Finnish Man Lays Down in Road and Tour Bus Runs Over Him

Rimmer

O.M.G. So, So, Sad..

Poor man, imagine his last moments,

There must of been a better option than that, he could of went home to ''Finland'' and got help.., but i suppose when you are so so down, you dont think like that...

Heart goes out to him..

R.i.P.

SAD....

could have, would have, should have, but only he knew what he was doing.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the guy was standing when the bus hit him one would expect to see evidence of this on the front upper bodywork of the bus. If he was lying down then the only evidence should be under the bus, probably around the wheels. Whether anyone will investigate that closely is another matter.

That road is dangerous.

• Like 2

Has anyone EVER heard of someone commuting suicide this was?

So, what odds its suicide, or the driver just ran over someone?

Yes more than once in USA & Australia.

In fact witnessed one on the Freeway in Perth a few years ago. Guy jumped the Barrier raced onto Freeway and Knelt down praying style facing a Tractor Trailer Truck (15tonner) at 80kmh. Messy.

The fact that the Head was crushed could suggest that the victim was prone BUT doesn't factually mean he laid down.

Had a victim with a Crushed head at a Bus Station she crossed the road in front of another Bus that was at the stop without due care and went under the front wheel.

Without witnesses you cannot know.

R I P the victim

Unless there is a different source, it seems the only witness to this tragic suicide was the bus driver.

This post started me thinking.

What if the bus driver was speeding and this guy was just casually (drunk or not) crossing the road, hopefully we will find out the truth.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

In Asia there are many truths.

The truth in this case will probably work out in what you read until now.

And there it will stand.

Finnish man “throws himself under coach” in Jomtien
PATTAYA:--A Russian Tour Bus driver claims a foreign man threw himself under his coach in the early hours of Sunday as he returned a group of Russian Tourists to their hotel following a trip to Koh Chang.

The incident occurred on Jomtien Second Road, in front of View Talay Residence and resulted in the death of Mr. Timo Kalevi Kantsila aged 59 from Finland.
He suffered catastrophic life-ending injuries after he was run over by the coach which was unable to stop in-time. The driver, Khun Natawoot aged 42 claimed he was driving normally and spotted the victim standing on the central reservation. When the coach approached him he allegedly threw himself in the path of the coach.

The coach, operated by the Anex Tour Company was full of Russian Tourists at the time who were later transferred to a replacement coach and taken back to their Hotel.
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/120227/finnish-man-throws-himself-under-coach-in-jomtien/#sthash.IK7ypSHA.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-03-03

My heart also goes out to the Bus Driver who has to live with this for the rest of his life !!

Do you really think the bus driver will give a shit. He'll probably be drinking Hong Thong laughing about it with his mates rather than having recurring nightmares for the rest of his life. In all honesty i find compassion in Thais is non existent. They all appear to have a strange tendancy to enjoy seeing horrific things especially road accidents. Have you never noticed how they all like to stop and stare. Not to help , just to stare. In fact anything regarding injury or death seems to draw them like flies round shit.

Edited by nanapong

"where he saw Mr. Timo Kalevi Kantsila (the deceased) was walking across the road but when the tour bus approached him then he lay down on the road in front of the bus but he couldn’t brake in time"

If he first saw him walking, then he should have slowed down with time to brake. but probably chose not to.

Manslaughter.

• Like 1

My heart also goes out to the Bus Driver who has to live with this for the rest of his life !!

Do you really think the bus driver will give a shit. He'll probably be drinking Hong Thong laughing about it with his mates rather than having recurring nightmares for the rest of his life. In all honesty i find compassion in Thais is non existent. They all appear to have a strange tendancy to enjoy seeing horrific things especially road accidents. Have you never noticed how they all like to stop and stare. Not to help , just to stare. In fact anything regarding injury or death seems to draw them like flies round shit.

I agree with most what you are saying, but not with "I find compassion in Thais is non existent".

It's like saying: All people from <Insert Country here> are this or All people from <insert Country here> are that.

I guess the reason why they are not willing to help, is because of that they think there (maybe) consequences afterwards. Be a good Samaritan first and get sued later

Edited by MJCM

Somehow, the explanation from the bus driver doesn't convince me - to see a man walking and then lying down in front of the vehicle and being unable to stop is total fabrication, because it's physically impossible.

I am in agreement with another poster who stated that examination of the tour bus vehicle should identify which part of the vehicle first hit the deceased - that's if the evidence hasn't been washed clean...

• Like 1

Sorry. I don't get it. The article is a description of an unfortunate accident. Exactly what fundamental truth are we supposed to derive here? Edited by techboy

Remind expat not used all your life saving keep some overseas incase you need to used it, most are either cheated or lavish spending for the first two years in Thailand, As old age it's very hard to earn back money that has been use. Yesterday the 7th victims jumped from Suvanbhumi airport many due to financial problems. Proper mangement of your money are most important don't easily trust somebody in buying property or transfer to others account.

