Painting our house need Some help and advice

johnmcedinghburg

We need to have Some paint work to be done, for this i would like to know what to expect to pay a day for an good painter.

There is work higher up so they need an scaffle.

To have an idea what a good painter cost a day would help me.

If you could recomend a painter, than feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance

Jme

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Agree with the above post. Painters bid "by the job" not daily. You can always buy the paint yourself (have the paint on hand) then get a painter to come out and show him the job. Offer what you feel you'd be comfortable in paying, whether it takes him one, two or three days. If he accepts, you win, if not, keep going with another until you are happy with the price...

• Like 2

I think its always best to buy the paint yourself and get a decorator

to paint your house, if they buy the paint they will more often than

not buy the cheapest paint,then water it down,they dont need scaffolding

they just use bamboo poles, and you need to keep a constant eye on the

painters to make sure they do a good job.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

Scaffolding is necessary to properly paint trim and edges.

Johnm.. Where is the job? You probably do not want to hire a Mae Rim painter for a job in Hang Dong, unless he is exceptional, because he will have to charge you a lot for travel.

A guy that finishes cabinets would be around 1,000 B/day and a good painter would be 6-800 B/day but as stated above, they will bid the job, not work by the day.

Sorry my ipad was doping strange

Thanks for all the reactions, im living in Saraphee

THE problem for me is that THE highest point is arround 10 m high so far to high to reach.

Is there a place to rent a scaffle or large step ladder in case i want to do it myselves?

Thanks again

John

Sorry my ipad was doping strange

Thanks for all the reactions, im living in Saraphee

THE problem for me is that THE highest point is arround 10 m high so far to high to reach.

Is there a place to rent a scaffle or large step ladder in case i want to do it myselves?

Thanks again

John

You can rent steel scaffold opposite Tesco Lotus on the Super Highway, not expensive but you will need someone to help you move it around unless you are on relatively flat ground so the wheels will function smoothly. Probably need three or four levels of scaffold.

If anyone knows of 10 meter ladders other than bamboo, it would be good to hear from them.

Painting a house is not that hard.... Ive done it before....

Other than that, hire some "labor" and direct the work.... after you have Googled... 'How to paint a house" and have some great tips and techniques to share with your Thai crew :)

What about the rumors I've heard about farangs getting busted by the police for painting their house. You are doing work.

Elgenon.. is that a housewife name?

Just asking as my nagging ex wife is into rumors too... (even the ones she make up herself)

Edited by thhMan
  • Like 2

Last year was quoted THB 35,000.

Did it myself in the end for a cost of paint at THB7000. Upper levels done on a stepladder and brush on a stick where necessary.

Quite a pleasing result, in my opinion anyway! The THB7000 included enough paint to do internally which was not in the original quote.

I like this.

I was quoted Baht 1,000 to cut the grass at the house I rent - the original gardner the owner employed to do all the gardening charged Baht 500, I suggested Baht 400 for just cutting the grass (I would do the pruning and weeding (which he never did anyway)), he said no.

I bought an electric mower for Baht 2,590 ... it has not died yet!! ... after cutting the grass 5 times already, I figure I am ahead.

The house had a leaking roof last year ... the owner arranged for repairs and painting ... 15 minutes work for both items and he was charged Baht 7,500 ... had similar work done back in Australia ... total cost there was about Baht 5,000!!!

TIT

If anyone knows of 10 meter ladders other than bamboo, it would be good to hear from them.

sankimetal dot com Click on Aluminum ware Click on ladders

Did not find any longer than about 6 meters, did I miss some?

lucky for me my wife has just painted our house in side and out, she has never held a paint brush or roller before but what a marvellous job she has done....here in the jungle I would expect to pay 250-300 baht a day to paint a house by a local lad from the village.

• Like 1

It cost us B 20 000 (for labour only) for the inside and outside of the house, 16 months ago. Difficult to compare but our paint job used 5 x 20 l primer (for the new walls) and 20 x 20 l paint applied in two to three layers. It also included tectured painting of about 50 m2 and window and door frames. Some of the areas painted was also +- 10m high. Just one thing use the best quality paint and make sure the surface preperation are done as it should be. We used a high pressure cleaner to take off flaking paint and on outside walls used acrylic wall putty (water resistant). Will be a good time to apply water resistant layer on walls that show signs of damp. Dont rush the job and if you pay someone to do the job do a written contract with the specs in. Good luck.

