What should I buy while in the USA

Mike45

I'm visiting the USA and I'm shopping around Home Depot. I'm wondering if there is anything I could buy here that would be better/cheaper than buying in Thailand for the new house construction.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-33663-13935223919084_thumb.jpg

post-33663-13935224075156_thumb.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what's compatible with Thailand's electrical, how much you can carry, or how you might get bit by customs.

I wouldn't leave the US without going to Walmart and buying a new laptop. Think $400 (13,000 baht) for a good one with genuine Windows 8, DVD recorder/player... Unpack it and carry it as used.

• Like 1

Simple self locking gate latches: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Self-Locking-Gate-Latch-/171238910410 I've never seen them here in 16 years. I had some broought from the US and the local metal shop now makes them own using the design taht I showed him.

That's a good suggestion.

easy outs! They are used to remove strippped screws and bolts. I've seen them here but they arn't readily avaiable. Also, a side of USDA choice or prime beef, or the whole yearling for that matter and some good hickory smoked bacon and ham! Sorry xofftopic.gif.pagespeed.ic.ifZtFTWxj3.pn

I'm eating way to much here as it is. I'm thinking about bringing a whole salami back with me!

Any non contact electrical tester or any electrical test equipment.

Example: Fluke 1AC-A1-II Volt-Alert AC Non-Contact Voltage cost $30 states, $50(1600B) Thailand.

I own one!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

easy outs! They are used to remove strippped screws and bolts. I've seen them here but they arn't readily avaiable. Also, a side of USDA choice or prime beef, or the whole yearling for that matter and some good hickory smoked bacon and ham! Sorry offtopic.gif

Sorry, again off the subject, but while we have the Americans attention.

Has anyone had beef shipped in from U.S.?

I was thinking of having my brother mail over some steaks from Angus Online,

and I'm pretty sure it comes packed in dry ice,

but will it hold for the two weeks,

it takes to ship through normal postal service?

Now back on topic...if I was able to shop at Home Depot,

I'd get a good set of ratchets for around the house.

Sears would probably be a better source, now that I think about it.

A wet / dry vacuum could come in handy too,

but the voltage could be an issue?

Edited by ajarnmarc

easy outs! They are used to remove strippped screws and bolts. I've seen them here but they arn't readily avaiable. Also, a side of USDA choice or prime beef, or the whole yearling for that matter and some good hickory smoked bacon and ham! Sorry xofftopic.gif.pagespeed.ic.ifZtFTWxj3.pn

I'm eating way to much here as it is. I'm thinking about bringing a whole salami back with me!

I always bring back a salami (and artichoke hearts, and olive oil, and Dr. Pepper, and . . .)

Not that you probably need it, but I just bought some fiberglass resin at Home Depot for $8. I couldn't find it at HomePro nor HomeWorks, and the only place I did find it was at a small shop that wanted 2,300 baht for it. It was just enough for the job I had in mind last weekend.

I should have bought one of those exhaust fans that go up in the crawlspace under the roof, the ones that work on wind power. I saw them on sale at Home Depot for $79. I think it would do wonders for my house in Thailand.

to ajarn marc.

i have ratchet set for sale from usa sears, on craigslist.org.

if you bring electric tools just make sure you can use 220/v- 50/60 hz.. then you can use any electrical tools here.. or you have to buy a converter. but its a pain in the ass..

My wife bought a Nexus in Texas. With a Thai plug.

i bought a fork in New York, (and a spare in Delaware), a hair cut in Connecticut, a guitar in Utah, a banana in Nevada, a coat hanger in Montana, played poker in Dakota (North and South), oh the list goes on

I'd buy tools. Most of the tools sold here are made in China crap. The good stuff I've seen at True Value in Pattaya that are probably closest in quality to what you get in the US are priced twice as much as what you'd pay for them at Home Depot.

I also agree with the self locking gate lock if your gates are low like in the US because you can't find them here but Thai burglars would be perplexed at first on how to open the gate but once they figure it out would be very happy. If you have animals its difficult to find good doggy doors too.

The stuff you can get at Bed Bath and Beyond is also way nicer then what you can get here for the same price.

I really like the quality of brass fixtures in the US, be in door hinges, locks, faucets, door knobs, towel hangs, window locks etc. Seeing the price tag of a Baldwin door knob here makes you want to gouge your eyes out in disbelief.

Edited by smileydude

I would buy any hand tools that you expect to need, but not power tools since Thai power is 220vac @ 50hz. So most electrical items are out. American wire nuts work well here. And, I do buy extension cords with molded plastic plugs. Got a heavy duty one for my wife's iron and she loves it. Various connectors and hardware, for instance, L shaped brackets can be difficult to find here. Oh, and I got some white porcelain tub repair enamel in the States that I couldn't find here.

Too bad we can't bring cars as they are much cheaper in the USA.

My wife bought a Nexus in Texas. With a Thai plug.

i bought a fork in New York, (and a spare in Delaware), a hair cut in Connecticut, a guitar in Utah, a banana in Nevada, a coat hanger in Montana, played poker in Dakota (North and South), oh the list goes on

... and several pairs of false teeth in Massachusetts ?

Now back on topic...if I was able to shop at Home Depot,

I'd get a good set of ratchets for around the house.

Sears would probably be a better source, now that I think about it.

A wet / dry vacuum could come in handy too,

but the voltage could be an issue?

Actually, Home Depot has real good tools. They tried to cut a deal with Sears to sell Craftsman, but Sears declined. So Home Depot cut a deal with Ridgid. the long time maker of professional plumbers' tools to use their name. Now most tools at HD are Ridgid and HD has them made to a high quality standard. They are a bit cheaper too.

Walmart carries Stanley.

If you are going to Home Depot buy some simple faucet washers for a garden hose, impossible to find here unless you buy a faucet attachment of some sort. Tapcon concrete screws, I bought a box with the corrisponding masonry drill bit for a project that in the end I didn't end up using them for but I've just about gone through the box because being that my house is made out of concrete block and ceramic tile, these screws are invaluable. They have a display at my local IQ of some concrete screws, I have enquired twice about buying these screws, the last time I had my thai brother in law along to translate. Both times they tried to pass me off self tapping screws and I had to point out that self tapping screws are not the same as concrete screws, at which point they always say mi me. I also bought and brought a gas grill through amazon before I came over, it also is invaluable and gets used at least 3 times a week. It's not a weber, to be honest I can't recall the brand name but I would think ANY gas grill would be way cheaper the the $500 or $600 gas grills that you can buy from the Thai place up near Chang Mia.

I usually browse the garden center in Home Depot. I found a good selection of automatic timers for water hoses at reasonable prices. Good for watering the garden on a regular schedule. They use batteries and can be programmed for two or more zones on different timings.

I usually browse the garden center in Home Depot. I found a good selection of automatic timers for water hoses at reasonable prices. Good for watering the garden on a regular schedule. They use batteries and can be programmed for two or more zones on different schedules.

• Like 1

all sound advice, ie import taxes, but has anyone costed the shipping/transportation cost of say bringing a bar-b- q over, it must be horrendous, i was looking at bringing some stuff from the uk, but at shipping costs of about £1600 plus, no way is that feasable and paying taxes as well.