Mosquitoes in dry land

besth

Just curious. I recently moved into a new house and there is an abandoned property in the moo ban, I went there to have a look. Hundreds of mosquitoes flying all over as i walked by. There is not one drop of water in the property. I thought they only lived near water?

I wish that was the case, it is very dry around where I live, but tons of mosquitoes.... this year especially....bah.gif

They like to "hide" in cooler dark areas, under dead leaves or in long grass... during the day. I've even see them flying out of my flower pots, when I water....(damper area I admit) but too, a rain jacket I have hanging near my door, which if I move quite a number of mosses come flying out....

Occasionally I spray lemon grass in these areas immediately around the house, but it's a very short term solution..... (other sprays seem to be a very short term solution too) sad.png I also have a ultra violet zapper by my door, that does catch some of them, as I clean the wires every week or two..... but still a few get into the house....

Making sure you have no standing water around helps a bit.... there is not an easy solution to solve it.sad.png

I wish that was the case, it is very dry around where I live, but tons of mosquitoes.... this year especially....bah.gif

They like to "hide" in cooler dark areas, under dead leaves or in long grass... during the day. I've even see them flying out of my flower pots, when I water....(damper area I admit) but too, a rain jacket I have hanging near my door, which if I move quite a number of mosses come flying out....

Occasionally I spray lemon grass in these areas immediately around the house, but it's a very short term solution..... (other sprays seem to be a very short term solution too) sad.png I also have a ultra violet zapper by my door, that does catch some of them, as I clean the wires every week or two..... but still a few get into the house....

Making sure you have no standing water around helps a bit.... there is not an easy solution to solve it.sad.png

Where did you get your ultra violet zapper ?, been thinking of one for some time, never seen one in LOS .

Where did you get your ultra violet zapper ?, been thinking of one for some time, never seen one in LOS .

Big C usually has them.... 300 or 400 baht and up, if I remember. They look a bit like toys, some of them. Uses 3 watts of power. Having several around inside the house or porch might be better than just one ???.... (if you have power sockets) I brush the dead little buggers out with a very small paint brush...

If you google UV zappers you will find that they are almost completely useless. Keeping the screen door shut is more efficient. Mossie larvae need water, so old tyres lying around, blocked gutters, badly sealed cess pits and so on will be happy to breed mossies. They can be found at distances up to 1000 meters from there breeding place.

• Like 1

If you google UV zappers you will find that they are almost completely useless. Keeping the screen door shut is more efficient. Mossie larvae need water, so old tyres lying around, blocked gutters, badly sealed cess pits and so on will be happy to breed mossies. They can be found at distances up to 1000 meters from there breeding place.

Not completely useless, as I have killed a few hundred since getting the little one I got... I was a "doubting Thomas" about them too... Certainly not 100% but as least works to a point..

Agree any standing water source is not good, I find them flying out of the washing machine... which may hold a little water even after being drained..... should remember to put he lid back on! facepalm.gif Still the fact remains they like "cool" areas under leaves and in grass... during the day... bah.gif