What type of pool? Salt or Chlorine, the good, the bad, the ugly...

IMHO

I was using Isaan prices JesseFrank for my top of the range estimate! Should have explained - I meant the range to cover one to one and a half bags of salt using the lowest price I know about and the higher prices that remote guys like me pay. Best price I can get in Sisaket/Ubon provinces is 200 baht a sack collection from Ubon 90 k away! Yes - I could get down to 120 a bag direct from TRS factory in Korat (minimum delivery 80 bags x 25kg) and wanted to turn my house into a salt storage facility - or maybe even less if I had my own 'sip loar' truck! I can get 130 a bag if I come to Pats and stack up the SUV but it aint worth a special visit. Mail order is about 200 also when delivery is thrown in.

So - I am agog. Where do you buy your pool salt at 110 baht a bag? How big is the bag and are there any minimum order sizes or delivery charges/collection costs you are not telling us aboutsmile.pngsmile.png. Probably Phuket, I'm guessing and maybe you are doing shared buying to cut down the storage.

Agree with the cycle times and use them. I know 2 time passes a day is the recommended standard and that's what I use (7am and 7pm start like you recommend - was just a bit tempted to flirt with slightly less than that, given how clean the pool is these days; probably a mistake).

I welcome the input and I think we've all just about done the subject to death (but done it proud nonetheless!)

Any other pool users in Sisaket or Ubon want to talk about doing split loads of salt in this neck of the woods?

Mods: salt v chlorine comes up a lot. This thread could be pinned.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

I was using Isaan prices JesseFrank for my top of the range estimate! Should have explained - I meant the range to cover one to one and a half bags of salt using the lowest price I know about and the higher prices that remote guys like me pay. Best price I can get in Sisaket/Ubon provinces is 200 baht a sack collection from Ubon 90 k away! Yes - I could get down to 120 a bag direct from TRS factory in Korat (minimum delivery 80 bags x 25kg) and wanted to turn my house into a salt storage facility - or maybe even less if I had my own 'sip loar' truck! I can get 130 a bag if I come to Pats and stack up the SUV but it aint worth a special visit. Mail order is about 200 also when delivery is thrown in.

So - I am agog. Where do you buy your pool salt at 110 baht a bag? How big is the bag and are there any minimum order sizes or delivery charges/collection costs you are not telling us aboutsmile.pngsmile.png. Probably Phuket, I'm guessing and maybe you are doing shared buying to cut down the storage.

Agree with the cycle times and use them. I know 2 time passes a day is the recommended standard and that's what I use (7am and 7pm start like you recommend - was just a bit tempted to flirt with slightly less than that, given how clean the pool is these days; probably a mistake).

I welcome the input and I think we've all just about done the subject to death (but done it proud nonetheless!)

Any other pool users in Sisaket or Ubon want to talk about doing split loads of salt in this neck of the woods?

Mods: salt v chlorine comes up a lot. This thread could be pinned.

110 Baht is for the refined salt ( orange bag )from TRS, the pool salt ( blue bag ) is 130 Baht a bag.

I'm in Pattaya and lucky I have a TRS dealer 1.5 Km to the West and one 5 km to the East, but both have only the refined salt. The pool salt I get from the TRS dealer in Chantaburi, who drops it off in Rayong and I pick it up there when I pass by.

You should contact TRS as they for sure must have a dealer, other than a pool shop, in your area as they have dealers all over the country. That is also how i got the contact details from the dealer in Chantaburi .

If you can get pool salt at 130 Baht a bag in Pattaya you may post the contact details, as it would be easier for me and I've never found pool salt in Pattaya.

• Like 1

Cyanuric acid is basically "sunscreen" for your pool. Sunlight destroys chlorine so the Cyanuric acid slows this down. For some reason Cyanuric acid is ridiculously expensive in Thailand. I run my pump/chlorinator for 8 hrs per day, 4 hrs in the morning and 4 hrs in the late afternoon. The chlorinator is set on 4 out of 8 and this maintains the correct chlorine level. I should add that my pool is shaded except for about 5-6 hours of the day and I don't use Cyanuric acid at all.

I agree that if people are complaining about the saltiness of your pool you must have the concentration too high. I can taste the salt in my pool, but just barely.

To the OP, Jessefrank has given you some very valuable and accurate information on pools, I agree with all his observations. There is so much misinformation out there it is good to see someone passing along useful information.

• Like 2

Sorry OP, you asked about overflow vs skimmer.....I missed that in my last post.

