Exporting an pet from Thailand (to Malaysia for quarantine?)

Gilmore

Hi All,

I am looking at exporting my 2 dogs from Thailand back to Australia.

I made some enquires and found that because they had all their vacc's in Australia they can skip the 180 waiting period etc.

The process will be as follows:

They need to go to a CATEGORY 3 country for 45 days where the will have final testing to be approved into Australia. They do not have to be in quarentined during this 45 days (however additional quarantine may apply depending on the country).

Once approved they will fly to Australia where they will spend 10 days in quarantine.

My only concern is - will some of the CATEGORY 3 countries have their own determined quarantine periods that I won't be able to avoid. For example - apparently Hong Kong has a 45 day holding period and then I would then need to have them tested and living in Hong Kong for 45 days before arriving back to Oz - which is an extra 90 days.

Apparently Malaysia only has a 7 day But then I looked on a website that says 'Dogs coming to Malaysia from countries with rabies will have to do between 7 days and 6 month quarantine'.

How would I know if it was 7 days or 6 months??

Can anyone shed light on quarantine periods in Malaysia?

Also here is a list of the CATEGORY 3 countries.. does anyone know if any of these countires have no quarantine time for pets coming from Thailand?

Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Canary and Balearic Islands, Cayman Islands, Chile, the Republic of Croatia, the Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jersey, Kuwait, Latvia, Luxembourg, Macau, Malta, Malaysia (Peninsular, Sabah and Sarawak only), Monaco, Montenegro, the Netherlands, Netherlands—Antilles & Aruba, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, the Republic of South Africa, Reunion, Saipan, Serbia, Seychelles, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent & the Grenadines, Sweden, Switzerland (including Liechtenstein), Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States (including the district of Columbia, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands (but excluding Guam and Hawaii, Uruguay.

I think you have the wrong information. Malaysia has no quarantine and I drove there from bangkok with my dog. Then I went on to Singapore and had to quarantine my dog for one month.

I am pretty sure that Australia does not require you to quarantine your dog either.

• 4 months later...

I think you have the wrong information. Malaysia has no quarantine and I drove there from bangkok with my dog. Then I went on to Singapore and had to quarantine my dog for one month.

I am pretty sure that Australia does not require you to quarantine your dog either.

I am in the same boat beginning the process of bringing my 2 dogs from Thailand to NZ.I think youll find that although not as stringent as NZ you will need to quarantine your dog as its coming from a rabies prevalent country back to a non-rabies country

• 6 months later...

I have been recently thinking about a move to Australia and what that would entail with our boxer dog from here in Thailand.

From what I can gather Malaysia is the best bet as the Category 3 country to handle the exporting. I am a teacher so have 7 weeks off in the summer, in theory we are hoping we could drive to Malaysia (Padang Besar) and have our dog in quarantine for a week. During this time hopefully we can have a certified Vet take a blood sample for RNAT testing to get the ball rolling and give him his new vaccines required for Australia.

Then when the week is over rent a place for 3 to 4 more weeks nearish to the airport we will fly from whilst all other tests etc are done by the approved VETS. Then onward to AUS.

Can anyone see any flaws to this? My main worry is that any rabbies vaccinations the Malaysians want on entry will conflict with the required RNAT test. Hopefully they can get approved vets etc and it will be compatible with the Australian requirements.

Next is hopefully renting a place that will allow a dog for 3 - 4 weeks isnt too expensive.

Lastly finding an airline to Australia that will take him, and not break the bank again.

Seems doable but so many things could delay the process. Does anyone have any first hand experience with all this?