We favour a democratic Lanna republic, Chiang Mai group says

Lite Beer

"In the Northeast, meanwhile, the red-shirt movement began its first day of registration of "democracy defence volunteers". There was also a similar campaign in Maha Sarakham". Seems to be they are now "drafting" conscripts for their army.

• Like 1

This will not take place, but it could be done in a milder form of separation, that is to say that Thailand agrees to create three "states" ... North & North-East, Central, and South.

Thailand will of course retain a central government that controls matters of ... foreign policy, finance matters, THB control, and all military aspects.

The three new states will then control all the other political aspects within their region, and the population of the state regions might be happy with it.

Don't forget Pattani.

They've been fighting for a separate state for five decades then along comes Queen Booticea and hey ho we've got three independent states in five minutes.... but not Pattani.

How ironic would that be?

So in this new Democratic Lanna Republic people will be free to establish a Democrats Party or a Yellow Shirt party and contest the elections. Right?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Whatever you say about the Red Shirts, the one thing they are not is anti-democratic. But the whole question is pretty academic since the last I heard the Yellow Shirts and the "Democrats" had vowed to oppose elections until "Thailand was completely rid of Shinawatra influence" (read forever since people in the North aren't going to forget them anytime soon). If they won't even bother to contest nationwide elections, then what are the chances of them running in elections in Lanna-Isan?

Though hopefully Lanna-Isan would also have an independent judiciary that wouldn't let them get away with things like sending armed thugs out on election day to attack people wanting to vote ...

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Whatever you say about the Red Shirts, the one thing they are not is anti-democratic."

Until you want to hold a small peaceful gathering, up here in Chiang Mai, when you suddenly discover exactly how tolerant or democratic the local Reds really are. bah.gif

<<<< Link to Bangkok Post removed as per forum rule 31 >>>>

http://altthainews.blogspot.com/2013/12/thailand-smaller-more-important-rally.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Red-shirts-force-anti-government-group-to-call-off-30226976.html

Edited by metisdead
31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be dele
  • Like 2

Ok let me get this straight - Petchawat said "people who prefer dictatorship can move from the northern region to other parts of Thailand"... so Chiangmai is a democracy, right? But... a big BUT... Petchawat then, in the same sentence, "warned actors and singers supporting the anti-government People Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) that Chiang Mai people do not welcome them." What sort of democracy is this? Seriously, if this Petchawat-or-whatever is not stupid, I don't know what is

I won't go as far as calling the red shirts 'buffaloes' or anything of that sort. If I could, I'll just let them take Chiangmai. Heck, get Thaksin back, for whatever it's worth. Let him be the democratically-elected President-of-whatever for life. Then let's see how long Chiangmai denizens could last before they start to scamper out of that state.

• Like 2

Australia manages pretty well with seven federal states, one federal capital and a distant Monarch as head of state

Thailand would not do worse with devolved powers for Isaan, the North, Central and South and maybe South East, with foreign policy and central government provided by Bangkok.

Capital and labour would flow to the states with the cleanest government, lowest taxes, and best practices.

Even small countries such as Switzerland with three languages is a federation. The UK similarly recognises the regional differences between England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

I think its a great idea, worth serious consideration

Australia was separate colonies of England that decided to join together, not a single country that decided to split apart. How well did Queensland's suggestion of succession go 20 or 30 years ago?

I am getting so sick of all the posters who say Thaksin's corruption conviction was a travesty of justice. It was a blatant violation of the 97 constitution and Thaksin was warned of this by many people. He elected to ignore them and his wife bought the land anyway with his approval. He felt that hr was above the law, and ad long as hr was PM he was, no one would challenge him. The only travesty of justice was that his wife wasn't convicted also.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I seem to remember Yingluck when she became PM said they would look at his conviction to make see if there were any problems with it.

Not heard anything since.

• Like 1

When bangkok receives 14 times the public service spending per head to the rest of the country, there has to be something that needs to be done to modify that situation.

Yes, I agree, the system is completely lopsided and broken. This is why reforms are so desperately needed.

You think Suthep bunch are going to enact this reform?

Do what?

Reduce Bangkok's spend and move it outside? Or tax everyone more to spend it in the regions?

Somehow I don't think that type of reform is what Suthep was thinking about.

You think in Isaan they work hard? Or try to do anything other than drink.

Too many of them do not work , but not because there are no jobs, because they do not want to work for small money.

What skill or education do they have to get more money? None and no desire to improve

Farmers only harvesting once, while the rest of the time doing nothing .