As to overflow pools there are basically 2 types. " infinitity" style and non. Then you have skimmer pools. In my opinion it really depends on personal preference and how you will use the pool. If you have kids (or adults) that like doing cannonballs into the pool then an infinity pool is not for you. The type that has grates around the entire perimeter can handle most of the high waves though. The grates are very expensive I should add, so that and the overflow tank will add to the cost. Overflow tanks I have seen are all concrete and of course positioned below the level of the pool so there is that consideration. I went skimmer as I have that before and had no problems.

One other thing that I don't believe was mentioned here is an automatic pool level maintainer. If you have an overflow pool this is standard I believe, but for my skimmer pool I missed this part in my pool construction and regret it to this day. I since purchased a wireless remote unit, but the basic ones are really trouble free (like a toilet tank float valve). Pools in Thailand can lose as much as 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of water per day to evaporation.

Good luck and happy pool days.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the informative replies so far guys, this is great. Googl'ing this stuff really only gets you one-sided POV's from pool vendors, and I never would have learnt some of things I've picked up here - priceless!

Summary of what I've learnt so far:

* Salt chlorination suits our purposes much better than chlorine, given this is a pool that won't be able to have daily maintenance.

* Hayward pumps are the best

* Aussie salt chlorinators are the best, but you need to import yourself to get a decent price.

* Zeolite has some big benefits over sand fitration

* Concrete is the construction method of choice

* Don't use sandwash around the pool perimeter

* Don't locate your pump/filter station underground

* Make sure your construction team know how to use a water level

* Overflow grating is a complete ripoff (side note: consider going into the grating business).

* Install a float valve so the water level can be automatically topped up.

I made some phone calls yesterday, and have only so far located a single Shotcrete/Gunite machine+operator for hire, but they're asking for 6,000 Baht/hr (not including concrete) - this seems incredibly expensive (no, pool wasn't mentioned, and this all happened in Thai language). Either these guys have the market cornered, or we need to keep looking... Any thoughts?

I also looked around the few Thai vendor websites selling accessories like underwater LED's and outrageous doesn't even begin to explain the prices I'm seeing. Has anyone got a lead on a Chinese pool LED vendor using CREE or Edison chips?... Or Thai vendor not adding a 100x multiplier?

We have now have almost set our hearts on a partial infinity/vanishing edge design with a small catchment. No we don't have fantastic views, but this has the potential to also double up as nice water feature at the pool entrance. Doing this also means the amount of pool above ground level would likely be 60-80cm range - which could pose some additional structural engineering challenges - has anyone got any insight they can offer when it comes to this style of pool? What sort of water volume (as a % of pool volume) does the catchment weir need to be able to hold? I've seen some pool vendors claiming that the waterproofing used on the pressure side is different to the non-pressure side as well... Are these guys just attempting to keep on shrouding it all in mystery, or is there some truth in this? (side note: Weber only make 2 types of pool waterproofing in TH, one for new pools, one for renovation).

One other question we still haven't found answers for are pool walls/floor finishing options available in TH. It seems most go for full tiles and I can see the sense in that, but I'd still like to understand what other options would be available?

At this stage, we are leaning towards handling the construction ourselves, but I would certainly feel much better having someone experienced do the design & engineering, and also the commissioning - does anyone know of specialty pool consultants in TH and how much we might expect to pay for a small (< 60sqm) pool?

Edited by IMHO

I also looked around the few Thai vendor websites selling accessories like underwater LED's and outrageous doesn't even begin to explain the prices I'm seeing. Has anyone got a lead on a Chinese pool LED vendor using CREE or Edison chips?... Or Thai vendor not adding a 100x multiplier?

Do a search on Ebay for a seller called Angandstu , the pool ights he sells are of decent quality, don't know what chip they use but I have them in my pool for 3 years now and they are nice and powerful. I have the ABS housing. I have mounted 3 lights for a 60m² pool which is more than sufficient. They are about 180$ include shipping, but if you can get in on one of his frequent auctions you can save 20$.

Don't bother with the Chinese listings, as it is a waste of money. Been there, got the t-shirt.

• Like 1

Do a search on Ebay for a seller called Angandstu , the pool ights he sells are of decent quality, don't know what chip they use but I have them in my pool for 3 years now and they are nice and powerful. I have the ABS housing. I have mounted 3 lights for a 60m² pool which is more than sufficient. They are about 180$ include shipping, but if you can get in on one of his frequent auctions you can save 20$.

Don't bother with the Chinese listings, as it is a waste of money. Been there, got the t-shirt.