Ordered my 2x14' sanki ladders from Home Expert on the old San Kamphaeng rd / outer ring road junction. Couldn't find anyone stocking long ladders.

Yes. Some have a working height (slant) of 10 meters

regards Worgeordie

Good advice.

I was a professional contractor in Australia for 10 years and even there with the strict licensing, the industry is full of cowboys that will use inferior materials,.. thin the paint too much, not clean or prepare (sanding, washing, etc) surfaces before painting and then skimming over with single coat "once-overs" etc etc.

If using tradesmen here my advice is to tell them that you were a professional painter in your own country many years ago and that you know what a good job requires;

1) All surfaces dusted down,.. washed with sugar soap or detergent based water and rinsed off,

2) lightlly sanded and all holes caulked with acrylic.

3) Followed by 2 coats of premium (unthinned) paint.

Make sure they cut edges with a brush and don't leave roller smudges on ceilings, sills or window frames and that they keep tiles free of drips and thick edges where wall meets floor.

Must admit,.. I have seen some very good paint jobs on quite a few of the new estate developments so if you could get one of those teams on the job you'd probably be quite OK.

• Like 1

What about the rumors I've heard about farangs getting busted by the police for painting their house. You are doing work.

Having occasionally shared food and drink and chats with the BIB who do the security box checks on our estate I think we may well be on their good side.

Thru the years I have used compentent labor here for painting, brick/block laying, landscaping, etc. I have furnished the material for all the projects, just to ensure I got what quality I wanted. The local (CM) bids I got on the work, ranged from the obscene to labor costs plus 30 to 40%.

A rule of thumb that works somewhat, sometimes, maybe, is labor will be close to material cost.

I have resorted to bring in labor from the village (2 or 3) who know the family, some are part of the family. Let them stay in a unused seperate sleeping facility, with a Thai kitchen and they work at a day rate, furnish hand tools they require, (they bring them) anmd they use our motobike to go to market for the vittles/fixings.

regards Worgeordie

Good advice.

I was a professional contractor in Australia for 10 years and even there with the strict licensing, the industry is full of cowboys that will use inferior materials,.. thin the paint too much, not clean or prepare (sanding, washing, etc) surfaces before painting and then skimming over with single coat "once-overs" etc etc.

If using tradesmen here my advice is to tell them that you were a professional painter in your own country many years ago and that you know what a good job requires;

1) All surfaces dusted down,.. washed with sugar soap or detergent based water and rinsed off,

2) lightlly sanded and all holes caulked with acrylic.

3) Followed by 2 coats of premium (unthinned) paint.

Make sure they cut edges with a brush and don't leave roller smudges on ceilings, sills or window frames and that they keep tiles free of drips and thick edges where wall meets floor.

Must admit,.. I have seen some very good paint jobs on quite a few of the new estate developments so if you could get one of those teams on the job you'd probably be quite OK.

Spot on.

A lot of people think painting is slapping a couple of coats on, and is something we can all do.

The art in painting (be it a car or a house) is in the preparation. That is what you pay a tradesman for. And it isn't cheap.

Try sloshing on some paint and then wait a couple of years.....the cheap job you had done will suddenly become not so cheap when it has to redone.

• Like 1

Treat mould with chlorine or bleach, pressure wash/waterblast to remove loose paint, sand all surfaces so new paint can key in to it, wash again with sugar soap to remove any sanding dust, apply coat of primer/sealer/undercoat to all surfaces as may have had enamel or crap paint previous as this ensure new paint will have excellent adhesion. apply 2 coats premium acrylic exterior or 3 coats if by sea and want to last 15 years.

Yes. Some have a working height (slant) of 10 meters

Thank you, I found them. My new reading glasses are going to get picked up tomorrow for sure. biggrin.png

Bought Nippon paint, wife called in the family.

One day with the family, outside done, myself and a friend did the inside in 3 days.

Family so impressed by the Nippon paint, they bought it for the parents' new build, which I helped paint of course.

No need for paid labour, good people help out, just make sure you buy whisky and beer to say thanks, then return the favour and drink all their beer.

• Like 2