Items Sent By Post And Thai Customs

Does anyone have experience with sending things by post and Thai customs?

How often do they require import tax and at what rate? Do they check packages randomly or is it above a certain weight/ dec;ared value?

Thanks!

If anyone has info it'd be much appreciated, a customer is wanting to send something over, however we're unsure about Thai customs/import tax, and so we don't know if it's a viable option.

The weight is approx 10kg.

If anyone has info it'd be much appreciated, a customer is wanting to send something over, however we're unsure about Thai customs/import tax, and so we don't know if it's a viable option.

The weight is approx 10kg.

I believe the answer to your question is : "Anything can happen".

I do not believe that you will properly be able to discern whether it is a viable option or not and you should err on the side of caution, i.e. don't send it.

It really depends upon what is inside the package! All items are allocated a code which then relates to what duty is payable. It's the same in every country...

The tax for a particular code might be 0%, or it might be very high, such as for imported cars.

Today I imported some fibreglass poles (!). The duty was 1% of the value, plus 7% VAT. It came to about 1000 baht.

When your friend ships these items to you, they must try to put the correct code for the items on the shipping documents. That will make the import process quicker because the customs guy will not have to try and find the correct code. Don't try to just choose a code that has a 0% tax on it - the customs guy will ask you to open the parcel to inspect the goods.

But - strange as it might seem, if you are shipped goods by DHL courier, then customs duty is not always payable! On the same day that I imported fibreglass poles by air-mail - and paid duty on them, I received a concertina (!) via DHL and no import process or tax payment was required.

Simon