Too late to edit, but it doesn't seem so easy to do a search on Ebay, guess they adopted the TV search function biggrin.png

So here's a link to the shop

http://stores.ebay.com/Locks-and-Lights?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Too late to edit, but it doesn't seem so easy to do a search on Ebay, guess they adopted the TV search function biggrin.png

I found them - you have to use the advanced search smile.png

Did a little searching around, and it appears 316 stainless bodies, IP68, with Cree/Edison RGB chips can be had for around $60-80 and an extra $10 for DMX control - which is kind of interesting (the pool will be adjacent to a 52sqm entertainment area that has a bunch of DMX lighting wink.png )

Chinese of course though sad.png

Edited by IMHO

I found them - you have to use the advanced search smile.png

Did a little searching around, and it appears 316 stainless bodies, with Cree/Edison RGB chips can be had for around $60-80 and an extra $10 for DMX control - which is kind of interesting (the pool is adjacent to a 52sqm entertainment area that has a bunch of DMX lighting wink.png

Chinese of course though sad.png

Can you post a link to those?

Here's one:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/DMX-RGB-led-underwater-light-pool_621491498.html

if you search for: 'IP68 316 Cree pool' you'll get tons more.. add the 'dmx' keyword of interested in that, and 'rgb' keyword if you want multi-color smile.png

Note: substitute Cree for Edison too - both are the best chips.

Edited by IMHO

Here's one:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/DMX-RGB-led-underwater-light-pool_621491498.html

if you search for: 'IP68 316 Cree pool' you'll get tons more.. add the 'dmx' keyword of interested in that, and 'rgb' keyword if you want multi-color smile.png

18 Watt is quite low powered, I'm sure you don't want to have your pool full of lamps.

I had a 17 Watt led in my jacuzzi and it was underpowered.

This is a picture of my pool with 3 x 32 Watt in the pool and 1 x 32 Watt on the Jacuzzi floor.

Edit : the biggest issue is the waterproofing, the Chines one I had was stainless 316 ( the rusting version of it biggrin.png ) and got water inside. The ones on ebay are fully resin filled, so almost impossible to get water inside.

post-197648-0-13452300-1393918839_thumb.

Edited by JesseFrank

Here's one:

18 Watt is quite low powered, I'm sure you don't want to have your pool full of lamps.

This is a picture of my pool with 3 x 32 Watt in the pool and 1 x 32 Watt on the Jacuzzi floor.

attachicon.gifJacuzzi.jpg

All depends on the lumens... cheap LED's are flat out making 20 lumens/watt - good LED's make up to 100 lumens/watt (white only).. The Cree/Edison RGB chips average around 60-80 lumens/watt, depending on driver and the chip bin - so you would expect this 18watt to produce at least 1,080 lumens, which is about 10% brighter than a 50w halogen in real terms.

Still, you have to be sure it's a real Cree/Edison chip, not Woo Fung Cree, or Golden Lucky Edison :P

Here's one:

attachicon.gifJacuzzi.jpg

All depends on the lumens... cheap LED's are flat out making 20 lumens/watt - good LED's make up to 100 lumens/watt (white only).. The Cree/Edison RGB chips average around 60-80 lumens/watt, depending on driver and the chip bin - so you would expect this 18watt to produce at least 1,080 lumens, which is about 10% brighter than a 50w halogen in real terms.

Still, you have to be sure it's a real Cree/Edison chip, not Woo Fung Cree, or Golden Lucky Edison tongue.png

But 50 Watt is nothing, most traditional pool lights are 300 Wat and above.

By the way I received yesterday 2 of these

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-lot-10W-RGB-12V-led-underwater-fountain-light-flash-waterproof-light-under-water-led-pond/1429717789.html.

Refund claim has been issued already smile.png

Good info there on lights guys. I need to to replace mine. When I had the pool constructed I specified LED lights, but since I knew nothing about them and was too busy with other stuff I just let the supplier supply them. Well as you already know that was a mistake. Too dim and one leaked so it is done. Will have to dig into that soon.

On another note. Cleaning of the pool. I have a pool guy who does mine twice a week for 2000B/mth. That includes 1 bag of salt and acid if required to maintain PH. He does an OK job except for one thing, backwashing. I was catching him backwashing the filter (Zeolite) about once a week. I tried to explain the function of the pressure gage to him and of course he said ok, understand. Then the next week there again is 500 gals of water going out to the ditch. Waste of water and salt. I work overseas and am away for 6 weeks at a time so I had no choice but to remove the handle from the filter to stop him doing this.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-lot-10W-RGB-12V-led-underwater-fountain-light-flash-waterproof-light-under-water-led-pond/1429717789.html.

