters Birth Certificate ( This was handy for us as we had left our Original Marriage Certificate behind)
I signed everything My wife signed hers too

​I see most people had their Documents stapled together and some had their Photo's stapled on too
The Visa guy at the window Glued my Photo's to my Visa form

Makes it easier as everything is done from outside a window
and many people milling around

Hey,

Is it still possible to get such type of visa without the financial proof in Sawannakhet?

Just trying to be on the safe side when applying for a new job, to be independent. Great weekend!!--wai.gif

"with leaving Thailand every day"

Sounds a bit onerous, but probably good exercise.

TIRED+MAN.JPG

And he could buy a cartoon of Era's. plus a good bottle of Whiskey for me every day. And I would really appreciate that.-bah.gif

Hey,

Is it still possible to get such type of visa without the financial proof in Sawannakhet?

Just trying to be on the safe side when applying for a new job, to be independent. Great weekend!!--wai.gif

Yes it is. They are not asking for financial proof. There is a report on another topic of getting one this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Just Finished getting my One Year O Multi in Savannakhet

No problems

No financials asked for

Didn't even ask to see original copies of Paperwork

I see there is a new Thai Royal Consulate Built almost Finished

Its on the main Road into Town from the Bridge

post-55492-0-09151900-1394614654_thumb.j

post-55492-0-70987700-1394614676_thumb.j

post-55492-0-43590000-1394614686_thumb.j

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...