We favour a democratic Lanna republic, Chiang Mai group says

Lite Beer

If the headwaters of the Chao Phraya River were included in this hypothetical Lanna Republic, LR interference with those headwaters would cause Bangkok to be a dust bowl and salt intrusion would make its way north of Bangkok.The South isn't all as independent as some might believe from the upcountry.

A dictatorship Oh really People love a dictatorship Ummmmm and what about all the revolting around the world with regard to finished ditatorship

The human spirit does not like a dictatorship This idiot is just spewing rubbish 80% want a dictatorship Where are the studies. I think he misread it

80% of the people want freedom you nurd

Can't wait to see what the rice pledging scheme will look like in the Lanna PDR with no tax revenue. Perhaps they should check out how things are done in Laos.

Most people upthere actually believe that it is Thaksin himself who is funding it. Afterall that is what they are being told.

Remember during the floods when emergency shipments from various countries and organisations were repackaged to look like they were from Thaksin/PTP before being distributed to the people in need? I bet red shirt radio does soemthing similar when explaining where the rice subsidies are coming from.

"See everyone, or great leader Thaksin is paying alot more than market price for your rice, isn't he a great leader".

And when the money dried up "see everyone, those evil people in Bangkok have taken all Thaksin's money so he can no longer pay for your rice".

Edited by monkeycountry

Thai peoples can learn from Africa where new generations now understand that the West tries to divide tribes and make them fight with wicked Western propaganda so we try to have ONELUV and unity

Many problems in Thai come from Western instigators of trouble and I see now many Thai are very slowly learning to identify this behavior and peoples. True Luv comes from being UNITED and not DIVIDED

People who become divided are poor sad uneducated victims of propaganda machines.

Africa warns Thai people that Western media creates genocide happily at every opportunity so if Thai people do not wanna become Tutsi and Hutu fools then they need to wake up and learn the true meaning of LUV

Black people love most white peoples because they understand that the wicked white peoples are not the general white masses but their masters and propaganda machines

AMEN

Yay. .it's the falangs fault.

Whatever you think of the British occupation of various countries it has to be said that a lot of problems arose when they left and various tribes with no colonial power to fight (apart from Mugabe of course) simply started to fight amongst themselves for power. Nothing to do with the whites other than they left.

A dictatorship Oh really People love a dictatorship Ummmmm and what about all the revolting around the world with regard to finished ditatorship

The human spirit does not like a dictatorship This idiot is just spewing rubbish 80% want a dictatorship Where are the studies. I think he misread it

Can't wait to see what the rice pledging scheme will look like in the Lanna PDR with no tax revenue. Perhaps they should check out how things are done in Laos.

Most people upthere actually believe that it is Thaksin himself who is funding it. Afterall that is what they are being told.

Remember during the floods when emergency shipments from various countries and organisations were repackaged to look like they were from Thaksin/PTP before being distributed to the people in need? I bet red shirt radio does soemthing similar when explaining where the rice subsidies are coming from.

Except of course the subsides (sorry pledging) aren't anymore. I wonder how they explain how the EC is controlling Thaksin's money.

Petchawat said people who prefer dictatorship can move from the northern region to other parts of Thailand......therefore we advise foreigner to wear a red armband to show their sympanty or back up and move out

More Red irony is that he is Adviser to the Human Development and Security Minister in Prime Minister Yingluck's Cabinet.

Exactly. And being an adviser to a cabinet minister it is unbelievable Yingluck is appearing to be consensual to this idea by not refuting it. As I posted previously silence implies consent. In my opinion this is a dangerous path for Yingluck to go down. No pun intended..

• Like 1

Funny how he accuses Bangkok for wanting a dictatorship. Yet it is actually Thaksin that shows the most characteristics of a dictator. Lets see

1) Abuse of power for personal gain

2) Fleeing from justice

3) Trying to whitewash his crimes by implementing a new law

4) Tries to get an elected senate so that he can just buy his way in and replace all the members of the senate with friends/family

5) Having all political positions occupied by family members or friends.

A dictatorship is where you don't get to vote for the big boss.

Thaksin and Yingluck were both elected by the people, so not a dictatorship.

Ferdinand Marcos won election after election and was a classic example of a dictator.

Simply being elected doesn't exclude dictatorship.

• Like 2

That was reading quite feasibly until the "one of the richest men in the world".

He doesn't even figure in the top of thailand. He's very rich, but he isn't one of the richest in the world.

Regarding his wealth in comparison to his countrymen, there's lots of evidence to the contrary to your inaccurate statement. Not that anyone can truly know what his real worth is due to dubious holdings in shady African diamond, gold, and platinum mines as well as other investments in other people's names, such as his children's billionaire status on the SET (as if they are the true owners of the stock cheesy.gif ). Even on a conservative estimate, we have...