300W Halogen is about the light output of a 50W Xenon - that's make people blind stuff - surely only for massive pools?

No real surprise on your return - "LED Type: High Brightness" is Chinese for "LED Type: cheapest" :P

If the manufacturer won't/can't tell you the chip manufacturer, model and bin number, it's a crap lamp.. I always request detailed photo of the chip, showing markings, and the driver circuit - that very quickly sorts out the bad from the good... (so far)

300W Halogen is about the light output of a 50W Xenon - that's make people blind stuff - surely only for massive pools?

No real surprise on your return - "LED Type: High Brightness" is Chinese for "LED Type: cheapest" tongue.png

If the manufacturer won't/can't tell you the chip manufacturer, model and bin number, it's a crap lamp.. I always request detailed photo of the chip, showing markings, and the driver circuit - that very quickly sorts out the bad from the good... (so far)

Why you not look at the online pool shops in Thailand, like pool-doctors for example, at their selection of halogen pool lights ?

You will see that their biggest selection is in the 300W range. Think everybody builds a massive pool these days?

As for the led I claim a refund for, they mention that the chip is from Epistar and that it is one of the best., who knows . By the way I bought it from Ebay, but it's the exact same product.

http://www.epistar.com.tw/_english/01_product/01_overview.php

Because Cree and Edison are claimed the best, doesn't mean they are the only good ones, and anything original you don't buy from sites like Alibaba or Aliexpress.

You should see how many electronics I have had for free from Aliexpress dealers, because as soon as you tell them that you open a counterfeit claim, they're pretty fast to return your money.smile.png

So, I have nice led's for sale for 10$, which chip you want me to send you a detailed picture from ?

200 baht was the cheapest source of the three recommended by TRS six months ago, JesseFrank. Most expensive was 350 (not joking)!!

Not sure I welcome the comment by CDNinkS that implies that only the unbridled supporter of salt pools knows what he's talking about and the rest of us are talking rubbish facepalm.gif That's not to say I am questioning JF's judgements at all - it's all about personal taste/perception

Edited by SantiSuk

200 baht was the cheapest source of the three recommended by TRS six months ago, JesseFrank. Most expensive was 350 (not joking)!!

Not sure I welcome the comment by CDNinkS that implies that only the unbridled supporter of salt pools knows what he's talking about and the rest of us are talking rubbish facepalm.gif That's not to say I am questioning JF's judgements at all - it's all about personal taste/perception

But can you share where in Pattaya you buy the pool salt for 130 Bht/bag ?

Strange, I always thought that TRS dealers, and then I mean that the only thing they sell is TRS salt, would have a fixed price for their products

Edited by JesseFrank

Not sure I welcome the comment by CDNinkS that implies that only the unbridled supporter of salt pools knows what he's talking about and the rest of us are talking rubbish facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif

Well Santisuk I sure hope you slather on the sunscreen when you go out because it appears you have very thin skin wink.png

I think you should go back and read my original post, because you have misquoted me entirely.

No real surprise on your return - "LED Type: High Brightness" is Chinese for "LED Type: cheapest" tongue.png

Why you not look at the online pool shops in Thailand, like pool-doctors for example, at their selection of halogen pool lights ?

You will see that their biggest selection is in the 300W range. Think everybody builds a massive pool these days?

As for the led I claim a refund for, they mention that the chip is from Epistar and that it is one of the best., who knows . By the way I bought it from Ebay, but it's the exact same product.

http://www.epistar.com.tw/_english/01_product/01_overview.php

Because Cree and Edison are claimed the best, doesn't mean they are the only good ones, and anything original you don't buy from sites like Alibaba or Aliexpress.

You should see how many electronics I have had for free from Aliexpress dealers, because as soon as you tell them that you open a counterfeit claim, they're pretty fast to return your money.smile.png

So, I have nice led's for sale for 10$, which chip you want me to send you a detailed picture from ?

Illuminating! smile.png I suspect it's not too comfortable on the eyes swimming underwater with a 5000+ lumens lamp staring back at you though?

I'll have to do some research on how lights transmits in water, and what sort of target lumens per m3 achieves the right look.. If people really are using hundreds upon hundreds of halogen watts to achieve the right illumination levels, it would seem prudent to spread that our over several lamps to avoid hotspots / blinding swimmers.. but conversely, the more lamps you have, the more points of failure you also have.. so it's a bit of a catch-22!

