Retirement extension renewal how long does the 800k have to be in the bank?

I've searched the forum and can't see an answer to my question, so I'd be grateful for a reply to this :
I am currently on an retirement extension of stay, how long does the 800K have to be in my bank account, before I can renew the extension, is it three months or 4 months, before I go to immigration ?
Thanks for all replies / help.

Be careful of the advice you receive on here. A lot of those who post replies just like to appear knowledgeable and give advice on topics about which they know little or nothing. Much better to call immigration and talk to someone who, hopefully, know what they are talking about. Are you from the US?

• Like 1

This isn't controversial.

These are the FACTS, already stated.

First extension application -- two months seasoning before the immigration meeting (800K banked method)

Subsequent extensions -- three months seasoning before the immigration meeting (800K banked method)

• Like 2

Thanks Guys for fast reply's I'm not there yet but will be on holiday in May for three weeks looking to buy a house in or near Korat, will move next year, I hear that the korat immigration is quite tough to deal with so I will talk to them while on holiday, will take all your comments on board, I'm from the UK been coming to Thailand for the last 14 years.

Edited by DB2

Be careful of the advice you receive on here. A lot of those who post replies just like to appear knowledgeable and give advice on topics about which they know little or nothing. Much better to call immigration and talk to someone who, hopefully, know what they are talking about. Are you from the US?

Oh yeh............................rolleyes.gif ............................coffee1.gif .....................gawd..........................coffee1.gif

• Like 2

first time is 2 months, after that it is always 3 months before you go to extend.

You can use the combo method, in that case money doesn't have to be seasoned.

Can I confirm, Mario, that the first-time rule of 2 months applies in our situation too - being married, Brits, coming off the back of two single-entry non-Imm O's ganted in Laos, with wife applying (somehow, yet to be fully understood) as a "dependent"? As I understand it, we need to have "only" 800k (not 2 x 800k in a local bank.

And that the 2 month rule is in respect of the initial application for the extension application for long-stay / retirement, not the first renewal of the extension.

Thanks.

first time is 2 months, after that it is always 3 months before you go to extend.

Can I confirm, Mario, that the first-time rule of 2 months applies in our situation too - being married, Brits, coming off the back of two single-entry non-Imm O's ganted in Laos, with wife applying (somehow, yet to be fully understood) as a "dependent"? As I understand it, we need to have "only" 800k (not 2 x 800k in a local bank.

And that the 2 month rule is in respect of the initial application for the extension application for long-stay / retirement, not the first renewal of the extension.

Thanks.

It is 60 days for the first application for a extension of stay from a non immigrant visa entry. It does not apply for the next extension.

The dependent extension is done all the time. As soon as you have your extension of stay stamp your wife then will apply for an extension as your dependent by showing copies of your extension and your marriage certificate (In English or translated to Thai).

I put the 800k into a term deposit and just leave it there. That way, whenever I go to renew my extension I know the money has been there long enough to meet the requirement, plus as it's "locked" in it's not readily available to be blown on spontaneous purchases and earns a wee bit of interest as well.

Plus, should I ever actually really, really need it (hospital bills, get out of jail/country, need to go back to the Frozenland and start over) it is there waiting (unless the bank crashes of course) !

Right now, the annual visa extension is the biggest head-ache I have to worry about every year, and by having that money tucked away, it makes life much less stressful.

I tried the same with a "fixed deposit account"...this was refused

I think the combo method is changing to 3 months as well. I just got my extension last week in Chiang Mai using the combo method without having the money in the bank for 3 months and was told that next year I would have to have the money in the bank for 3 months for my extension.

Sorry Mario, what do you mean by first time ? Very first year or first extension ? I am now in my first year, the money was not in a Thai bank but in my bank in my country since my first retirement visa was given by the Thai embassy. So this year the money will be in a Thai bank, but 2 months or 3 months before the end of my year?

I think the combo method is changing to 3 months as well. I just got my extension last week in Chiang Mai using the combo method without having the money in the bank for 3 months and was told that next year I would have to have the money in the bank for 3 months for my extension.

That would require a change to the police order. I can't see immigration changing it. The reason there is no seasoning needed is because of exchange rate fluctuations which is primary reason for having the combo method so that if their was a sudden and significant increase in the value of the baht's value a person could put some money in the bank to make up difference.

