Canadian tourist plunges to death at Suvarnabhumi airport

webfact

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My assumption is that he may have had a quarrel with someone before he went to the airport that why he changed his departure date earlier. It seemed that he was not ready mentally to return to Canada. It is sad to end life in such a painful way. RIP.

By the way, the man in the picture must be an investigator with walkie talkie, definitely was not the late Canadian which is impossible to capture a picture of him before his death.

Edited by BrooklynNY

The multi levels of pedestrian walkways outside and the entrance to the swampy Terminal is poorly designed for safety.

There is no setback from the low railings which are half hazardly covered with chicken wire on the wide spaced rails which should be taller and no open space between the railings. Objects can easily be thrown from the elevated floors to the open public areas on the ground floor and the mere heights can be dizzying to many if they look over the railings.

Also children or persons with suicide thoughts or other maladies could climb over the low fence railings.

BTW: The 4th Top floor is the Departure floor, not Arrivals.

Whatever really happened with this tourist may never be known, but the safety precautions to prevent these type of things happening is seriously lacking.

AOT should do physical engineering upgrades to deter and prevent any future high floor incidents.

Edited by quagmirefg

What can push a man to take such a big decision?

I think that there should be a serious investigation to know why these cases are so common and similar in thailand among particularly ; foreigners while most of them were well-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

To some it's not a big decision, the big decision could have been whether to carry on or not?

• Like 1

Terribly sad for everyone. Especially shocking for bystanders also. Acute, sudden depression is a clinical condition. I know a family who experienced the deaths of three of their children to this dreadful illness over a two-year period. I hope this man's family are able to understand his circumstances and find some peace. Tragic for everyone. RIP.

Cut His stay short by 20 day to back to the cold rain, snow and gray skies of North America. Something happened to him before He shortened his visit?

Terminally ill, in pain?

Endless possibilities outside of the usual suspects.

• Like 1

There is a lot more to be known on this sad story. Was there anyone he was going back to, friends, family, or leaving someone - maybe not concensual? For someone who was meticulous in packing his belongings into various size luggage and carryons, assuring everything valuable was with him, setting down a soda can, he jumps to his death. No apparent note. This seems to reflect a severe personal conflict or tragedy that just finally overtook him emotionally as he begins his walk into the terminal; and chose to walk into eternity instead.

• Like 1

BTW- bit of uncorroborated hearsay- it's my understanding that 10 meters is the general limits of survivabilty from a fall.(from the iron workers at the steel mill.) Basically, anything over 2 stories, your chances of dying go up exponentially. I am sure there are exceptions and also stories of people not surviving a fall of only a meter or less.

having contemplated it myself a few times; it is a solution to a problem. It occurs where you have or believe you have few if any close relationships where you can 'talk' to someone / burden them .... some might say irrational ... but what is rational?

I disliked Gary Sweet as an actor, until he portrayed a bloke considering topping himself (Police Rescue); people think you have your shit together, but the line between sticking around or not is minuscule. No guilt, no recriminations it is what it always was 'your call'.

its not like he is the first, and likely not the last. i can specifically remember an Irish and a russian fellow who did same. I am sure there were others.Shockingly, we were treated to the cc tv footage of that act, thankfully that is not the case here.

there was talk some time ago about a 30 million baht glass wall, but apparently that has been shelved for now

http://asiancorrespondent.com/114578/bangkok-airport-to-install-glass-walls-to-prevent-suicides/

the news article is chock full of filler, but does go some way to indicate the problem at the airport

Yes, I remember the Irish man that jumped, there was a video clip of him jumping after attracting the attention of the security.

It was shocking.

RIP

• Like 1

There is no point in speculating or guessing. The man seems to have taken any reason for his decision with him, and that's it.

Respect his tragic loss of life without speculations in this forum, please.

His family are very likely to read this, and it's a terrible time for them. They don't need silly theorists clutching at silly straws. Thanks!

RIP young man! Condolances to all relatives, and those who knew him.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Surely that's not him in the picture, just before he jumped
I have been very low some times and managed to pull myself out of it but I believe that severe depression, if you get that low, no one can help u, u just want out. My thoughts only btw.

Yes it's true. How many times I had this feeling coming back to old unfriendly part of this world . It does not matter if there is a family or not. In some age nobody really cares about us not to mention western system which want's us to die quickly when at pension age.

Maybe this guy just wanted to stay in place he loved but could not afford to continue.. Maybe we never know...

• Like 1

There is no point in speculating or guessing. The man seems to have taken any reason for his decision with him, and that's it.

Respect his tragic loss of life without speculations in this forum, please.

His family are very likely to read this, and it's a terrible time for them. They don't need silly theorists clutching at silly straws. Thanks!

RIP young man! Condolances to all relatives, and those who knew him.