Edit: I should also say that now I know DMX control pool lamps exist, that's all I want, hehe :P This is a party pool after all, and there's almost 100K Baht worth of DMX controller and other DMX lights in the area adjacent, so it kinda makes sense to include the "party pool" in the light show :P

Edited by IMHO

OK - sorry if I misread CDNinkS, you must be right about the skinsorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRM.png

The one on Thepprasit, 500m form the Jomtien end JesseF. But that was 3 years ago and I am flying on memory, so hope I have not falsely raised your expectations.

Edited by SantiSuk

Thanks for all the informative replies so far guys, this is great. Googl'ing this stuff really only gets you one-sided POV's from pool vendors, and I never would have learnt some of things I've picked up here - priceless!

Summary of what I've learnt so far:

* Salt chlorination suits our purposes much better than chlorine, given this is a pool that won't be able to have daily maintenance.

* Hayward pumps are the best

* Aussie salt chlorinators are the best, but you need to import yourself to get a decent price.

* Zeolite has some big benefits over sand fitration

* Concrete is the construction method of choice

* Don't use sandwash around the pool perimeter

* Don't locate your pump/filter station underground

* Make sure your construction team know how to use a water level

* Overflow grating is a complete ripoff (side note: consider going into the grating business).

* Install a float valve so the water level can be automatically topped up.

I made some phone calls yesterday, and have only so far located a single Shotcrete/Gunite machine+operator for hire, but they're asking for 6,000 Baht/hr (not including concrete) - this seems incredibly expensive (no, pool wasn't mentioned, and this all happened in Thai language). Either these guys have the market cornered, or we need to keep looking... Any thoughts?

We have now have almost set our hearts on a partial infinity/vanishing edge design with a small catchment. No we don't have fantastic views, but this has the potential to also double up as nice water feature at the pool entrance. Doing this also means the amount of pool above ground level would likely be 60-80cm range - which could pose some additional structural engineering challenges - has anyone got any insight they can offer when it comes to this style of pool? What sort of water volume (as a % of pool volume) does the catchment weir need to be able to hold? I've seen some pool vendors claiming that the waterproofing used on the pressure side is different to the non-pressure side as well... Are these guys just attempting to keep on shrouding it all in mystery, or is there some truth in this? (side note: Weber only make 2 types of pool waterproofing in TH, one for new pools, one for renovation).

One other question we still haven't found answers for are pool walls/floor finishing options available in TH. It seems most go for full tiles and I can see the sense in that, but I'd still like to understand what other options would be available?

At this stage, we are leaning towards handling the construction ourselves, but I would certainly feel much better having someone experienced do the design & engineering, and also the commissioning - does anyone know of specialty pool consultants in TH and how much we might expect to pay for a small (< 60sqm) pool?

No takers on the shotcrete/gunite pricing, waterproofing, finishing options, or consultant prices?

There are plenty of people who built pools who quickly tire of them. A good idea for adding value to property, however. I always found it much cheaper and more enjoyable to use the unlimited supply of pools already available. Where I live, I just pay 50 baht for a swim and there is a good variety. Five star hotels, slide park pools, medicore 3 star pools, etc. Many only request a small fee ...and we usually get some food and drinks to go with it. Nice to get out and see whats around....I hate staying home all day. Met many farangs in these places, who were not all boozed up. Usually just passing through.

There are plenty of people who built pools who quickly tire of them. A good idea for adding value to property, however. I always found it much cheaper and more enjoyable to use the unlimited supply of pools already available. Where I live, I just pay 50 baht for a swim and there is a good variety. Five star hotels, slide park pools, medicore 3 star pools, etc. Many only request a small fee ...and we usually get some food and drinks to go with it. Nice to get out and see whats around....I hate staying home all day. Met many farangs in these places, who were not all boozed up. Usually just passing through.

This is for a weekend house in the home town... You would need to have a very loose definition of 'pool' and 'nearby' to go swimming in someone else's :)

• 8 years later...
On 3/2/2014 at 6:19 AM, bluebellpepper said:

Build my pool in 2001 using salt water (less salty than an eye drop) in combination with a Chloromatic system. This system is able to make chlorine from salt at a minimal level.

Ten years later I need to replace the pumps because of corrosion. I don't like chlorine so for me this is the system to go. I only had to purchase salt for maintenance. What I am looking at now is to change it to a natural pool:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/decorating-ideas/natural-swimming-pools-460908

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention them,especially with the wildlife it’ll attract like dragonflies etc. in Thailand a natural swimming pool HAS to be the way to go?

5 hours ago, Phnom Penh Trader said:

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention them,especially with the wildlife it’ll attract like dragonflies etc. in Thailand a natural swimming pool HAS to be the way to go?

That's a can of worms you'd never want to crack...

Especially in Thailand.