Getting a retirement visa in Bangkok

With the recent visa application procedure changes in the UK (and probably elsewhere) it looks like the option of obtaining a non-immigrant O visa (now called non-immig O-A long stay) for my situation is next to impossible - unless of course you are prepared to spend days of your holiday in the UK chasing round police reports, doctors certificates, notaries blah blah blah. (I am 60 years old, no Thai wife)

So it looks like obtaining a 'retirement visa' in Thailand is now the best way to go.

I am aware that different immigration offices interpret the rules differently so I would like some help in planning for an application for Chaeng Wattana, Bangkok.

I hope to come into Thailand on a Tourist Visa (2 or 3 entries) which I believe I will have to obtain either in person or by post from the London Thai consulate (I will be staying in London so no plans to visit Hull, Swansea, Birmingham etc).

My intention would be to apply for a one year extension based on retirement.

I will have 800,000 baht in the bank, already seasoned for 2 months.

I believe I need some sort of doctors report and maybe a letter from the bank.

Basically I would like to have some reassurance that I can get the retirement visa by extending a tourist visa. I am currently on a one year non-immig O visa but was not preparing to apply for the retirement visa until later this year when I return from the UK.

You convert the Tourist Visa to a Non Imm Visa at Immigration. 2,000 Baht.

You then apply for the 12 month extension. 1,900 Baht

Sometimes they do it in one process, sometimes you have to go back for the extension.

The bank will supply a letter showing the deposit. They will know what is needed and charge around 200 Baht.

Up to date bank book also needed.

There is no requirement for a Doctors certificate.

You can do a change of visa status from a tourist visa to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry based upon being qualified for an extension based upon retirement. You can do it with a single entry tourist visa but would need to do it before you have less than 15 days reaming on your entry. You would only need letters from the bank to confirm your balance of 800k baht and that funds were transferred to Thailand from abroad. A medical certificate is not needed.

After you do the change you could then apply for a one an extension of stay 60 days after you do the change. You would need another bank letter confirming your balance and copies of you bank book to prove the funds have been in the bank for 60 days.

Good guidance. Thanks. Out of curiosity... what about the clean criminal slate from the consulate. Is it an optional bit or must have? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Basic requirements for getting a OA visa at an embassy or official consulate in your home country can be found here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

But there may be differences between info and what the embassy or consulate will want.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic here.

I have an investment the value of which greatly exceeds the 800k requirement. I take a quarterly dividend that enhances my monthly pensions and brings me just over the required monthly 65k income level. My question here is can/will this lump sum be included in my total for when I make my application

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Slightly off topic here.

I have an investment the value of which greatly exceeds the 800k requirement. I take a quarterly dividend that enhances my monthly pensions and brings me just over the required monthly 65k income level. My question here is can/will this lump sum be included in my total for when I make my application

Income from any source is acceptable in making up the required 65K

Remember that immigration officers have the right to demand evidence of the source /nature if the income.

Edit

It is extremely unlikely that an "investment" would be accepted as it is not in a cash form and presumably not in Thailand.

Edited by thepool
  • Like 1

thepool....... Many thanks for your swift reply. I can make the 65k from my pensions and the income from the investment, I was just hoping it could be taken into account too. I can withdraw it but it would then impact in my monthly income.

Once again many thanks

Regards

Rob

thepool....... Many thanks for your swift reply. I can make the 65k from my pensions and the income from the investment, I was just hoping it could be taken into account too. I can withdraw it but it would then impact in my monthly income.

Once again many thanks

Regards

Rob

You have to prove your income to your embassy if asked for. It depends upon what they will accept.

Income from investments can be used as long as you can prove it.

The majority of immigration offices do not ask for back up proof of your income and if they do the best proof is showing a Thai bank book showing regular transfers into the account. You do not have to prove you bring all your money into the country.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ubonjoe.........

Many thanks. I am from UK and will be coming across later this year, is it the Thai embassy in UK that needs to have the verification evidence??

You will need an "income verification " letter which is obtained from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

If applying for an O or O/A visa the Thai Embassy in London may/will need evidence of adequate funds as part of the visa application process.

• Like 1

ubonjoe.........

Many thanks. I am from UK and will be coming across later this year, is it the Thai embassy in UK that needs to have the verification evidence??

If you are doing an extension of stay here it will be at the UK embassy in Bangkok. Info can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

• Like 1

Sometimes they do it in one process, sometimes you have to go back for the extension.

The bank will supply a letter showing the deposit. They will know what is needed and charge around 200 Baht.

I just got a 12 month retirement extension in Samui and they asked for a medical cert and charged me 5000 baht!

I just got a 12 month retirement extension in Samui and they asked for a medical cert and charged me 5000 baht!

Who charged 5000 Bht and for what exactly ?

Samui immigration has been reported several times as charging 5000 baht for an extension of stay. The advice given is to put 1900 baht in an envelope and write 1900 baht for fee on it and give it to them.

Of course the medical certificate is not required according to the rules.

Samui immigration has been reported several times as charging 5000 baht for an extension of stay. The advice given is to put 1900 baht in an envelope and write 1900 baht for fee on it and give it to them.

Are receipts issued for the 5000 bht extension of stay fee ?

Are receipts issued for the 5000 bht extension of stay fee ?

I'll give you 3 guesses! No receipt the thieving b*st*rds. They receipted my passport for the 500 baht they charged me for being a day late however! How do they get away with it?

Because people do not challenge them !

As was suggested 1900 Bht placed in a sealed envelope and marked 1900 Bht extension fee handed over with the other documents should be enough to avoid the possibility of confrontation .

Placing yourself in an overstay situation was also unwise and could have resulted in them (legitimately) refusing to process the extension.

Edited by thepool

I didn't overstay deliberately, I'm afraid that with age comes a bad memory and I had it in my head that I had until the 9th March. We live and learn don't we!

Never suggested anything deliberate!

A big calendar ( usually given free by your bank) is a good aid- memoir if one remembers to mark it ! smile.png