Though I respect your words, many of these stories are accompanied by photos of the victim after the fact, that I personally find far more disrespectful to any diseased guys loved ones......sad.png

• Like 2

Of course most of us beleive that there could have been a quarrel which pushed him to advance his departure thailand before his supposed date of departure. Strange enough that so many foreigners suffers from depression and dies too often from low railings in the land of smiles

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Fortunately, no one was injured, as there are benches below and people walking about. He could have quite easily killed or paralyzed some innocent bystanders. My sympathies and condolences to the people who were forced to witness this event, and to the local cleaning staff who had to clean up the mess.

• Like 2

The depression that is felt by many (me too) when leaving a place where you want to stay, is harder if you are older.

My history: came to Thailand first time, one week only (talked into it by a friend), met my later wife, fell in love with her, the country, the weather, the food, everything. Suddenly at the age of 56 I had a new plan, a future to go for.

I left, to a life with trouble: farm with 2 houses to sell, ex in one, me in the other, business ending, not a lot of money, quarrels on a daily base. Thinking of the life I just met in one week, opening my eyes, I felt very very sad to have to leave and to face the disaster life in Europe.

Maybe this man had the same experience, when he left his hotel he was planning to go home, when he stood at the departure floor he realised where am I going to?

Of course a theory, but I feel the sadness of leaving the place you learned to love, I feel it again, now 8 years later.

RIP Canadian man

• Like 1

As bad as it seems here to some.

What's waiting back home for a 64 year old guy? Bingo?

Plenty if you only look for it. A previous poster felt sad for "the old codger" A 'codger' at 64? Definition: (derogatory or affectionate) an amusingly eccentric, grumpy or old-fashioned old man. Doesn't seem to apply in this case at all.

I see life as divided into thirds - up to 30, up to 60 and whatever's left which is quite possibly 90 or more. I recently began my final third and I'm optimistic it will be the best one, because I want it to be. There have been times when I have felt otherwise, but right now my 'tank' has been refilled to a third full and it's enough!

Whatever happened in that man's life has no bearing or reason for comment on anyone not involved in it. He may have decided to do this on the spur of the moment, or had it planned beforehand. Who (among us commenting here) will ever know? Plenty of people, men, women and even children all over the world are driven to taking their own lives for a multitude of reasons (all intensely personal). Clinical depression is brought on by personal dissatisfaction with one's life. It seems to be on the increase in more 'developed' countries, as for that matter is clinical obesity (caused mainly by overeating unhealthy food), and I think the one is related to the other.

I somehow doubt there will be effective solutions (prescribed drugs may help) because the real answer lies within oneself: discipline, particularly self-discipline. It's not taught in schools and several generations of parents spoiling their children by giving in to their every whim seem to be aware of it. Taking the easy way out. There are good parents everywhere of course and I am generalising, so don't take offence if you are the exception. smile.png

I'm not going to wish the trite (some think obligatory) RIP to people, few if any of us here know, who have just died. It's a bit pathetic.

What is going on with spate of suicides of late? I know clinical depression is a killer though it seems to be on a daily basis. So sad for the codger and his family. If you're feeling down anybody, let someone know. In fact all your friends or even on TV. Their is a severe lack of help in Thailand for the I'll. Please reach out you will be surprised how many out here care.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I second that for sure. It is imperative if in a bad place to reach out. It is surprising how many people do care. Talk to some body about it. Don't feel that are "putting yourself on them". Also, many times the person you reach out to gets as much help as yourself, maybe even more. One concern I have about doing it on TV. I see that there are some "trolls" out there waiting to put in a "sick" comment at any given opportunity. If you do reach out on TV, perhaps you know one person that would check the replies. Sometimes one unloving comment might tip the balance in the wrong direction.

Exactly...see my post#21...as i feared,even post tragedy, the TV lunatics are out and about blathering about something they either know absolutely nothing about and/or worse making fun of such a tragedy...bah.gif

EDIT .. some of the info from post above {laobali] fits what i'm saying here also..

Edited by andreandre

What is going on with spate of suicides of late? I know clinical depression is a killer though it seems to be on a daily basis. So sad for the codger and his family. If you're feeling down anybody, let someone know. In fact all your friends or even on TV. Their is a severe lack of help in Thailand for the I'll. Please reach out you will be surprised how many out here care.

As bad as it seems here to some.

What's waiting back home for a 64 year old guy? Bingo?

I don't know about you but I have family,( Children, grand kids and 5 great grand kids) a home back in Canada plus enjoy fishing, skiing, camping, skidooing 4wheeling etc. Last year when I was a little bored, I undertook a trip up into the NWT and Whitehorse etc. 3 years earlier, I took a drive to the East Coast, Canada along with the USA has much to offer, all you have to do is go out and enjoy it. There are so many thing to do and enjoy I'm over 64 and and still looking for new places to visit and things to see. My bucket list still has a few items in it and hopefully will never empty. There is still Africa and South America to visit and explore.So don't let a number like (64) stop you. Enjoy life, it's yours.

• Like 2

Clearly you don't care or you would not have referred to the deceased as a 'codger'!