Flux In My Access Point. Is it a Power Problem? Or. What?

Here is a quick question which may be of interest to many people:

1. I have TRUE internet fed to my home by TRUE's Cable. They do not call it ADSL. But I still think that is what it is.

2. Here is my problem ---

a. My laptop which I have connected by WiFi signal shows 4 bars usually, but then often goes to 3, or even 2, despite the fact that the laptop and access point have remained stationary in the same position.

b. I have the TRUE cable coming in. I have connected the cable to the TRUE Cisco modem. Then I take an ethernet cable and connect it to the Linksys router which I am using as an AcessPoint.

c. My laptop is approximately 25 meters from the AccessPoint with ZERO obstructions.

d. As stated, usually the laptop will show a signal strength reception of 4 bars, but fluctuating down to 1, 2 or 3. At the moment I am getting 3 bars.

e. I have noticed that the lower signal strength seems to occur at night, even 4 or 5 in the morning, a time when most people have stopped using their computers.

f. So I am wondering if this might be a power problem, and the Access Point, or Router, or something else may not be getting enough power, because maybe the power company lowers the voltage at this time of day. WHO KNOWS, because I do not know about power plants in Thailand.

I could really use lucid opinions, and I am sure that others may be experiencing this same problem.

WHY SHOULD THE signal strength at the laptop remain constant. The access point is stationary, the laptop is stationary, and there are no obstructions.

The signal strength does not depend on whether the access point is even connected to the internet, or does it?

I mean, even though the internet cable is not connected, STILL the access point should be putting out a "carrier" signal, which should remain constant in strength. Or, this is what I had though.

But I do not know.

So I am asking you.

Thanks.

(After further checking just this moment, I see that what TRUE gave me is not ADSL but actually a cable modem, or DOCSIS. I asked for adsl, and I thought I was getting it, but NO, they gave me this. I don't think this should matter much because I am getting good speed up and down, but my concern is the bad signal, unstable signal from my AP to my Laptop.)

Edited by CzarThustraThusSpake

At night? Is there something you turn on in the dark such as a fluorescent light on your desk? What else electrical that's near any of the cable, modem, router or computer might you be turning on in the dark that might be causing interference?

Just a hunch you might check out.

• Like 1

At night? Is there something you turn on in the dark such as a fluorescent light on your desk? What else electrical that's near any of the cable, modem, router or computer might you be turning on in the dark that might be causing interference?

Just a hunch you might check out.

Yeah it may sound unbelievable but electrical appliances can interfere with wireless signals....could be a lamp you switch on at night your misses in the back room with the Hitachi, you mobile there are a lot of factors.

Download in[caps]SSID[non caps]er you can monitor all wireless signals in the vicinity in decibels, it could be your neighbour has a more powerful router signal on the same channel which is interfering with yours.

There will be an address you can type into your browser to log in to your router to change channel if that is the case. I've never used a cisco router but for most netgear routers is 192.168.0.1 default username is: admin and default password is: password or 1234 both of which you should change for your own security.

You should be able to find the default user and pass for the cisco on a google search entering your model number.

P.S. You didn't get ADSL because you're on fibre...that's a bonus.

Edited by rhythmworx

25 meters with no obstructions? Are you in the same room? Any wall will obstruct to some extent and I have such a router taking up shelf space as never had good wi-fi coverage from it (the no external antenna model). But as said no harm no foul - if your operation is not effected should be fine. Also as said it could be a light at night or the neighbors turning on there systems until they leave in the morning. But if you have a fixed position for laptop 25 meters away it might be good to run cable to it and just use the wi-fi for your phones and tablets? The modems operate on low voltage by converter transformer so even a large power dip would not cause much of a change and late at night voltage should be at its highest.

Have you ever thought maybe there are too many wifi signals in your area? Perhaps modem is auto switching channels and you're losing signal strength.

Take a look with inssider and try to find less occupied channel.

Also use 20 mhz band instead of 20/40 or 40 mhz (it will halve your wifi speed, 150 or 72 mbit/s)

Docsis cable is much more stable than ADSL and offers better upload speeds so you should be grateful.

You can always try to buy a cheapish 5ghz dualband wireless access point and use 5ghz band in your home if your devices support 802.11a 5ghz (Ultrabooks does, iphone and ipads too)

Edited by muratremix

Do a ping test to see of you're dropping packets or the speed is hugely different when you have 2 bars or 4 bars on your signal strength indicator.

At the command prompt type in your router IP address followed by -t

i.e. 192.168.0.1 -t

Let it run for a few minutes or longer if you want and then hit Ctrl C to stop the test. It will return results showing packets lost (if any), plus your speed.

Even though your signal strength indicator is showing varying degrees of strength (for whatever reason), the actual performance of your connection is probably not being affected much in reality.

• Like 1

25 meters with no obstructions? Are you in the same room? Any wall will obstruct to some extent and I have such a router taking up shelf space as never had good wi-fi coverage from it (the no external antenna model). But as said no harm no foul - if your operation is not effected should be fine. Also as said it could be a light at night or the neighbors turning on there systems until they leave in the morning. But if you have a fixed position for laptop 25 meters away it might be good to run cable to it and just use the wi-fi for your phones and tablets? The modems operate on low voltage by converter transformer so even a large power dip would not cause much of a change and late at night voltage should be at its highest.

The laptop is 25 meters from the AP.

The laptop is outside the house.

The AP is inside the house.

The only material between the AP and the Laptop is a sheet of window glass.