Thaksin remains one of that nations richest. Forbes conservatively estimated his familys holdings at $600 million this summer

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timferguson/2012/10/29/thaksin-in-exile-advising-sister-digging-for-gold/

Compare him with cp man or red bull etc.

He is not top table in South East Asia and Hong Kong. And as for the biggest wealth holder in Thailand. Well.

You overlook the complete off the radar status of his money. His hidden wealth, his multiple proxies, , etc. account for undeclared billions that CP and Red Bull don't have the luxury to keep away from prying eyes with legitimate businesses. Lord only knows how much he's raped the Thai Treasury since Yingluck has been PM, however the billions and billions missing from rice scheme can give an indication.

Not sure why you change the scope to SE Asia or Hong Kong, but he could very easily be the richest person in Thailand. To say he's not even near the top tier of the wealthy in Thailand is extremely naive and inaccurate.

They all have exactly the same proxy tax systems. The original statement was one of the richest in the world. Where is he? Top 100? 200?

I.e. he cannot support limitless political activities on his own indefinitely.

If the headwaters of the Chao Phraya River were included in this hypothetical Lanna Republic, LR interference with those headwaters would cause Bangkok to be a dust bowl and salt intrusion would make its way north of Bangkok.The South isn't all as independent as some might believe from the upcountry.

I would think that would be seen as an act of aggression - and I doubt any new nation would want to being with funding a war (no one knows where the military will even end up after such a split - but my betting would be with the King). It would also cause serious flooding in the north - wiping out those rice fields. It is a threat with blunt teeth - or more accurately a double edged blade with no handle..

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 1

No doubt they would bring Thaksin back as their democratic elected leader for life, succeeded by his son.

They would have their red army, red schools, red law for the masses with leaders exempt and anyone who didn't agree with them would be banned, like the singers.

I think they'll need an income course first......won't be able to plunder the treasury any more......

But.....on the other hand, there would probably be a new super highway from Chiang Mai to the new Dewei Port in Myanmar....would be really handy for the northern people!

"See everyone, or great leader Thaksin is paying alot more than market price for your rice, isn't he a great leader".

And when the money dried up "see everyone, those evil people in Bangkok have taken all Thaksin's money so he can no longer pay for your rice".

You're probably not far off the mark if at all. A lot of my neighbors believe Thaksin paid off the IMF debt with his own money. Of course this came from the Puyai Ban in his 6:00am red rantings.

• Like 1

Wow so much hatred on this site. Don't think I'll be here long.

Looks like democracy is onlly allowed here if mr Abhisit is in power.

The army are struggling in the south against a few hundred terrorists. what makes anybody think they could put down a movement this large in the North.

Ah well. Enjoy your rabid posts against the Government. see you tomorrow.

• Like 2

This idea is unworkable. In fact, it is hardly worthy of consideration. These deep thinkers seem to be suggesting an autonomous zone, consisting of what, the former Lanna kingdom? The citizens of Isaan would want their autonomy as well. And of course the ever-restive South wants their own country, too, or maybe to become part of a greater Malaysia.

And then we see this term "republic" mentioned more than once. Republic and monarchy are mutually exclusive entities. If you have a republic (a lofty ideal without many examples in the modern day) you no longer have a kingdom.

Won't happen.

• Like 1

The army are struggling in the south against a few hundred terrorists. what makes anybody think they could put down a movement this large in the North.

Enjoy your rabid posts against the Government.

Pot and kettle comes to mind.

• Like 1

Hmmm….landlocked country with hostile neighbour controlling all the trade and transport links. Yep, that'll work.

It would not be land locked

Location_Lanna_%28under_King_Tilok%29.pn

Looks land locked to me.

Can you explain why it is not?

You mean you haven't you seen Plodrasop's plans for a high speed canal? smile.png

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

I would think that would be seen as an act of aggression - and I doubt any new nation would want to being with funding a war (no one knows where the military will even end up after such a split - but my betting would be with the King). It would also cause serious flooding in the north - wiping out those rice fields. It is a threat with blunt teeth - or more accurately a double edged blade with no handle..

Looks like he is proposing a low tech variant of the North Korean model, "give us stuff or we'll lob a few shells/torpedoes/nukes your way"

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."

I'm starting to think no one in this country actually knows (or at least understands) what Democracy actually is ! They all seem to think it means "You get to vote, but only if you vote for me and I get absolute power and can do anything I want and don't have to answer to you, the people that were foolish enough to vote for me."

And then they trot out the old "If we don't get our version of "democracy", we'll separate/secede/force you to accept our version, or else !" threats. (Because that reasoning seems to work so well in other places, doesn't it ?)