Those who work hard are not poor and not the ones complaining

Did you really call half of thailand.lazy?

Without these people half of the businesses in thailand would cease functioning tomorrow.

You sir are enormous part of the problem. Bangkok swallows a massively disproportionate amount of cash. So when kids in isaan are squeezed 50 to a class I will remember this arrogant attitude. U are a first class piece of s**t.

• Like 1

I am surprised how much they want to keep the country in one piece. We here derogarory posts about red buffaloes, lazy farmers, drunks, one Bangkok vote should be worth 3,000 isaan votes etc.

This is the majority of the country here, the region that provieds most factory workers, drivers, hotel staff, maids for Bangkok rich to exploit. Also produce all the rice and most fruit and veg for exports.

About time BKK learend to recognise they are people and vote how they like and about time these votes were respected.

Lanna would work better without BKK middle class, than BKK middle class would work without all the millions of Northerners working here.

Sure it is a fantasy and more from anger than anything else, but this anger and resentment is building. Lets hope they don't have to rise up to overturn a Junta.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The elections that pro-red parties have won have been declared by international observers to be free and fair. The anti-democratic actions have been coming from the other side (disrupting elections, trying to install an unelected people's council). Please face the facts.

And what legal basis is there for putting these people in jail? They have said that they are not calling for independence, only for decentralisation, and the right to have local affairs managed by people they have elected (as opposed to from Bangkok, where the people they vote for keep getting overthrown by coups and other underhanded means, with the support of a populace that considers them "too stupid to vote").

This kind of proposal is perhaps the one thing that can stop Thailand from slipping into civil war. Arresting these people is just going to get people advocating real republicanism / secessionists, and increase the odds of civil war even further.

"And what legal basis is there for putting these people in jail?"

Do you think that the law of Thailand agrees to separatism or to people that want to split up the country? In most countries it's a very serious offence.

These people have said that they just want decentralisation, not secession. And if you want to bring examples from other countries into it, look at the case of self proclaimed secessionists in Scotland, Wales, Western Australia, or multiple places in Canada. In modern times, as valid or invalid as their causes may be, I have seen no calls for them to be put in jail.

You are correct Thailand Noob, the ignorance of many of these Thai visa posters never ceases to amaze me, they don't seem to be able to read and comprehend the OP rolleyes.gif FWIW I don't think it will come to something like this because a year from now suthep and his cronies will be a distant memory thumbsup.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The elections that pro-red parties have won have been declared by international observers to be free and fair. The anti-democratic actions have been coming from the other side (disrupting elections, trying to install an unelected people's council). Please face the facts.

And what legal basis is there for putting these people in jail? They have said that they are not calling for independence, only for decentralisation, and the right to have local affairs managed by people they have elected (as opposed to from Bangkok, where the people they vote for keep getting overthrown by coups and other underhanded means, with the support of a populace that considers them "too stupid to vote").

This kind of proposal is perhaps the one thing that can stop Thailand from slipping into civil war. Arresting these people is just going to get people advocating real republicanism / secessionists, and increase the odds of civil war even further.

"And what legal basis is there for putting these people in jail?"

Do you think that the law of Thailand agrees to separatism or to people that want to split up the country? In most countries it's a very serious offence.

These people have said that they just want decentralisation, not secession. And if you want to bring examples from other countries into it, look at the case of self proclaimed secessionists in Scotland, Wales, Western Australia, or multiple places in Canada. In modern times, as valid or invalid as their causes may be, I have seen no calls for them to be put in jail.

You are correct Thailand Noob, the ignorance of many of these Thai visa posters never ceases to amaze me, they don't seem to be able to read and comprehend the OP rolleyes.gif FWIW I don't think it will come to something like this because a year from now suthep and his cronies will be a distant memory thumbsup.gif

Seems like the Democratic Lanna Republic will be a distant memory soon too.

"Third Army Region commander Lt Gen Preecha Chan-ocha, whose has authority over areas in the North, said yesterday that secessionist and related activities - including preparation for such action - were illegal under Articles 113 and 114 of the Criminal Code.

Preecha said the charges would primarily relate to the activities of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) leaders in Chiang Mai and Phayao.

The first red-shirt groups to face sedition charges would be Rak Chiang Mai 51 and Red Shirt Phayao"

"Third Army Region commander Lt Gen Preecha Chan-ocha, whose has authority over areas in the North, said yesterday that secessionist and related activities - including preparation for such action - were illegal under Articles 113 and 114 of the Criminal Code.

Preecha said the charges would primarily relate to the activities of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) leaders in Chiang Mai and Phayao.