Foreigners carrying passports are usually on some kind of task unless in transit somewhere.

to your knowledge

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/local-laws-and-customs

I am aware of such pronouncements but I know for a fact at any given time most tourists are NOT doing so, nor SHOULD they. It's much safer to lock up your passport at home or in a hotel. Certainly when going to the beach, carrying with your passport would be almost insane.

I carry my passport with me always, everywhere I go, even while in the U.S.

I always know where it is, never have to look for it, never without it.

I must be insane.

Lol

Who knows !

If we take the drivers statement at face value - then he saw a pedestrian in the road and kept driving towards him, then he saw him lie down, and kept going, then he ran over him.

So there's two options - he was either going too fast to avoid a pedestrian in the road or he made no attempt to avoid him.

And the victim had 29 THB and a passport after he'd been searched.

The rest is speculation.

Whatever the facts it's a sad incident and there must be people back home suffering now.

• Like 1

If we take the drivers statement at face value - then he saw a pedestrian in the road and kept driving towards him, then he saw him lie down, and kept going, then he ran over him.

So there's two options - he was either going too fast to avoid a pedestrian in the road or he made no attempt to avoid him.

And the victim had 29 THB and a passport after he'd been searched.

The rest is speculation.

Whatever the facts it's a sad incident and there must be people back home suffering now.

Who could possibly dispute the drivers statement, he wouldn't lie.

Unless there is a different source, it seems the only witness to this tragic suicide was the bus driver.

Furthermore, if the driver "saw" the man walking across the road, and he couldn't stop in time because the man laid down in front of the bus, then it would not matter whether the man lay down or not... because he still couldn't stop in time. Perhaps the man saw he was going to be hit and tried to lay down hoping the bus was high enough to go over him?

Very sad.

Has anyone EVER heard of someone commuting suicide this was?

So, what odds its suicide, or the driver just ran over someone?

I have actually known two people attempt suicide in this was. One broke both his legs and survuved. He suffered pain for the rest of his life. The other was killed instantly.

I have also seen someone who attempted suicide by laying on a train line. Unfortunately he used the wrong line, the train came on the other line and removed both of his feet.

I agree with most what you are saying, but not with "I find compassion in Thais is non existent".

It's like saying: All people from <Insert Country here> are this or All people from <insert Country here> are that.

I guess the reason why they are not willing to help, is because of that they think there (maybe) consequences afterwards. Be a good Samaritan first and get sued later

Well , i don't go for the being sued bit. If that's the reason then why stop in the first place , why not just drive on. What's the quirky macbre like interest to any accident situation. They gather in crowds pointing and taking photos , even laughing but none ever helping. They'll even block the road so they can get a better viewpoint. Very strange behaviour if you're a Westerner so i find it rather odd most Thais seem to have a magnetic like attraction to these situations. Have you ever seen on Thai TV when there's a murder or death. Why all the people crowding around ,what's the attraction ?

On compassion i simply don't see it in the way i know it. Watching the BIL and his mates force half dead chickens into boiling water while laughing isn't my idea of compassionate people. The most horrific experience was attending a wedding in Issan. The demise of 4 pigs and 2 cows by means of sledge hammer over the head was a little distressing to say the least. The cry of them animals i'll never forget. However it didn't seem to distress any Thais watching. The women and children stood with excitement , knives and cleavers ready to carve it up without batting an eyelid to the animals fear and suffering. Not just Issan people. It was a wedding so they came from all over Thailand and irrespective where they came from none whatsoever showed the slightest amount of compassion for them animals. Maybe my understanding of compassion is wrong but i reckon most Westerners would have would have felt a twinge for those unfortunate beasts. Could you ever imagine letting your children see such a scene let alone encouraging them to see it. Good grief they'd have nightmares forever. lol.

Edited by nanapong
  • Like 1

This post started me thinking.

What if the bus driver was speeding and this guy was just casually (drunk or not) crossing the road, hopefully we will find out the truth.

The report on pattayaonenews says the bus was full of Russian tourists returning from koh Chang so there should be a few witnesses to what actually happened . R.I.P

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Rimmer
Quotes fixed

RIP to the deceased gentleman and sincere condolences to all his family and friend, It all sound a bit dodgy from laying down in front of the bus so quickly that the driver did not have a split second to brake or swerve, and as for having 29 Baht on his person I just doubt it so much unless he forgot to leave a tip some ware

At night (dark) I'm not sure any of the passengers would actually be witnesses to a high speed incident like this. It SHOULD be investigated. Based on the news report, it sounds like the easy thing is to buy the driver's story.