Like so many of the religious conflicts, "my version of (xxxx) is better than your version of (same or different xxxx), so that means you're evil and anything you do is evil and I can do whatever I want to you because my version is the right one."

Here we have "my democracy is better than your democracy" and "your laws are unfair because they benefit you and me and I only want them to benefit me" and "it's OK for us to call you uncomplimentary names, but if you do the same we're going to sulk and threaten to secede" !

One must always try to peer through the smoke, peel the layers off the onion, look behind the rhetoric and try to find the real motives behind such people. Most people have an agenda and the more fervently they believe in that agenda, the more willing they are to use literally any means possible to achieve it. They can always find ways to justify their actions, and twist the facts to try and convince others that their methods are just (and if you don't believe it, that must mean you are "one of them" and need to be purged).

If your agenda is to gain power you otherwise would not be able to acquire, then surely lies, corruption and violence are suitable means to an end, are they not ? If you can convince people that it is for the "greater" good of your "people", then almost any action can be justified. Having a "bad guy" that people can identify with (i.e. "Bangkok") makes it easier to rally them to your cause and face it, individuals may be smart but once they are in a crowd they become mindless sheep. Someone you can relate to gets up on a podium and starts talking, people will believe almost anything he/she says not matter how outlandish it sounds.

And then the problem is, once they start believing, it is almost impossible to alter their perceptions. Even if their very own leaders admit that they lied/cheated/murdered, large portions of their followers simply would not be able to accept the truth and would look for ways to excuse it, or shift the blame elsewhere, much like a certain poster in this thread has tried to do by blaming "the west" for all the ills of the world.

This is history repeating itself and for similar reasons. "Us" against "them". The question that remains is, what will the end result be this time ?

• Like 1

Funny how he accuses Bangkok for wanting a dictatorship. Yet it is actually Thaksin that shows the most characteristics of a dictator. Lets see

1) Abuse of power for personal gain

2) Fleeing from justice

3) Trying to whitewash his crimes by implementing a new law

4) Tries to get an elected senate so that he can just buy his way in and replace all the members of the senate with friends/family

5) Having all political positions occupied by family members or friends.

A dictatorship is where you don't get to vote for the big boss.

Thaksin and Yingluck were both elected by the people, so not a dictatorship.

Ferdinand Marcos won election after election and was a classic example of a dictator.

Simply being elected doesn't exclude dictatorship.

Well said, and not only that, re my previous posts on them (TRT PTP) changing the constituencies to favour the result.

These people have said that they just want decentralisation, not secession. And if you want to bring examples from other countries into it, look at the case of self proclaimed secessionists in Scotland, Wales, Western Australia, or multiple places in Canada. In modern times, as valid or invalid as their causes may be, I have seen no calls for them to be put in jail.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I know what you are saying, and in a way you are right. However can you imagine the Scottish, or for that matter the French Canadians descending on the capital cities, dressed and armed like an army. Can you imagine them attacking (violently and sometimes fatally) anyone who disagrees? Thailand is very different to the places you have mentioned. When that muppet in Scotland talks about secession even the scots laugh at him. When the UDD/red hrode/loveCM lot talk then everyone has to take notice, no matter how unlikely. They have shown a willingness to use violence and a complete disregard for human life. This means the army, the government and Thai's in general need to be a little concerned. Decentralisation is not the way forward for Thailand. As for free and fair elections, seriously? PTP and the reds and quite probably the dems down south, all paid for votes. Does this meet a free and fair standard? People have been forced out of the village to vote, and told who to vote for. My Ex-GF is from Khon Kaen and has been paid to vote. Anti-democratic actions have come from both sides, you really need to remove the red tinted spectacles you are wearing. Stopping people from voting (PDRC/PCAD) was undemocratic. Burning down central world, shooting people, throwing grenades, is also undemocratic, and thats not from "...the other side..."

How can you have a king as head of state in a republic?

I do not think they intended to unless it be the man from Dubai... whistling.gif

They are playing with fire.

"The King shall be enthroned in a position of revered worship and shall not be violated. No person shall expose the King to any sort of accusation or action." Thai Criminal Code elaborates in Article 112: "Whoever defames, insults or threatens the King, Queen, the Heir-apparent or the Regent, shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A8se-majest%C3%A9

I think proposing to turn half of ones kingdom into a republic, or even acknowledging them when one is PM could fall foul of this article inscribed in the Constitution coffee1.gif

Edited by Basil B

You do know that the Rak Chiang Mai 51 group is associated with a number of hateful acts? Just bringing that up because I think it is absurd to project support of Rak Chiang Mai 51 group as an anti-hate POV.

For people who want details just google:

Rak Chiang Mai 51 group hate

Edited by Jingthing

'Put down' being the operative words. beatdeadhorse.gif

Goodbye Jenny.

• Like 1