The first red-shirt groups to face sedition charges would be Rak Chiang Mai 51 and Red Shirt Phayao"

We now wait for the completely independent and unbiased CM branch of the RTP to act on this complaint.

I thought this Secession business is illegal! and carries a heavy sentence.

Its got the attention of Gen Prayuth now, and legal proceedings have started.

Anything from Yingluck?

Anything from Red Shirt Boss Thida?

Nothing from the traitorous Thai Rouge.

They are either decided that its time to pack their bags and leave or they are up to more no good.

"that its time to pack their bags" I pray this will be the wisest words you have ever spoken!

We now wait for the completely independent and unbiased CM branch of the RTP to act on this complaint.

or they could invite the Russians to send in a few battalions to prevent "disorder"

Actually the Chinese army is much closer....

this people so stupid.

go away from my country please !!

"These people are so stupid". As a Thai citizen, I would appreciate it if you and your lot left my country too! You are ignorant, bring nothing but trouble, speak in double-tongues, and tarnish Thailand's international reputation. Elections are *critical* to democracy, Khun Kwai Lueung; the opposite form of government - unelected panels - are *always* associated with authoritarian regimes (aka dictatorships). I honestly don't understand why you guys don't simply move to Laos or Burma: countries that already embrace your political ideology! Wouldn't that be easier?

I am ashamed to say that some of my family members associate themselves with your group. I no longer consider myself related! You and your supporters disgust me.

- Samui Lucas

Edited by llopatka
  • Like 1

I am getting so sick of all the posters who say Thaksin's corruption conviction was a travesty of justice. It was a blatant violation of the 97 constitution and Thaksin was warned of this by many people. He elected to ignore them and his wife bought the land anyway with his approval. He felt that hr was above the law, and ad long as hr was PM he was, no one would challenge him. The only travesty of justice was that his wife wasn't convicted also.

I seem to remember Yingluck when she became PM said they would look at his conviction to make see if there were any problems with it.

Not heard anything since.

Until the amnesty bill was modified at the last minute to include his conviction.

They couldn't overturn it on appeal after he fled, then the pardon avenue to exoneration proved to be a complete bust, so then let's just rewrite the parliamentary bill to do away with his conviction.

Sleazy and shameless.

I reckon this is another ploy to get Thaksin back into the country.

If the country "Lanna" were to come into being and since Thaksin has committed no crime there, he would be able to enter "Lanna" quite freely.

I wonder how much it costs to set up a bureaucracy from scratch. There would be new departments for tax, immigration, education (very small), land and countless other services all of which would need to be up and running from the word go.

this people so stupid.

"These people are so stupid". As a Thai citizen, I would appreciate it if you and your lot left my country too! You are ignorant, bring nothing but trouble, and you speak in double-tongues. Elections are *critical* to democracy, Khun Kwai Lueung; the opposite form of government - unelected panels - are *always* associated with authoritarian regimes (aka dictatorships). I honestly don't understand why you guys don't simply move to Laos or Burma: countries that already embrace your political ideology! Wouldn't that be easier?

I am ashamed to say that some of my family members associate themselves with your group. I no longer consider myself related! You disgust me.

- Samui Lucas

My thai wife laugh when she read you post

First she agree with you

but second she said you do not speak like a thai

You speak like a falang pretending to be Thai

So I ask her does that make you a FAKE THAI

ooops I said the wrong thing we are still not talking

this people so stupid.

"These people are so stupid". As a Thai citizen, I would appreciate it if you and your lot left my country too! You are ignorant, bring nothing but trouble, and you speak in double-tongues. Elections are *critical* to democracy, Khun Kwai Lueung; the opposite form of government - unelected panels - are *always* associated with authoritarian regimes (aka dictatorships). I honestly don't understand why you guys don't simply move to Laos or Burma: countries that already embrace your political ideology! Wouldn't that be easier?

I am ashamed to say that some of my family members associate themselves with your group. I no longer consider myself related! You disgust me.

- Samui Lucas

My thai wife laugh when she read you post

First she agree with you

but second she said you do not speak like a thai

You speak like a falang pretending to be Thai

So I ask her does that make you a FAKE THAI

ooops I said the wrong thing we are still not talking

TV Hub of fake Thais. coffee1.gif

No doubt they would bring Thaksin back as their democratic elected leader for life, succeeded by his son.

They would have their red army, red schools, red law for the masses with leaders exempt and anyone who didn't agree with them would be banned, like the singers.