The three month requirement for combo seasoning has been enforced at Kap Choeng Immigration in Surin for the pass two years. What happens in Bangkok or Pattaya may not happen elsewhere and vise versa.

It is certainly possible (and I recall some reports) of some local offices enforcing seasoning time on COMBO applications. However, as said, that is not the official national policy which has not changed. One grey area for some has been is there a MINIMUM amount needed for the income portion of a combo application to cancel the money seasoning requirement? For example, if the income was only 10,000 baht per year, the rest banked. Technically there is no language saying there is any minimum.

The three month requirement for combo seasoning has been enforced at Kap Choeng Immigration in Surin for the pass two years. What happens in Bangkok or Pattaya may not happen elsewhere and vise versa.

Be assured that there is indeed no money seasoning requirement for combo applications in most of the country and there is no national policy change in effect. But of course you need to follow local deviations. So your local joint is making up their own rules and who is gonna stop them?

Edited by Jingthing

Mario2008, by combo do you mean pension payments from abroad and money in the bank to reach the required amount

Correct. A combination of income proven by a letter from the embassy and money in the bank totaling 800K baht.

OR, a letter from your Embassy (if they still do it) confirming pension or other income to the equivalent of not less than 65 k baht/month in an overseas bank account (unconverted) AND confirming money transferred in from overseas not less than 65 k baht/month. No seasoning required.

I have used this combo proof of income both in Udon and Jomtien Immigration with no problems encountered. Just present a bank statement for the past 12-months from the overseas and Thai banks to the Embassy with the amounts to be referenced in the letter clearly highlighted, making sure that the overseas account currency is NOT converted in the letter.

I could probably get away with just the 12-month Thai bank history but I did both as a 'belt and braces' approach as not sure that evidence of money transferred into a Thai bank account ONLY would be accepted as 'proof of income' by some Immigration offices.

There was a post a few months back where an Embassy letter referencing and confirming adequate funds in the overseas bank ONLY was rejected where it had been accepted on previous extensions. The reason given was (I believe) there was no evidence of the money being in Thailand which seems logical to me.

How can monthly pension payments plus a little extra in the bank be seasoned? I suspect this will either prove to be complete nonsense or be a case of the IO not understanding the rules & not wanting to lose face.

With the combo method, the seasoning exemption is about the BANKED part of the combination, NOT the income part which of course couldn't be seasoned even if required. Again, the rule is no seasoning for the bank portion of a combo application though some local offices are not following the national rule and requiring seasoning for the banked portion.

This isn't controversial.

These are the FACTS, already stated.

First extension application -- two months seasoning before the immigration meeting (800K banked method)

Subsequent extensions -- three months seasoning before the immigration meeting (800K banked method)

Jingthing is 100% correct. I have maneuvered between "Thai Wife" Visas when married, work permits when I ran my law firm for 8 years and some side work that is kinda secret, but if ya know me, you know my freelance work :).

However, I was a U.S. & Thai Immigration Lawyer for many years and it remains 2 months the first time, 3 months therein out.

PRG

I put the 800k into a term deposit and just leave it there. That way, whenever I go to renew my extension I know the money has been there long enough to meet the requirement, plus as it's "locked" in it's not readily available to be blown on spontaneous purchases and earns a wee bit of interest as well.

Somewhere along the line I had it in my head that "term deposits" or "time deposits" were not acceptable. The reasoning was that the 800K was money that one would be using for living expenses.

But I was told a that a high interest account (I can only withdraw twice a month or there is a 500 baht fee) is OK. In practice, I witdraw once every couple months and put the money in an "everyday account" whicj earns much lower interest.

Never had any problems at Jomtien Immigration using the high interest account and good to hear that time deposits are also acceptable. Anyone else use time deposits for their 800K baht?

Umm, maybe my banking terms are not up to snuff, but what in the world is "seasoning" concerning a bank account??

It means the money needs to age like a fine wine.

So for the 800K, when the seasoning is three months, the balance in the bank account can't go even ONE BAHT below 800K for the entire seasoning period before the immigration meeting.

The intent is to prevent short term loans, in theory anyway.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1