Are your modem and access point getting hot to touch? I had this and my solution is to have them sitting on one of those USB powered fan laptop coolers. Keeps the temperatures down and the speed up. Previously did this for ADSL modem/router combo, now using the same setup for True DOCSIS modem and access point.

Cheers

Do a ping test to see of you're dropping packets or the speed is hugely different when you have 2 bars or 4 bars on your signal strength indicator.

At the command prompt type in your router IP address followed by -t

i.e. 192.168.0.1 -t

Let it run for a few minutes or longer if you want and then hit Ctrl C to stop the test. It will return results showing packets lost (if any), plus your speed.

Even though your signal strength indicator is showing varying degrees of strength (for whatever reason), the actual performance of your connection is probably not being affected much in reality.

Right, so if performance is truly not being affected at 2 or 4 bars, then this is not such an important factor, as others have said.

I will need to wait until I get 4 and 2 bars before running this test.

If you want me to email you a free legit copy of 'inssider' I can do, I just noticed the new version on the site is not free anymore, the older version is, but is not downloadable there.

(Note to mods its free software so there is no rules being broken).

If you want me to email you a free legit copy of 'inssider' I can do, I just noticed the new version on the site is not free anymore, the older version is, but is not downloadable there.

Sure, go ahead, and thanks.

But, I am not sure how to provide you with an email address on here.

Maybe you can find a link?

Or, you could create a torrent? (This might help a lot of people, and you could link to it here)

Tks.

Well......that's kind of correct. Essentially it's a radio signal. Compare it to an FM radio station. If you live next door to the transmitter you'll get a better/stronger signal than somebody 10klm away with a clear line of sight as measured in dB.

But the fidelity of the transmitted data will be no different. Ie. on the same FM receiver and speakers, the fidelity, s/n ratio etc will be arguably identical.

However, if you're 80klm away with obstructions (or even 10klm away with obstructions) and maybe at the extreme receivable distance to the transmitter, you can expect fading and loss of signal.

So with your dedicated (not shared) wifi, provided you are not losing the signal/packets and the response times are not being affected, the signal strength (provided it's not being intermittently dropped etc) is a little irrelevant.

Try turning your aerial horizontal or vertical. If you have two aerials on your router, have one vertical and one flat. The orientation can improve signal strength based on altitude of the transmitter v. receiver (being on different floors for example), or what signal orientation the receiving unit has.

Edited by astral
Removal of quote - Please use Reply button a the bottom

On this AP/router, x1000, the antenna are internal, or fixed. This means that they can still be oriented, but you need to orient the unit itself, and you can't turn them 90 degrees to one another.

My main concern is not so much speed of up- or download, because that is fast enough, and I am using this network myself with no 2nd user. My concern would be degrading of the transmitted data so that it needed to be transmitted again, or losing data in an email so that the email would not send,

More critically, I am concerned that this could affect voice over IP, such as Skyping, or Google voicing.

Edited by astral
Removal of long quote - Please use Reply button a the bottom

Sure, go ahead, and thanks.

But, I am not sure how to provide you with an email address on here.

Maybe you can find a link?

Or, you could create a torrent? (This might help a lot of people, and you could link to it here)

Tks.

Create a torrent? Why not upload it to dropbox or mega.co.nz for us to download easily :)

Twenty five metres from the source to the computer is quite far, can't you get it closer?

Mine is only a few metres away and I see full strength all the time.

What type of technology are you using...802.11g is better than 802.11b for example, and 'n' units are better still.

When I have been connecting to a weaker signal I have seen the signal strength vary, almost randomly, for example it seemed to weaken when I connected to it!

A directional antenna may help.

Also see if you can change the Channel to prevent conflict with any other Wireless networks.

I would bet the issue is your Linksys router. IMO, Linksys is garbage. If you check the Linksys support sites, you will see your issue is common.

I would get a quality router like an Asus or if you really want a fast stable connection get the new Apple Airport Extreme. JMO.

1. If the all internal Linksys I found it very poor for wi-fi but if you have good signal at 25 meters that does not seen to be an issue for you. As for glass window is there screening on it or not? I have a 15db loss a finger width behind screen compared with plain glass at a distance of about 5 meters so not all windows are equal.

2. From your mention that you are outside even more suspect you may have other signals at night when people get home from work and turn on there systems for phone/tablets (but you may be in the wilds with no other source) so if that may be the issue use a monitor program to see what is being transmitted. Your home protects from some of this neighborhood signals but outside others may be much stronger.

The laptop is 25 meters from the AP.

The laptop is outside the house.

The AP is inside the house.

The only material between the AP and the Laptop is a sheet of window glass.

If the glass has a metalised coating or reflective film it can be a really big obstruction.

1. If the all internal Linksys I found it very poor for wi-fi but if you have good signal at 25 meters that does not seen to be an issue for you. As for glass window is there screening on it or not? I have a 15db loss a finger width behind screen compared with plain glass at a distance of about 5 meters so not all windows are equal.

2. From your mention that you are outside even more suspect you may have other signals at night when people get home from work and turn on there systems for phone/tablets (but you may be in the wilds with no other source) so if that may be the issue use a monitor program to see what is being transmitted. Your home protects from some of this neighborhood signals but outside others may be much stronger.

There is no screen, but there is one of those metal wire designs which are wide enough to let me slide the AP inside the wire and in direct contact with the window glass.

Around here, there are plenty of WiFi transmissions, and cell phone towers I would imagine. This is definitely not out in the sticks.