"Democratic" Lanna Republic, as democratic as North Korea. The Thai armed forces should act quickly here, these people have to be put in jail.

Now that's North Korean style!

"No doubt they would bring Thaksin back as their democratic elected leader for life, succeeded by his son." Where do they come up with this garbage? So what if a guy wins two or three elections in a row? Totally normal, and natural occurance: look at any G8 country! Give us a party other than the Democrats as an opposition: I'm sure there are plenty of able-minded citizens like myself who would vote that party in so this mess can go away! And why, exactly, are we comparing Thailand and North Korea? I don't see millions of starving people. C'mon, man....

Hmmm….landlocked country with hostile neighbour controlling all the trade and transport links. Yep, that'll work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It would not be land locked, would control much of the raw product Bangkok needs to function water, labor, electrical power, rice etc.

You must have not understood what was stated, if Bangkok wanted an "appointed dictatorship", which most of democratic Thailand will not agree to!

Cheers

Either you don't know what "land locked" means, or you have a very poor grasp of the geography of Thailand. The idea that the people of Bangkok want a dictatorship is ridiculous. What the majority of Bangkok, Central Thailand, and the South want is a democracy not headed by the corrupt Shinawatra family, just like people in Russia who want a true democracy want it without the corrupt Putin in control.

No doubt they would bring Thaksin back as their democratic elected leader for life, succeeded by his son.

They would have their red army, red schools, red law for the masses with leaders exempt and anyone who didn't agree with them would be banned, like the singers.

"Democratic" Lanna Republic, as democratic as North Korea. The Thai armed forces should act quickly here, these people have to be put in jail.

"No doubt they would bring Thaksin back as their democratic elected leader for life, succeeded by his son." Where do they come up with this garbage? So what if a guy wins two or three elections in a row? Totally normal, and natural occurance: look at any G8 country! Give us a party other than the Democrats as an opposition: I'm sure there are plenty of able-minded citizens like myself who would vote that party in so this mess can go away! And why, exactly, are we comparing Thailand and North Korea? I don't see millions of starving people. C'mon, man....

Well, they took the farmer's rice and then didn't pay them for it. It the kind of thing the North Korean government does, isn't it?

I come from a G8 country and we haven't had a rich tycoon, his brother in law, and then his sister being Prime Minister in near succession to each other. If you don't think Thaksin's ambition was to be PM/President for life, regardless of any laws he might have broken, you weren't paying attention from 2001-2006.

Well, they took the farmer's rice and then didn't pay them for it. It the kind of thing the North Korean government does, isn't it?

I come from a G8 country and we haven't had a rich tycoon, his brother in law, and then his sister being Prime Minister in near succession to each other. If you don't think Thaksin's ambition was to be PM/President for life, regardless of any laws he might have broken, you weren't paying attention from 2001-2006.

If they had let the elections roll normally, and the Democrat opposition would stop sucking up to the military like they have been since 1946, we wouldn't be in this situation. Let TRT/Puea Thai or whatever incarnation of theirs finish their term, and vote for someone else! If they don't get out, then *that* is when you have the protests. It certainly doesn't help that the *corrupt to the core* Election Commission shreds the legitimacy of everyone but the Dems. I was there in 2001, and from 2004-2010. I was at the protests. I had f***ing bullets shot at me. My vending machines got shot up with bullet-fire. I lost my company over the mess! That's what the mandarins and their yellow supporters hailed on us.

Agree to disagree, but I can see where you're coming from... screw Thaksin and his sister! I could care less. I just wish people would stop messing with the electoral process!

Edited by llopatka
  • Like 1

Not a good idea to put yours or anyone else's phone number on a forum - unless its a fake number!!!

It'll get zapped soon enough... I am insulted and I'm posting on the off-chance that some moron is gonna dare call me a *fake* Thai to my Mom. There are ignorant people on both sides of this debate, and that is *exactly* what is tearing my country apart. Given that, I would argue that my comments have been completely on-topic.

Edited by llopatka
  • Like 2

Not a good idea to put yours or anyone else's phone number on a forum - unless its a fake number!!!

It'll get zapped soon enough... I am insulted and I'm posting on the off-chance that some moron is gonna dare call me a *fake* Thai to my Mom.

If it means anything to you - I believe you are Thai - Ponchi though is not Thai!!

• Like 1

It'll get zapped soon enough... I am insulted and I'm posting on the off-chance that some moron is gonna dare call me a *fake* Thai to my Mom.

If it means anything to you - I believe you are Thai - Ponchi though is not Thai!!

Lol! Agreed! And thanks :)